FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Share your Papua New Guinea pieces
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Share your Papua New Guinea pieces
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-14 12:16 am   Permalink

(Apologies if I missed an extant thread that covers this territory.)

Papua New Guinea pieces are some of my favorite Oceanic Art, and inspired some of the best Polynesian Pop graphic design of the '50s and '60s (especially Lyle Wheeler's stuff for Aloha Jhoe's & South Pacific). I've always been enchanted by the great pieces my friends have scored over the years, and recently I finally got some of my own.

As you probably heard, the owner of the Palo Alto Trader Vic's passed away recently after a long illness. He also owned an art gallery near my work in Menlo Park that had many old PNG pieces on offer. The pieces were very cool, and were ones he'd often personally collected on trips there over many decades of loving PNG art. But they were priced well out of the range of what I could afford, so it was only window shopping for me.

His wife (now widow) doesn't groove quite so much on the PNG stuff, preferring mainland Asian art instead. Once he passed on, she cleared out the inventory. 70% off. Whoa. Nelly.

I've wanted one of these for so, so long. It's a gope board. There are a few of them at the Palo Alto Trader Vic's. They're just so cheerful. Until you consider that their purpose was to enlist your ancestors to torment your enemies. But maybe they tormented with irrepressible cheer! Take that!

This is a canoe prow. It has birds on it. And black dye that is getting everywhere.

This sort of has to be seen in person to really get all the detail. I'm going to have to rig up some sort of special light on it in the bar, maybe. It's a yipwon/wanleg/kamangabi, depending on who you're talking to.

This is a... uh... a... well, it's a bird, standing on some skulls, which are sitting on a stool that has actual feet for feet. Yeah, I don't get it either. But it reminds me of Tiki tOny.

So, that's what I've got! I'm going to try to hold my PNG acquisitions to just this stuff, because I want to keep the bar balanced, and a little PNG goes a long ways. But boy howdy, do I love it.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-14 07:14 am   Permalink

I can already tell that this is going to be one of my favorite threads.

Wonderful pieces Humu....absolutely, wonderful! Congratulations.

Thank you for sharing these.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-15 5:25 pm   Permalink

I have a few PNG items laying around:

A food/nut mortar smasing set

You put food or nuts on these guys heads and smash it up with the other long piece

A handheld mask and a hook piece

A gable carving and a dancer figure holding a mwei mask

Storyboard and mask

4' tall Yipwan

My favorite piece, a walking stick:

[ This Message was edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2009-11-15 17:28 ]

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-11-15 6:01 pm   Permalink

That walking stick is nice.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-15 7:57 pm   Permalink

Ooooooh, amazing stuff, Buzzy. That walking stick has so much going on, it's lovely. Those nut mortar fellows are really cool, too, I haven't seen anything like that before.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-16 12:21 pm   Permalink

here are the few that I have managed to get my hands on ,

Admittedly I know jack about em but I dig the way they look and appreciate the amount of time they took to finish.

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-16 5:57 pm   Permalink

Tikiville, I love that last figure. Man I wish I had some cool PNG art to post!

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-18 3:03 pm   Permalink

i'm pretty sure these are PNG pieces:

from the Bellevue Traer Vics

i love the details on the feet, hands & arms

from this
this sale

Trader Vics Bellevue

from anthropologist's sale

from Sophista-tiki

Shield from Trader Vics Bellevue

purchased from the director of the Burke Musuem in Seattle

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-18 4:04 pm   Permalink

Saw these at Elicia's home during our Seattle jaunt..
That Big Guy Downstairs is AMAZING!!!!
Still trying to figger out a way to steal that one....

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-18 4:36 pm   Permalink

Buzzy, what do you want to trade for the cane :-)

Dogbytes, I am in "LOVE" with you collection...this is only the second time I have seen an animal figure in the mouth of one of these ancestral figures, and I've been doing a lot of reseach lately on PNG styles. Look at those carved feet! And your Asmat shield is just plain mouth watering...TOTAL YUM!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-23 6:51 pm   Permalink

I don't have many authentic pieces. I really do prefer the Poly Pop version of PNG art.

I'd like to replace the missing shells around the eyes and under the chin on this mask.

There used to be a guy who sold PNG souvenirs at one of the SoCal flea markets. I bought these from him.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-23 8:16 pm   Permalink

MORE! MORE! MORE!!

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-24 11:42 am   Permalink

I actually don't have much PNG stuff, I don't have the room and it's too "authentic" for me, I like more fake Oceania. But this Asmat shield appealed to me:

Not only because it was already mounted on a gallery stand (for that"Primitve Art Gallery" look):

...but because it was made into a lamp :

...which creates a nice orange glow behind the piece:

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-11-24 11:47 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tahitiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-11-24 5:23 pm   Permalink

Found this one at the goodwill a while back.

View Profile of Tahitiki Send a personal message to Tahitiki  Email Tahitiki Goto the website of Tahitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-07 2:41 pm   Permalink

Just got this Ebay find hung up !

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation