FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Share your Papua New Guinea pieces
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Share your Papua New Guinea pieces
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-01-24 4:11 pm   Permalink

lancelink, that is an amazing table! Where did you find it?

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lancelink
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-01-24 4:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-24 16:11, tikilongbeach wrote:
lancelink, that is an amazing table! Where did you find it?

Picked it up at a flea market in Santa Rosa. The person I bought it from had no idea where it came from. Someone had it in a barn for a long time judging by the dirt I cleaned off the top.

View Profile of lancelink Send a personal message to lancelink  Email lancelink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-01-26 10:53 am   Permalink

That table is worth quite a bit of money so definitely baby it. The one I found online cost $900.00.
The Palau Prison produces a lot of storyboards for the tourist trade. It's a relatively new art form that was introduced by occupying Japanese forces in World War II.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ragbag Comics
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-27 9:41 pm   Permalink

Here's the PNG trio occupying some wall space in our house...

This one, a Sepik Hook Mask, was a gift from my parents a bunch of years ago;
It's definitely older, but was picked up at an antique mall in a town in downstate
Illinois that's known to be home to a lot of missionaries. Perhaps this came back with
some missionary back in the 60's or 70's...Seashells for eyes, and along the perimeter of
the mask. The "hair" sticking out of the top seems to be some kind of plant fiber...

Several years later, we snagged this small shield in a different shop:

And most recently, this (likely the oldest of our trio) came from an estate sale with
many PNG and African artifacts. The guy we bought it from said it seemed like most
dated back to the 50's, 60's, or possibly earlier. I assume he was basing that date
on everything else in the sale- he was definitely not proficient in antiquities. Regardless,
this guy looks totally creepy and bad ass... we love it!

--Pete

View Profile of Ragbag Comics Send a personal message to Ragbag Comics  Goto the website of Ragbag Comics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-28 06:26 am   Permalink

I've never seen a spirit hook that has that face mask with it. It looks almost like two different pieces were put together. Very cool.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ragbag Comics
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-27 11:25 pm   Permalink

This newbie in the center of the picture came wandering in a bunch of months ago (apologies; I am extremely terrible about posting anything on here...working to rectify that...)

He's about 20" tall and came from an estate sale; tag says it dates back to 1947, but I highly doubt that...seems like most PNG artifacts that have found their way into the US marketplace could've been made in the 1980's but LOOK like they date back a century. If I had to guess, I'd say late 70's, early 80's, but still... it's a spirit figure, and extremely well made.

The price was right either way- we love 'im! He doesn't cause too much of a ruckus.

--Pete

View Profile of Ragbag Comics Send a personal message to Ragbag Comics  Goto the website of Ragbag Comics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-30 6:01 pm   Permalink

This thread got bumped, and I found 2 pieces this weekend, so it's time for an update. Here are the pieces that I've added to the permanent collection since my post on page one of this thread:

20" Figure and 15" hand mask

24" Oceanic Arts wall hanger

12-13" wall hangers

32" and 21" hangers

Fork and spoon set:

Tobriand Islands finger drum and croc:

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-30 6:30 pm   Permalink

Wow Buzzy, the fork and spoon are insanely amazing!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-02 08:56 am   Permalink

My PNG dealer in Bloomington Indiana is headed out on a buying trip middle of this month. If you want something specific, let me know and he can search it out for you. The shipment should be here in October and I am planning an expedition to visit once it is all ready.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-02 08:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-02 08:56, Swanky wrote:
My PNG dealer in Bloomington Indiana is headed out on a buying trip middle of this month. If you want something specific, let me know and he can search it out for you. The shipment should be here in October and I am planning an expedition to visit once it is all ready.

I think that's the same guy I've bought stuff from! I've got some fantastic pieces from him. Really great stuff. And reasonable. Hmmm. I'll have to do some thinking on that.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-02 09:43 am   Permalink

I would love to get my hands on some PNG items, but they always seem very expensive and I'm not sure where to look other than on eBay or perhaps Etsy. Since I am just re-employed, my budget for things is ridiculously low. Are the PNG items usually seen on those sites about right or inflated?

Sorry, I know that is really general questions, but just trying to get an idea of what I might spend on a couple pieces. i really like some of the Gope boards and the Spirit Hooks seem to draw me in.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-03 06:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-02 09:43, littlegiles wrote:
I would love to get my hands on some PNG items, but they always seem very expensive and I'm not sure where to look other than on eBay or perhaps Etsy. Since I am just re-employed, my budget for things is ridiculously low. Are the PNG items usually seen on those sites about right or inflated?

Sorry, I know that is really general questions, but just trying to get an idea of what I might spend on a couple pieces. i really like some of the Gope boards and the Spirit Hooks seem to draw me in.

- Dale

The guy in Indiana sells on ebay, and has reasonable prices. If you're buying a few pieces, he's even more reasonable. And he seems like a heck of a guy. I found reference to him, and his shipping crate of PNG stuff on an old site from like, 2007. It would seem that almost certainly, he's the guy Swanky is referring to. Really beautiful stuff, all in pretty decent condition (expect SOME age), and like I said. Reasonable. You have to respect that, considering the amount of time and work that goes into bringing that amount of PNG stuff back.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-03 09:26 am   Permalink

He sells on Ebay as auau. He keeps the prices low to get more of the art to the people.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-03 7:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-03 09:26, Swanky wrote:
He sells on Ebay as auau. He keeps the prices low to get more of the art to the people.

That's the guy! Won't buy a PNG piece from anyone other tham him ever again if I can help it. Can't say enough nice things.

littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-03 9:19 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys. He is the person on Ebay I have been looking at. Might have to wait for a bit, but at least now I know who to turn to and trust.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation