FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Canlis, Seattle, WA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Canlis, Seattle, WA (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-05 12:42 pm   Permalink

Name:Canlis
Type:restaurant
Street:2576 Aurora Avenue
City:Seattle
State:WA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
The Canlis Restaurant in Seattle is one of four restaurants that were owned and operated by Peter Canlis.

The Seattle Canlis opened in 1950 and is still operating today.

The most famous, and most Tiki, of the Canlis restaurants was located in Honolulu. The other two were in Portland and San Francisco.

I have picked up several different postcards from the Canlis restaurant located in Seattle.

Here are two exterior shots, one with a Tiki by the sign.

Here is an interior shot.

A Tiki and some Hawaiian artifacts can be seen.

Here is a Canlis matchbook I have, I love the Tiki art.

Another matchbook advertisting the Honolulu and Seattle locations.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-05 6:01 pm   Permalink

DC, that is a great discovery and very nice report. Love the pictures, you sure do have a lot of cool tiki stuff!

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-06 07:48 am   Permalink

Abstract,

Not really a discovery, there have been posts on this place before. I just got a thread started here on Locating Tiki.

Here is nice write up on the Canlis that Puamana posted some years back from the book "You Can't Eat Mt. Rainier".

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-06 08:51 am   Permalink

Yeah, Canlis is too coooool! Tres Tiki Modern. There is a great rendering of it out there, from the same artist who did the Mai Kai rendering....can someone post that here, please? Don't let DC do ALL the work!

So WHO has actually dined in the Seattle one, being that its meal ticket is out of the range of the average mortal?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-06 12:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-06 08:51, bigbrotiki wrote:
There is a great rendering of it out there, from the same artist who did the Mai Kai rendering....can someone post that here, please?

I have never seen that one before, I hope someone out there (Sabu?) can post it.

DC

Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-06 1:30 pm   Permalink

Damn DC you have the mother lode. Thanks for posting those night shots w/ the '59 and later Caddy's, along all your other postings....well appreciated.

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-06 3:05 pm   Permalink

Here's an artist rendering from a book called "Great Restaurants Of The United States and Their Recipes". Book has a copyright date of 1966.

[ This Message was edited by: Chub 2009-11-06 17:15 ]

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-06 3:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-06 08:51, bigbrotiki wrote:
So WHO has actually dined in the Seattle one, being that its meal ticket is out of the range of the average mortal?

we've been a few times. you're treated wonderfully, royally almost! ~ the steaks are amazing. the view of lake union is unbeatable. it feels luxurious just to walk inside! and when you depart, magically, your valet-parked car is under the portico for you!

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-06 3:41 pm   Permalink

Chub,

Thanks for posting the rendering, what a great look with the Tiki Torches, the Tiki lurking in the bushes and the Canlis sign. Was that from the Ford cookbook?

DC

Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-06 5:17 pm   Permalink

I just did a rescan of the image to see if I could get it any clearer. Take a look above. Also added the book info Dusty asked for. Here are a few more of the details...

[ This Message was edited by: Chub 2009-11-06 17:37 ]

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2009-11-06 5:34 pm   Permalink

Beautiful artwork, Chub! Thanks for the close-up scans.

The Canlis was built at the height of the "Age of The Expense Account" in the 1950s. A LIFE magazine article from 1953 states:

Peter Canlis, who's expensive Canlis Restaurant features the most luscious of Japanese waitresses bearing the most luscious of viands, says frankly, "I came to Seattle, saw that a lot of good expense account money wasn't being spent because there was no place fancy enough to gobble it up - and I was happy to fill the gap."

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-11-06 18:16 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-06 6:36 pm   Permalink

Yup, that's it, thanks Chub! Ain't it a beaute. If I ever come up North again, I gotta go.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-07 5:35 pm   Permalink

From Better Homes and Gardens Famous Foods from Famous Places (1964)

"Patrons of Canlis Charcoal Broiler Restaurant can be sure of excellent food prepared from the finest ingredients. The head chef, Joe Ching, coordinates menus and recipes among all three Canlis' restaurants, located in Seattle, Portland, and Honolulu. The Seattle restaurant, opened in 1950, is a contemporary-style building of gray stone and dark stained wood. Its location high above Lake Union allows one of the most dramatic views of city lights and water to be found in Seattle. Diners may look through windows to see tier upon tier of sparkling lights that climb the hills surrounding the dark water of the lake. Each table is softly lighted by a copper-shaded candle; room lights are held to a minimum so the drama of the setting becomes a part of the enjoyment of the dinner. Guests are deftly served by pretty Japanese girls wearing bright colored kimonos. A high point of any Canlis dinner is the pleasure of watching them prepare a Canlis Special Salad from a cart next to the table. With no apologies to Caesar the salad contains mixed greens tossed with croutons, minced bacon and grated cheese. All is blended with a dressing of lemon juice, olive oil, a coddled egg, and freshly ground pepper. Other specialties at Canlis are charcoal broiled steaks and chops prepared at the huge, copper-hooded broiler that's a dining room focal point. And a Canlis baked potato is a production in itself. It's freshly baked and topped with butter, sour cream, chopped green onions, Romano cheese, and bacon crumbles. Just as delicious are the poached shrimp and king crab legs served with mock hollandaise sauce. With coffee at the end of a delectable dinner, a cleverly folded napkin containing bright foil-wrapped candies is placed in front of each guest, a pleasant ending to a wonderful dinner."

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-26 10:47 am   Permalink

A nice ad on ebay now...the Hawaii location.

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-26 11:13 am   Permalink

One of the ironies of the changing urban landscape in Waikiki was that this place was turned into a Police station (if memory serves me correctly) before it went the way of all other mid-century Tiki temples in that town.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation