FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Kon Tiki, Waikiki, HI (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Kon Tiki, Waikiki, HI (restaurant)
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-25 3:55 pm   Permalink

Yeh, that's a cool matchbook and you don't see it very often.
I can't find them right now, but I have some round paper coasters with the same boat logo on them with the stylized Kon Tiki name on it just like the above matchbook.
I think they also say Hawaii on them.
I will try to find them and post unless someone else has one accessible.

Mahalo, TabooDan

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2010-03-25 16:05 ]

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-25 4:04 pm   Permalink

You just gotta look in the right spot and there they are!

Here's the coaster that's like the matchbook on the bottom of the last page:

TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-25 8:15 pm   Permalink

Taboo Dan,

Great coaster, thanks for posting. Have you ever seen that type logo for other Kon Tiki restaurants?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-16 6:46 pm   Permalink

Nice interior shot shows the atmosphere well.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WJHScrimshaw
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-16 6:52 pm   Permalink

Love that SABU photo just above my post...she's got some great swimming muscles.

View Profile of WJHScrimshaw Send a personal message to WJHScrimshaw      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-10 09:25 am   Permalink

Here is the ugly alien mug from Kon Tiki Sharaton I found at Goodwill yesterday. It's made by Steve Crane. I know most of you find this mug ugly, I like them because they are so ugly.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-18 09:23 am   Permalink

Aloha! Actually made by DAGA for Steven Crane!

Quote:

On 2015-08-10 09:25, hiltiki wrote:
Here is the ugly alien mug from Kon Tiki Sharaton I found at Goodwill yesterday. It's made by Steve Crane. I know most of you find this mug ugly, I like them because they are so ugly.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-28 3:47 pm   Permalink

Found this today

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-26 09:55 am   Permalink

On 2010-01-07 00:32, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:

I just saw this tiki online and wonder what came first! Has anyone seen this thing before?

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTeddie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-03-27 1:26 pm   Permalink

Some further information on the Kon Tiki at the Sheraton in Waikiki for those interested, including lots more photos of the interior. This was the last of the Kon Tiki chain to open June 1971 and was the last to close in 1993, yes, it actually lasted until then. Might be some new information for some people in the below newspaper extracts from the Honolulu Advertiser and the Honolulu Star.

May 30th, 1971 - some nice details on the layout of the restaurant :

June 25th, 1971 - description of the opening event on June 22nd, 1971 :

Oct. 26th, 1971 - early ad for the restaurant :

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTeddie 2017-03-27 16:03 ]

View Profile of TikiTeddie Send a personal message to TikiTeddie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTeddie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-03-27 1:35 pm   Permalink

August 5th, 1973 - evidently that spray of tikis in the central room was in a pond of water :

January 13th, 1974 - a never seen before photo the elevator that took you from the cocktail lounge up to the main dining room :

June 23rd, 1974 - lots of standard tiki fare on the table, and same large shell lamps on the wall as seen in other locations :

View Profile of TikiTeddie Send a personal message to TikiTeddie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTeddie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-03-27 1:46 pm   Permalink

June 1st, 1975 - free ice cake if it is your birthday!

August 24th, 1986 - lots of those table lamps that I most definitely covet :

September 13th, 1987 - free Kon Tiki salt and pepper shakers during Aloha Week!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTeddie 2017-03-27 14:13 ]

TikiTeddie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-03-27 1:56 pm   Permalink

September 11th, 1988 - some more of the interior :

August 6th, 1989 - some nice tiki mugs on display, still in general use and a nice closer photo of the forest of tiki :

August 13th, 1989 - a sign that things are not going well, but a nice photo showing some mugs, and interesting what looks like printed one, and shakers :

TikiTeddie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-03-27 2:08 pm   Permalink

February 7th, 1991 it was reported that the Kon Tiki would be closed temporarily and that 30 staff were laid off because of this. The article also talks about large downturn in the hotel and restaurant trade in Hawaii.

September 15th, 1991 - Kon Tiki is reopened, a new menu will maybe save the day, lets put tablecloths on those beautiful organic form monkey-pod tables...what else?, oh nice glass salt and pepper shaker...

The Kon Tiki in Waikiki hobbled along for another year and a bit, there are ads for Mother's Day lunches and Xmas specials in 1992, sadly 1993 was the end. I found nothing on how the contents were dispersed or sold, though others in this thread has stated some of the items went to a local marina.

December 26th, 1993 - a list of places that closed in 1993...

I feel like I just wrote some tragic love story!

Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-27 2:18 pm   Permalink

Wow! What a trove of articles you've unearthed, Teddy! I remember the recession from the early '90s. Had no idea it hit Hawaii so hard.

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation