FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki 1958 pics Waikikian / Tahitian Lanai
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
1958 pics Waikikian / Tahitian Lanai
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-22 06:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-21 19:37, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,
Quote:

On 2013-02-21 17:20, bigbrotiki wrote:
You know I am not sure anymore if these were designed by Stubenberg, or by Edward Brownlee. I seem to remember that Jeff Berry told me Brownlee claimed them to be his work. But they just seem so much like Stubenberg's style. Maybe Stubenberg drew them, and Brownlee carved them? I think Brownlee is still living up North somewhere...

Have you not been reading? Edward Brownlee, CLEARLY states in his letter (as transcribed in Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs) "I carved the panels around the broiler from the 'Tahitian Lanai.'" And yes, Ed and Phyllis are living in Oregon. And, pictures of both locations ARE in my book...

There ya go! I must have had that info in the back of my mind, too. I have so much Tiki data stored up in my aging brain, I forget stuff. But as I said, maybe Stubenberg sketched them? They just seem so stylized for Brownlee. But then he was such a young and crazy artiste still at that point ...as can be seen in this mural he did for the Princess Kaulani Hotel:

So really, I shall rest my case, and not dabble in assumptions any longer: I say Less has his answer!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-22 07:24 am   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

...as can be seen in this mural he did for the Princess Kaulani Hotel:

That was at the Coco Palms on Kauai...

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LessZoa

Posted: 2013-02-22 1:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-22 06:54, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-02-21 19:37, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,
Quote:

You know I am not sure anymore if these were designed by Stubenberg, or by Edward Brownlee. I seem to remember that Jeff Berry told me Brownlee claimed them to be his work. But they just seem so much like Stubenberg's style. Maybe Stubenberg drew them, and Brownlee carved them? I think Brownlee is still living up North somewhere...

Have you not been reading? Edward Brownlee, CLEARLY states in his letter (as transcribed in Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs) "I carved the panels around the broiler from the 'Tahitian Lanai.'" And yes, Ed and Phyllis are living in Oregon. And, pictures of both locations ARE in my book...

A big mahalo to Mr. Roberts - will definitely seek out the book (that link in your siggy is a start!)

And yes, Less now has her answer!

As the panel is up in the cafe where there is drink & food service, is kinda hard to get up closer to it (even for staff) and the piece really needs a dusting! Once I get some hot coals lit under some feet for cleaning time, I'll be doing detail shots. There is a lot of history and good memories behind this item and is a definite conversation starter with the early morning crowd. Sometimes we get staffers from HiNewsNow or the HPD who come in regularly and I catch snippets of conversations related to memories of the Tahitian (especially from older cops).

View Profile of LessZoa Send a personal message to LessZoa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-22 2:04 pm   Permalink

I am glad this important piece is garnering renewed interest! Please keep us updated here.

Quote:

On 2013-02-22 07:24, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,
Quote:

...as can be seen in this mural he did for the Princess Kaulani Hotel:

That was at the Coco Palms on Kauai...

Well I'll be darned...then Mr. Brownlee must have confused the location in his own portfolio! :

...I do forget stuff, but I am glad I'm not totally loosing it yet

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-22 11:55 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2013-02-22 14:04, bigbrotiki wrote:
I am glad this important piece is garnering renewed interest! Please keep us updated

Very strange.

It came to me in a lot of tourist slides marked "Coco Palms." Jeff and I both spoke about IT as being there... Back to the library I suppose...

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-28 5:19 pm   Permalink

I picked up this cool little rate sheet from the Waikikian.

Wonder if this Tiki was on the grounds?

Nice description of the grounds.

And how about those prices!

Back of the brochure.

I like this logo with the Waikikian Incorporated into the building image.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-29 1:36 pm   Permalink

Great catch on the logo, had not seen this before.

Here is a great shot of Waikiki in 1962.

You can see the Waikikian Hotel in the foreground, with the A-frame lobby and the Lanai rooms extending to the Tahitian Lanai and the lagoon dug out by Henri Kaiser:

On the left is the Kaiser Dome, and on the right, right behind the Waikikian, I believe I can see the original grass hut bungalows of the Hawaiian Village Hotel:

The empty lot IN FRONT of the Waikikian is where the first real high rise hotel signaled the beginning of the change of the Honululu skyline in 1964:

The ILIKAI Hotel

A decade later, the tropical paradise of Honululu looked like this:

WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-29 4:33 pm   Permalink

DC~ great find on the logo!

BigBro~thanks for sharing a quick history lesson, you always have an ability to add some new & interesting information!

~kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-12 08:07 am   Permalink

This drink recipe was in the House Beautiful of the first post. It's a more scaled back version of Trader Vic's Tahitian Rum Punch for one.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-27 11:58 am   Permalink

For sale on ebay right now.This 1963 hotel receipt from the Waikikian.

Pretty cool.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-10 05:07 am   Permalink

Tori Richards has a shirt for sale called the Tahitian Lanai that was inspired by the bar.

http://www.toririchard.com/browse.cfm/tahitian-lanai/4,294.html

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-10 07:02 am   Permalink

Nice design! But can the Tiki archeologist discern any specific patterns that are related to the place? Nothing rings a bell with me - do you see it, Nauga? It's got an authentic modern primitive vibe, yes, but for 128.- bucks....? I guess the 100 % silk and the "Mother of pearl shell buttons laser engraved and dyed to match" make it expensive.

naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-10 08:59 am   Permalink

It's Tahitian Lanai in name only, if anyone really wanted to make a shirt based on the bar they would have to include a reference to the focal point Brownlee carvings above the bar. The only stretch (and it's a huge leap of faith) I can find is the triangular patterns on the shirt that look similar to the ones on the patio of the Tiki Tower on the Waikikian Hotel and that's not even the bar. I was just happy someone still references it, albeit it's starting to get into the slippery sloop of Tahitian Lanai revisionism.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-10 8:04 pm   Permalink

Aaaah! - That slippery slope of Tahitian Lanai revisionism! A hotbed of controversy among Tiki philosophers and scholars! We will fight any dissemination of thought from this den of iniquity!

naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-11 04:43 am   Permalink

I already have this in the crosshairs
http://www.yelp.com/biz/tahitian-lanai-bar-and-grill-kapaa

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation