FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Share your Papua New Guinea pieces
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
Share your Papua New Guinea pieces
tikilease
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-10-26 10:00 am   Permalink

This may have been talked about before and i apologize if it has but I watched a great documentary last night on Netflix called " The search for Michael Rockefeller " and if you are a collector of PNG art you should check it out as he was involved in purchasing art from tribes in the area before he went missing and you will see in the doc a lot of great examples of carvings...huts ... canoes ... tapia ... and different tribes masks and art including the Asmat's. Pretty interesting and again ...chock full of PNG carvings!

View Profile of tikilease Send a personal message to tikilease      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-26 6:23 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-10-26 18:24 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-26 6:23 pm   Permalink

These two are the only other ones I own, for now.

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-10-26 18:24 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-11-24 08:51 am   Permalink

This collection belongs to an old friend, she is 85 years old. She and her husband have traveled all over the world since the early 60's. She must have hundreds of artifacts from all over the world that she has collected along the way. I love visiting her because she lives in a fabulous MCM house up in the hills in Tarzana that she bought in 1959 and she has not touched anything to change the house. This is part of her PNG collection.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-07 07:35 am   Permalink

In the last couple of years i've been fortunate to have been able to add a few really, really nice PNG pieces to my collection but i have to say that is probably the cream of the crop.

A woven mask from the Karawari River area, circa 1930. I got this, another woven mask from the same region and era, and a handful of spears for an absolute steal from the same seller. I doubt that i'll ever come across such a bargain again.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle Goto the website of swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-07 08:54 am   Permalink

Amazing piece, any chance you can put pictures of the rest of your PNG pieces?

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-07 7:36 pm   Permalink

Outstanding piece Robbie. Is it big enough to fit a human head?
I’m with Hilda-More, More!
Cheers

swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-07 11:03 pm   Permalink

This is me wearing it David, and in my hands the spears and other mask i mentioned in the post above. You would have seen pics of my other stuff over on Instagram, Hilda, but when i take some better photos i'll definitely post them here to this thread.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle Goto the website of swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-07 11:59 pm   Permalink

Robbie, you’re gonna think that I’m lying again.
I shared your pic with CeCe and when I asked her to guess who was behind the mask- she quickly responded with “Robbie”.
I almost dropped my Paralyzing Pufferfish.
Give us some warning when you’re gonna raid the States again-Hope it’s soon Cabron!
Later
Btw, that’s some awesome PNG stuff.Also, I will pose the same Question to Joe and Rosemary on Saturday at the Original Tiki Marketplace.

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-09-08 00:02 ]

swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-10 01:42 am   Permalink

Wow! CeCe nailed it and there wasn't really anything in that photo to give me away. Hopefully i'll be back soon David.

Here's a PNG storyboard i picked up today. Had my eyes on this for quite a while and the stall owner in the antique store is closing down so everything is 50% off. I'm glad i held out because although it was a reasonable price to start with, now i got it for a steal.
Now i'd just like to know what it says.

(Photo has been enhanced slightly but the colours are pretty accurate).

swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 9 days ago; 11:24 pm   Permalink

Scored this today. Thinking it's a shield rather than a Gope board. Either way i'm stoked.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 8 days ago; 03:24 am   Permalink

"Now i'd just like to know what it says."

It's a PNG advertisement for Pizza Hut.
They made them in the 1970s.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 7 days ago; 09:54 am   Permalink

Swiz, that's a beauty.

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 6 days ago; 4:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-11-14 23:24, swizzle wrote:
Scored this today.

I've been in to looking at, and making copies of these, after finding this one a couple weeks ago

Yours has a good ratio of the dark parts, with the color trio Ive been looking for.So, I knocked one off after you posted on Finds yesterday morning. Carved it yesterday, and just finished painting it.

Part of the herd now

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 6 days ago; 6:28 pm   Permalink

Haha. Nice one Skip. There are a lot of birds on it so you could be right.

Thanks hiltiki. I love it. It was a great find.

Buzzy! Thief!!!

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2017-11-17 21:53 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation