FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Albert's Tiki Village, Sacramento, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Albert's Tiki Village, Sacramento, CA (restaurant)
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-18 10:07 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the pics PTD.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-11-19 01:05 am   Permalink

A few years ago, bigbadtikidaddy gifted me with a big stack of Xerox copies from a cache of old Northern Cal. phone books he found, including this ad for Albert's Tiki Village:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-11-19 01:37 am   Permalink

A few more interesting places from the old Sacramento phone books that might require their own threads:

The Bali Hai seems to be a perfect example of Polynesian Pop, mixing Indonesian food with a Maori Tiki, a Hawaiian Outrigger, and a South American Toucan.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-11-19 01:41 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-19 05:00 am   Permalink

Nice work Sabu .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-19 11:49 am   Permalink

Again, not to dwell further on other Sacramento places than Tiki Village, but this concept seemed familiar:

We are talking third generation Trader Vic logo Tiki here.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-11-23 13:05 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-21 09:02 am   Permalink

I found somthin

pic courtesy of Paipo

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-21 2:10 pm   Permalink

The God of Fortune indeed! I found something too:

Another Sacramento Tiki place using Albert's Logo Tiki! Maybe it was opened by Albert himself, later? Isn't a Smorgy buffet a 70 s concept? I don't know American culinary history that well besides Tiki..

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-22 10:46 am   Permalink

Nice matchbook Sven.

tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-22 11:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-21 14:10, bigbrotiki wrote:
The God of Fortune indeed! I found something too:

Another Sacramento Tiki place using Albert's Logo Tiki! Maybe it was opened by Albert himself, later? Isn't a Smorgy buffet a 70 s concept? I don't know American culinary history that well besides Tiki..

From Wikipedia...

"Smörgåsbord (Swedish pronunciation: [ˌsmœrɡɔsˈbuːɖ]) is a type of Scandinavian meal served buffet-style with multiple dishes of various foods on a table. In Norway it is called koldtbord and in Denmark it is called kolde bord. Smörgåsbord became internationally known as Smorgasbord at the 1939 New York World's Fair when it was offered at the Swedish Pavilion's "Three Crowns Restaurant".[1] It is typically a celebratory meal and guests can help themselves from a range of dishes laid out for their choice. In a restaurant, the term refers to a buffet-style table laid out with many small dishes from which, for a fixed amount of money, one is allowed to choose as many as one wishes."

I recall smorgasbord was popular term for me growing up....mid-late 60's, but not as much in the 70's. I think it was more of a 60's thing., that spilled over into the early 70's. After that it kinda switched over to the less exotic sounding "buffet".

The 60's and 70's had definite trends in European style foods like French....Fondue was a big trend in the late 60's and 70's....also Wine And Cheese places were popular in the 70's....They saw their heyday like Tiki Restaurants did, and went away just as fast.

I wish restaurants would use the term Smorgasbord again....It sounded so classy.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-23 1:07 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I miss "smorgasbord" too!

My absolute all-time favorite was an old Swedish Smorgasbord that used to be in Huntington Beach, near the old Library, off of Main Street.

Old school style, small but delicious food. It was there for years.

I was really bummed out when I heard the place had closed down...this was years ago.

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-23 1:22 pm   Permalink

To answer my own question and support Jim's memories:

These phone book ads from 1962 prove that Smorgasbord was indeed already popular during the heyday of Tiki:

tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-23 3:36 pm   Permalink

I hereby move to re-instate the term smorgasbord as a permanent replacement for the term "Buffet" here on TC.

Much more classy

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 11:19 am   Permalink

No to get off the topic of Tiki Village , but there was an actual restaurant called the Smorgasborg .My prents took me there when I was a kid in the San Gabriel valley .

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-18 08:10 am   Permalink

The Tahiti Buffet is still there but has no tikis. As a teenager we had a meal at Albert's. Dan and I went to the Coral Reef once before it closed. The Zombie Hut was special and a real crime that it closed. Wendy

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2012-07-29 10:42 ]

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation