FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Share your Papua New Guinea pieces
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Share your Papua New Guinea pieces
Ragbag Comics
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-05 09:05 am   Permalink

Forgot to put up this bad boy...

My folks found it someplace in rural Wisconsin (go figure)

It's almost 6ft tall:

Story is that it came over from PNG with a bunch of other
artifacts. It was purchased directly from the guy that made it.

Now have a line of defense against spear attacks.

--Pete

View Profile of Ragbag Comics Send a personal message to Ragbag Comics  Goto the website of Ragbag Comics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-12 4:03 pm   Permalink

Kandingai spirit mask.

View Profile of Zinctiki Send a personal message to Zinctiki  Email Zinctiki Goto the website of Zinctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-07-12 6:00 pm   Permalink

That picture kind of makes it look like it's picking it's nose.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-12 9:42 pm   Permalink

Ha! Yeah, that's a fish coming out of his nose

View Profile of Zinctiki Send a personal message to Zinctiki  Email Zinctiki Goto the website of Zinctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 6:44 pm   Permalink

Advertised in Perth, Western Australia - 22nd August.

Would probably make the kids think twice about hanging out in your Tiki room
when you're not at home.

I would be more than happy to act as middle man for anyone interested.

The owner seems to have quite a collection and I'll add any others that come to light.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/clarkson/other-antiques-art-collectables/skull-authentic-asmat-ancestory/1026172120
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/clarkson/other-antiques-art-collectables/skull-asmat-ancestory-genuine/1026175791

Pictures in case ads disappear:
$10,500 AUD ***Edit: Price markdown - 24th August - $9,500 AUD negotiable.***

$8,500 AUD ***Edit: Price markdown - 24th August - $8,000 AUD negotiable.***

[ This Message was edited by: komohana 2013-08-23 17:41 ]

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-22 3:28 pm   Permalink

Why is the second one less?!?!? It's GORGEOUS.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-11 9:04 pm   Permalink

Snake eats croc eats snake kundu.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-12 09:19 am   Permalink

For anyone interested, I am thinking we'll take a road trip to Bloomington in October as a new shipping container arrives from PNG. I don't have a lot of room left, but am looking for a few things. If you want to join me, please send me a PM. Once it becomes "official", I'll make it an event and spread the word more.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-10 2:48 pm   Permalink

Imposing at 3 feet tall, hard to capture it close up.

The bottom half of the cowries and clay were gone. My first attempt to restore one of these. Got the shells online, brown & black acrylic paint and some brown clay from Micheal's. Oh, and some hard-to-find little shells from Auau (thanks!)

Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-17 4:20 pm   Permalink

Some pendants and a ?????

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-17 5:45 pm   Permalink

i dig seeing everybody's crazy png items. i have a few cool things made out of animal parts.

cassowary bone daggers 9" to 16"

croc head necklace

monkey skull with boar tusks and rib? bones necklace

kangaroo skull with cassowary claws and feathers necklace
and some wood pieces

spirit figure 4' tall

slit drum 6'6" long

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

[ This Message was edited by: kingstiedye 2014-02-17 18:49 ]

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-17 7:08 pm   Permalink

Awesome collection you have there Bullet!

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-18 07:52 am   Permalink

thanks erik. you too. i really dig that canoe prow on page 3.

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-18 4:24 pm   Permalink

Great stuff KTD!

Why is it that I can totally picture you wearing those necklaces while you are chilling at home

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-01 5:13 pm   Permalink

I picked this guy up a few years back. I just got around to taking a good look at it and researching what it was used for. A big part of collecting for me is finding out as much as I can about an item. I'm no expert just curious. It appears to be an Aripa, also called a Kamanggabi from the Arambak people. They live in they Korewori river area of the lower Sepik region. Here is a description of how they carving was used.

"Aripa are considered living beings who communicate with men and animals. Male Aripa help initiated men in hunting and warfare. Some are owned by individuals and some by clans. The sculptures may have been placed in the caves in memory of their owners or to accompany the bones of the deceased along with other bone mementos from successful hunts and wars.

Before a hunt, a man smears his carving with his own blood and animal excrement. Red betel nut juice might be spit on the carving. These actions appeal to the Aripa for help. That night, the invisible soul of the Aripa hunts. If the hunter's plea was successful, the Aripa will later direct him to his prey. The hunter presents the Aripa with bits of the meat after the kill. Similar rituals were used for war."

The beauty of the carving it's what caught my eye at first and I was sure it was a PNG piece. The dollar price tag seal the deal. I have read that these carvings were smoked to give them a weather resistant coating and this one has a nice coating. Has nice wear along the back wear it has been held over time. It's one of my favorite pieces I my collection and displayed proudly in the bar.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2014-03-02 04:23 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation