FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Anyone tried the Kraken yet?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Anyone tried the Kraken yet?
HelveTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-11 06:53 am   Permalink

surprisingly found Kraken in my local village store.
I've bought a bottle just because it looked good.
it was worth it .. we like kraken here

View Profile of HelveTiki Send a personal message to HelveTiki  Goto the website of HelveTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-11 09:21 am   Permalink

I've got about 20-some empty bottles of that stuff since it was introduced.
Used to refer to it as blackout juice.
And one night between a friend and I, polished off two bottles.
Makes the best damn rum and cokes.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-11 11:38 am   Permalink

I agree. I don't do many rum & cokes, but a couple of years ago bought a trial bottle of Kraken on a friend's prompting and found the same to be true. Rum & cokes are often so-so, but with Kraken, I got a surprisingly good result. Your mileage may vary...

[ This Message was edited by: AceExplorer 2013-03-11 11:39 ]

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-11 11:56 am   Permalink

Also, DO NOT DRINK STRAIGHT.

Don't believe me? Go ahead, try it.

I've actually had many a discussion with bartenders about Kraken. The mixologists hate it, because it's not a good spirit on it's own (which usually results in them pouring me an ounce or two, and insisting I drink it on it's own. And I'm not a man to refuse a free drink.), but the bartenders who understand drinks with the word "and" in them love it, though it appears to be mostly a vanity thing with them. Kraken is cool, so is Sailor Jerry, with no insight as to the flavor profile of either.

Great damn bottle though. It's what I'm using for my Don's/Buhen unmarked bottles at my home bar, hence the saving of empties. And if anyone wants to save their empties and give them to me at HRHH5, I'd be happy to take them off your hands instead of them going to waste.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-11 12:44 pm   Permalink

Kraken makes a great "Painkiller" which I call a "Kraken Killer"

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-11 1:48 pm   Permalink

We do make a lot of Painkillers -- they are always a quick and fairly simple crowd pleaser -- and will have to try it with Kraken. Thanks for the tip.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-11 2:25 pm   Permalink

x2 on trying a Painkiller (one of my favorite drinks!) with Kraken.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-11 2:43 pm   Permalink

Hale, you can make tiki torches with all your empties

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-11 4:24 pm   Permalink

Saw this bottle at the local store and commented on it to my husband but didn't buy. Might have to reconsider it in order to mix up some painkillers. (Don't tell but I've been on a martini kick lately. When we start drinking outside I'll switch.)

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-12 03:58 am   Permalink

Mike,
My empties will serve as the unmarked bottles in my home bar. It's the Aku Aku Room at the Kraken House. I dig pouring by the loops. And I've seen some great stuff here on TC with them, so I mayyyyyyy have to collect some for crafts.

happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-16 8:46 pm   Permalink

I bought a bottle based on this thread..

I too love the bottle. Will make a great empty for my home-made 80-proof LH..

The rum? Mmm.. Not my favorite. I tried it in a few r&c's w/ Mexican coke & lime. The proof packs a punch, but the flavor is pretty lacking IMHO. I will try it in a painkiller when I get some pineapple juice & get a better opinion...

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-16 9:26 pm   Permalink

Here is my "Kraken Killer" recipe
I think this is better then the classic "Painkiller" which I am still a big fan of.

In a Cocktail Shaker, half filled with ice

2 oz. Kraken Rum
1 oz. Cruzan Coconut Rum
1 oz. Monin Coconut Syrup (I like this much better then Coco Lopez, which is lumpy & has a chalky after taste to it)
4 oz. Pineapple Juice
1 oz. Orange Juice

Give it a good shaking, pour into a tall glass or mug of your choice with more ice
and dust with Nutmeg.

Now enjoy the hell out of it!
Please let me know if you prefer this over the classic recipe, most people I serve this to, do....

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-03-16 21:29 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-18 04:01 am   Permalink

Thanks for the recipe! Now I know what I will be trying out tomorrow night. I found The Kraken in my local recently and have been experimenting with it - it mixes well.

I also like Monin coconut syrup, mainly because you can store it more easily than coconut milk etc. and it gives the same effect.

Now I need a little plastic kraken to go on the drink....

Toto, j'ai l'impression que nous ne sommes plus au Kansas !

[ This Message was edited by: Club Nouméa 2013-03-18 04:05 ]

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-18 12:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

2 oz. Kraken Rum
1 oz. Cruzan Coconut Rum
1 oz. Monin Coconut Syrup (I like this much better then Coco Lopez, which is lumpy & has a chalky after taste to it)
4 oz. Pineapple Juice
1 oz. Orange Juice

Give it a good shaking, pour into a tall glass or mug of your choice with more ice
and dust with Nutmeg.

Now enjoy the hell out of it!
Please let me know if you prefer this over the classic recipe, most people I serve this to, do....

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-03-16 21:29 ]

Sounds yummy, Ill have to try one .

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-24 07:22 am   Permalink

Used it in a regular painkiller. It was quite good, but felt like something was missing.
Thanks for the recommendation ATP.
Oh, and if anyone out there has trouble with Coco Lopez, I suggest dumping the can, oil and all, into a blender. Makes it smooth as silk, and although it'll still chunk up as soon as it hits other ingredients, it mixes, and stays mixed after you shake/blend it.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation