FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki 1958 pics Waikikian / Tahitian Lanai
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
1958 pics Waikikian / Tahitian Lanai
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-22 12:40 am   Permalink

I was looking through my paper collection this weekend and found these pictures in a House Beautiful magazine dated September 1958.

One of the articles is titled "A simple roof is the whole building". An excerpt from the intro paragraph reads "...Polynesian inhabitants were living open shelters consisting of a roof. Built of poles and thach, this traditional form served their simple way of life very well. Today this native form, built with present methods, finds wider application."

"An adaption for hotel cottages. In 1956 this predominant roof form, somewhat modified by the addition of the flat side roofs covering balconies, was used by Wimberly & Cook, architects, in the design of the Waikikian Hotel."

"Skylighted-pierced roof for an interesting light pattern is important element in Canlis's Broiler restaurant, designed by architects Wimberly & Cook."

"Like so many modern Hawaiian buildings, the Tahitian Lanai restaurant in the Waikikian Hotel is so smooth an integration of Western, Oriential and traditional tropics colonial architectural elements that it amounts to a style itself."

"Jalousies, immemorially part of hot-country colonial buildings, are translated into a moveable wall of adjustable shutters. See how flexible they can be manipulated to control light, shade and air."

"The Samoan longhouse so impressed Edmund Fitzsimmons, himself a builder, that when planning to build his own home he asked his architects, Wimberly & Cook, to adapt it to the needs of his family. As you can see, the Fitzsimmonses didn't affect a bamboo and thach roof for a "South Seas" look. But they did build into their house the basic ideas that make the longhouse tropical in character."

One of the last articles in the magazine is titled "How to give a lulu of a luau". Most of the article is spent presenting food and drink recipes, but it contains one picture.

"The begining of a fabulous luau given at the home of Francis Brown, in Pebble Beach, California. A tent in motor court makes the dining room." Notice not one person in the picture is wearing any aloha attire, it's all formal wear. The article even recommends "...Guests should be asked to wear sun dresses, fiesta dresses, or true muumuus and holikus. Men should wear sport shirts - the gayer the better, or "lava-lava", the true South Sea island attire for men."

Finally, just a few interesting ads that were spread throughout the magazine.

And finally, a man shouldn't put on a formal diner jacket without one of these.

This Message was edited by: ZuluMagoo on 2003-04-22 00:48 ]

[ This Message was edited by: ZuluMagoo 2006-07-21 23:00 ]

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2003-04-22 12:50 am   Permalink

Great Pix!

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
urbanpanda

Posted: 2003-04-22 03:16 am   Permalink

sweet.

View Profile of urbanpanda Send a personal message to urbanpanda  Email urbanpanda Goto the website of urbanpanda     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-22 12:52 pm   Permalink

Nice pix! Very cool...

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-22 1:20 pm   Permalink

" Notice not one person in the picture is wearing any aloha attire, it's all formal
wear. The article even recommends "...Guests should be asked to wear sun dresses, fiesta dresses, or true muumuus and holikus."

The woman in front towards the right appears to be wearing a holomuu, and it looks like some Hawaiian fabric peeking out way in the back, but yeah, in general, this luau looks a little stiff. The limbo contest must have been a riot...

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-22 4:53 pm   Permalink

I thought I'd add in some color shots from my postcard collection for comparison. This was was really a COOL place before they shut down.

Don't these pics make you long for a trip to Waikiki in the 1960's? You would of had a chance to visit this place along with Trader Vic's, Don the Beachcomber and Davy Jone's Locker.

Zulu

[ This Message was edited by: ZuluMagoo 2006-07-21 23:10 ]

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-22 5:04 pm   Permalink

ZuluMagoo, I was in Waikiki in the 60s...I was just too young to go boozing, alas.

Awesome pics and postcards, but I still can't get around the idea of a Polynesian bow-tie.

emspace.

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-04-22 7:16 pm   Permalink

Posted: 2003-04-22 16:53

Here's the last older picture of the Tahitian Lanai from the magazine

I thought I'd add in some color shots from my postcard collection for comparison. This was was really a COOL place before they shut down.

Don't these pics make you long for a trip to Waikiki in the 1960's? You would of had a chance to visit this place along with Trader Vic's, Don the Beachcomber and Davy Jone's Locker -----

I rememeber being at a place that I think was called Davy Jone's Locker in Honolulu when I was a kid. I remember being on the second floor eating lunch and that the floor was covered in peanut shells(which I thought was pretty cool). Am I remembering the name of the place correctly, anyone? Does this vague description sound about right.
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-04-15 9:25 pm   Permalink

Thought I'd resurrect this outstanding thread, to add a relevant article I just came across, from a 1962 Waikiki newspaper. Check it out, "Tiki Bob" Bryant left the mainland (and Tiki Bob's, I guess) to be the manager here at the Tahitian Lanai.

Also, since Canlis was mentioned above, here's an ad for the Canlis from the same newspaper.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-04-15 9:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I rememeber being at a place that I think was called Davy Jone's Locker in Honolulu when I was a kid. I remember being on the second floor eating lunch and that the floor was covered in peanut shells(which I thought was pretty cool). Am I remembering the name of the place correctly, anyone?

Close. The actual name of that place was "Peter Tork's Locker".

-Randy (j/k)

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mbonga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-15 9:42 pm   Permalink

Beautiful pics and architecture. Thanks for sharing. It's almost like going back in time, especially on that color photo looking down on the sunny lawn with the wooden roof on the side.

View Profile of mbonga Send a personal message to mbonga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-16 05:56 am   Permalink

Thanks for resurrecting this, Aquarj! Very cool photos. That shirt Spence Weaver is wearing is pretty amazing...

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-16 06:16 am   Permalink

...and I always wondered what happened to old Bob! I bet that Tiki Bob's Mainland flop tapped him out financially and he decided to bail SF, leaving his corner joint to Florence. I'd taken the job!
It really seems like the Waikikian/Tahitian Lanai complex was the nucleus of Tiki modern in 50s Hawaii (I am just working on the chapter where I have four pages reserved for it):

1.) Pete Wimberly, its architect, was THE tropical modern architect of Hawaii. He designed Don The Beachcomber's and the International Marketplace, Canlis, and Tiki Tops, Kau Kau Jr, Coco's for Spencecliff restaurants. Also the Hotel Taahara in Tahiti, home of the giant OA Tiki.
2.) Edward M. Brownlee, a sculptor who did lots of great Honululu mid-century modern public and commercial art, did all the carvings, Tiki posts and outriggers for the complex
3.) Barney Davis' Leeteg gallery was located on the mezzanine of the hyperbolic paraboloid lobby
4.) Spence Weaver and his Spencecliff restaurant systems who ran the Tahitian Lanai was THE Tiki modern restauranteur of Waikiki, operating all the above mentioned restaurants, plus the South Seas, Hawaiian Hut (see Puamana's thread from yesterday) and Trader Vic's
5.)Stanley Stubenberg, my favorite Tiki modern graphic designer in Waikiki, did the Menu cover for the Tahitian Lanai, and probably also the design for the carved Tiki panels behind the bar
And now Bob Bryant joins that illustrious gang, wow. I gotta squeeze that in there somehow!

I feel so fortunate that I got to stay at the Waikikian before it closed, and walk through its torchlit Tiki gardens to the Tahitian Lanai, to listen to the old timers play their Hapa Haole tunes, stand up base and all.
And despite not being able to make it to the closing auction, I ended up with a Tahitian Lanai Marquesan Tiki bar stool, a set of Shoji screen Tiki masks and a desk handle carved with the Lobby A-frame for my collection.
I even saw with my own eyes the original rendering of the complex as seen in the famous postcard above, the wife of the contractor who tore the place down keeps it in her house, not willing to sell it. Luckily there is an original brochure with a fold out reproduction of it which is fine for reprinting it large in my book.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-16 07:13 am   Permalink

I too was fortunate enough to visit that place when the polypop craze was in its roots and made the Tahitian Lanai my new favorite watering hole. I remember first mentioning it to a coworker and he said it was a nice place, but bring your friends with you because everyone there will be at least 30 years your senor. I had no trouble with this since I was so tired of this alternative music that was everywhere at the time. Everyone there was very welcoming and I even got the pianist to play Quiet Village several times with folks surrounded it humming along. The only tiki mug available then was a white coffee cup with the logo on printed on it, I still have mine. I liked the huts that dotted the swimming pool best where you could hear the music but not be assaulted by it.
It seemed almost every month the papers said it was going to be torn down and a day later the management denied this so even when the time came for it to close you could never sure.
But a few weeks before the auction I paid a visit to the front desk wondering if the tiki lamps (which each room had) were for sale and he led me to a room with a few left and told me the maids took most of them home. So somehow I balanced 7 of them on my moped and made it home. Like the building these were also in neglect and had the cheapest worn Woolworths lampshades on them, half of them had the original plugs and wiring that needed replacing. Later I found out I got there minutes before a dealer hit the place who bought the remaining 2 Ku lamps (At this time those desks were stacked up in the parking lot waiting to be hauled away.). He also snagged the tiki masks and I bought a set of them for $6, and showed some scones, shell lamps and a few Waikikian bags that were so old the seams came apart when you opened them.
This place maybe long gone but it certainly left behind a lot of artifacts.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-04-16 11:53 am   Permalink

BTW, here's the other related thread from 2003 where Gecko posted pics of what was left of the Tahitian Lanai after it closed.

-Randy

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation