FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Canlis, Seattle, WA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Canlis, Seattle, WA (restaurant)
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-28 03:43 am   Permalink

I've never been here, and I'm 30 and have lived my whole life in Seattle. Always meant to go. Well into the early 90s it held a lingering reputation for being Seattle's most expensive/exclusive restaurant. And, until the Space Needle's restaurant was rebuilt a few years ago into SkyCity and the food improved dramatically, it was the only spot with a great view and (I'm told) great food.

I've walked around the place after closing just to look around the outside, but I'll have to go again and look for tikis. They still have doors decorated (or was it door handles? I saw them on my night visit) by late, great Japanese artist/sculptor George Tsutakawa, who graced Seattle with many wonderful fountains.

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-10 4:30 pm   Permalink

I just picked up a nice dinner/dessert menu set from the Seattle Canlis with that great redeging on the cover.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-10 7:54 pm   Permalink

Now that deserves to be "bookmarked"! The Beachbum used the black on white version in one of his tomes already, but this is better!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
monkeyskull
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-22 6:33 pm   Permalink

I hadn't been to Canlis in several years, and I knew from my friend Russell and other sources that they'd done some serious revamping of their cocktail menu. So that plus the fact that I'd never been to the bar itself, and hence hadn't added it to my personal "K-bar" project, inspired me to visit with a few friends last evening.

I knew I could count on Tiki Central for fleshing out some of the background info (and that Puamana's collection would probably be a part of that), and I had a nice chat with Mark Canlis over how Peter Canlis had brought various items and ideas from Hawaii to the restaurant. And I'd just like to point out to anyone visiting the Seattle area that you don't have to drop a small fortune on dinner to check out the place -- they're happy to have you just drop into the lounge for a cocktail or two.

My full review is
here.

[ This Message was edited by: monkeyskull 2010-04-22 18:34 ]

View Profile of monkeyskull Send a personal message to monkeyskull  Email monkeyskull Goto the website of monkeyskull     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-23 3:46 pm   Permalink

Monkeyskull,

Thanks for the bar review, sounds like fun.

Here is another rendering of the Canlis exterior from a Ford Times cookbook.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Const Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-24 5:41 pm   Permalink

Just in case you're curious, here are two pics of the Portland Canlis. It was at at the top of the Hilton. And not a tiki in sight.

View Profile of Const Tiki Send a personal message to Const Tiki  Email Const Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-25 10:19 am   Permalink

when I lived in Fremont we used to walk across the Aurora bridge to go have cocktails at Canlis for special occasions. The view across Lake Union, Spectacular! Love the upstairs private party room area. Diggin' these lates postings of artist renderings.

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-09 4:33 pm   Permalink

A new postcard, nothing too exciting, just confirmation that the Tiki shown in the illustration was in fact located out front of the restaurant.

What a great looking scene for a moonlight stroll after dinner.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-03 08:09 am   Permalink

Found a few more old photos of the Canlis online.

Some interiors. The kimono clad waitresses.

The bar with that great rock wall.

Looks like the Tiki was converted into some sort of candelabra.

The exterior with the Tiki

A later picture with some Tiki devolution

The tiki is still there, but the plants are taking over!

DC

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-02 06:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-06 15:05, Chub wrote:
Here's an artist rendering from a book called "Great Restaurants Of The United States and Their Recipes". Book has a copyright date of 1966.

[ This Message was edited by: Chub 2009-11-06 17:15 ]

That illustration is by Al Kocab who did the various illustrations for the Mai-Kai. You have seen his work on postcards and in the calendars. He also designed the table lamps and furniture in the Mai-Kai.

The book you have was written by Leonce and Kay Picot, illustrated by Kocab. Leonce was the marketing person/assistant manager at the Mai-Kai for 10 years from 1957 to 1967. He went on to open many high end restaurants around the country and wrote and edited many books on food.

Come see my symposium at Oasis for more on Leonce and how he left his mark on Tiki culture!

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs coming Spring 2011!

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2011-08-03 09:48 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-24 10:00 am   Permalink

A nice ad from a 1959 Restaurant industry magazine I have....I do not think I see the tiki, but given
this shot (see early car) was most likely taken after the "new" Canlis' was finished. OGR

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bobtiki
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2016-05-29 1:35 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all of this great detail, everyone! I've lived in Seattle almost three years now, and keep thinking this place looks really intriguing every time I go over the Aurora bridge on my daily commute. This might just have to be the location for our anniversary dinner this year. Thanks for giving me a reason to check it out! I wonder if any of the tikis are still there.
Kilauea Cove

View Profile of bobtiki Send a personal message to bobtiki  Email bobtiki Goto the website of bobtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2017-02-27 12:00 am   Permalink

Canlis 1953... I'm wondering could this tiki be the same one that ended up in the bushes by the door or could it have been the one turned into the chandelier behind the bar?

(photo from the Lenggenhager collection)

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-28 12:50 am   Permalink

In a visit to Seattle this month, we stopped by to see Canlis earlier in the day before business hours. Here's a couple of our photos, plus some images from the Interiors Book of Restaurants (which also has images of the Honolulu Canlis, posted over on that thread).

Door handle by George Tsutakawa (see more on him
here)!

Looking across the Aurora Bridge, this view is much more overgrown now with trees

Fireplace inside the entrance

The Orchid Bar on the bottom floor, with the bar itself lined with hopu bark from Hawaii

Lounge area in the Orchid Bar

Dining room, also you can see the operational Gas Works across Lake Union, which is now transformed into Gas Works Park

Charcoal broiler in the dining room

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation