FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki 1958 pics Waikikian / Tahitian Lanai
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
1958 pics Waikikian / Tahitian Lanai
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-29 3:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2011-10-27 23:37, Dustycajun wrote:
And another cool photo of the main entrance building with the Ilikai and Hilton Hawaiian Village looming in the background.

Great stuff. FWIW, all three buildings in the background are the Hawaiian Village - Rainbow Tower, Lagoon Tower, and conference center.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-29 7:32 pm   Permalink

That's what I thought. Thought maybe I had myself turned around the wrong way. Thanks!

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-29 10:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

The day they blew down the HV I dodged HPD/heavy security and hid out in the parking structure seen behind the arch to watch it go from very up close. Lot's of unique history down in dust, RIP. BTW, the ol' girl looks beautiful even in contrast to the iconic arch. What a shame they're all gone.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-30 08:58 am   Permalink

Randy, thanks for that clarification on the adjacent buildings. The Ilikai was of course on the other side of the street from the Waikikian. Here is an aerial showing the the Hilton buildings, the Ilikai, and the Waikikian site being demolished/reconstructed.

And a few more old shots of the area pre-Ilikai.

Msteeln, cool story. Did you take any photos?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-15 01:43 am   Permalink

Saw this at the Stadium swapmeet,(Oahu) this past Sunday. The person selling it said the people he bought it from said it was from the 50's....asking price $250.

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-15 10:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Msteeln, cool story. Did you take any photos?

I wasn't expecting to be there, just happened to be at a friend's nearby bar and went with the moment to see how close I could get. The dust was so intense it got all into the air conditioning of the bar, making a huge (and expensive) mess, thwarting my retreat back to a safe and comfortable haven. Lesson; always turn off the AC for a bit when next to a demo site!

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-18 07:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-11-15 01:43, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
Saw this at the Stadium swapmeet,(Oahu) this past Sunday. The person selling it said the people he bought it from said it was from the 50's....asking price $250.

And now it's for auction

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Orleans-Jazz-Band-Tahitian-Lanai-drum-/250934553290?_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4284443539952613444

I've never heard of New Orleans jazz exotica but I wouldn't mind hearing a Creole version of Quiet Village.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-20 9:25 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Msteeln passed me on another auction...

"John Norris and the NEW ORLEANS JAZZ BAND OF HAWAII."

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-27 08:52 am   Permalink

One of the desks is on auction
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1950s-Hawaii-Mid-Century-Tiki-Style-Desk-Tahitian-Lanai-Hawaii-/270878111617?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1197f781

I was quoted $500 for shipping which is a little too rich for my blood but maybe not for yours, what a great computer desk it would make, alas.

[ This Message was edited by: naugatiki 2011-12-27 08:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: naugatiki 2011-12-27 08:54 ]

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-27 09:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

I was quoted $500 for shipping which is a little too rich for my blood but maybe not for yours, what a great computer desk it would make, alas.

Which is why it might stick around at a nice price for me, if I can just get it home on The Bus!

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-04 7:43 pm   Permalink

Saw this great photo of the Waikikian shot from across the lagoon on ebay. What a nice view, the last stand to the high-rise on the beach.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-05 11:07 am   Permalink

I'm thinking the Waikikian is the backdrop on this well-known LP then. I thought it might have been the Polynesian Cultural Center, but more lately thinking perhaps the old Ulu Mau Village....but it looks like the above photo, doesn't it?

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-05 11:13 am   Permalink

Aloha,

the LP cover is Too early to be the PCC... Too built up for the Ulu Mau at the time... Most likely the Kaiser's Hawaiian Village... Second choice would be the Waikikian.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-13 6:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-10-04 19:43, Dustycajun wrote:
Saw this great photo of the Waikikian shot from across the lagoon on ebay. What a nice view, the last stand to the high-rise on the beach.

DC

Hey, DC, the photo is even better in person. Yeah, I have it. There is SO little Waikikian/Tahitian Lanai memorabilia available that I revel in it every time that I am able to possess a small morsel of it!
I KNOW that there are more photos/movies out there. I just wish that they would surface so that we could enjoy them.
~kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-16 11:45 pm   Permalink

Kele,

I am so happy that you got that photo! PM your address and I will send you the extra luggage label I have if you need one for your collection.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation