FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » 1958 pics Waikikian / Tahitian Lanai
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
1958 pics Waikikian / Tahitian Lanai
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-19 05:59 am   Permalink

This is a post from a food blog where the author's aunt was once a bartender at the Tahitian Lanai. Although the restaurant is better know for its architecture It's nice seeing the tiki filled bar.
http://juanitamore.wordpress.com/2013/02/18/tutus-legendary-mai-tai/

Tutu’s Mai Tai

1 oz dark rum
1 oz light rum
1/2 ounce Orange Curaçao
1/4 ounce rock candy (simple) syrup
Juice from one fresh lime (about 3/4 ounce)

Pour all of the ingredients except for the dark rum into a shaker with ice cubes. Shake vigorously. Strain into an old-fashioned glass half filled with ice. Top with the dark rum. Garnish with a cherry.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-19 12:14 pm   Permalink

We lost a lot with the demise of the TL and grounds.
Whatever hotel blight is there now is nothing but a soulless moneymaker.
And yet they blame the homeless for stifling tourism in Waikiki.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-25 11:00 am   Permalink

Was poking around flikr and found this great slide photo from the Waikikian Gardens posted by Kamaaina 56

The tropical plants, the lava rocks, the clam shells, the A-Frame... what a scene!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-25 12:16 pm   Permalink

A few more flikr photos of the Waikikian exterior from Kamaaina 57.

The lobby building and hotel signs.

Tower building with that great exterior art.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-25 3:54 pm   Permalink

I miss that great building next to the Waikikian pictured above! Glad you posted a pic I could save of it! While I'm no fan of the huge building that fills the space where this building & The Waikikian used to be, in all fairness, and to add some sort of positive note..I must say, the lagoon fronting the place beachside is in better shape & lovelier than it EVER was under the Waikikian. They did a really nice job when they redid the lagoon, or upgraded it, creating a system where fresh seawater circulates inside the lagoon, making the center island really beautiful & it's swimmable now (it was really gross to try & swim in it when I moved here in 81) & there are paddle boats now. I think it's quite a nice spot.

[ This Message was edited by: Kaiwaza 2014-04-25 15:56 ]

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-25 8:39 pm   Permalink

On our first trip to Hawaii we of course stayed in Waikiki. On the trip from the airport we passed by the Waikikian it was a real head turner, in my case literally! My first thought was, why couldn't be staying there. We were only there a few days and I never found my way back, I wish had.

aloha, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-26 08:59 am   Permalink

Great stuff, as always, DC. Thanks for the pics!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-26 10:05 am   Permalink

Jack Lord pointing at the Ilikai - turning his back to the Waikikian tower. A rather symbolic gesture!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-31 7:59 pm   Permalink

Tikis in the lobby of the Waikikian!

DC

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-01 07:14 am   Permalink

WOW! Anyone know where those Tikis ended up?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-01 8:48 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Those are new to me. Not Brownlee carved, so I'd suspect they are later additions. No clue where they might have ended up.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-02 08:36 am   Permalink

I saw one of them shortly after the place closed down in front of a strip mall on Kona St.then it was gone with in a month. Also if you look closely at those tikis you'll see they're not made of wood but a clear resin that has brown leaves suspended in it to create the illusion of a wooden finish.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-02 2:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-02 08:36, naugatiki wrote:
I saw one of them shortly after the place closed down in front of a strip mall on Kona St.then it was gone with in a month. Also if you look closely at those tikis you'll see they're not made of wood but a clear resin that has brown leaves suspended in it to create the illusion of a wooden finish.

OK....that leads to another question.... Did these tikis have a mold? Where the bloody hell are the molds?? I want the molds!!!

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-02 3:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-02 08:36, naugatiki wrote:

That's pretty wild!

msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-06 3:45 pm   Permalink

Here's a unique shot from '61 via ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Slide-Royal-Waikikian-Hotel-in-Honolulu-Hawaii-1961-/400718746172?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item5d4cb2d23c

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation