FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving My First Carving or What I spent my night doing.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
My First Carving or What I spent my night doing.
nicholauslee
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-11-19 12:07 am   Permalink

I decided to try my hand at carving finally, this is my first attempt at wood carving in general.
I also decided that for the first carving I wanted to use only hand tools.

So I cut down a try using nothing but some handsaws and a couple hatchets... and it took way too long.

Then tonight, I started carving away, this is what I have so far.

Obviously it's just the beginning of a long task.

I already learned one thing, and that is I need to learn more about trees and the types of woods.
My dad tells me this is an Ash tree, and that it's a very hard wood... at this point, I have no reason to not believe him...

View Profile of nicholauslee Send a personal message to nicholauslee  Goto the website of nicholauslee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Customkiis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-11-19 09:06 am   Permalink

That is too funny about the Ash. Yes, it is going to be horrors on your arms and tools, but it might out live you. . You might want to cut it in half and just finish the bottom that you started. Let the top portion cure somewhere out of the weather.

I would peel the log, unless you are trying to incorporate the bark into the carving. What I have found to be the easiest way to peel a log is to use a 1" flat chisel and remove a strip of bark running the length of the log. Then, start peeling the log around it's circumference. Once you get the chisel under the bark it usually comes off pretty easy. Sometimes you can luck out and it will come off in large pieces.

It works for me

View Profile of Customkiis Send a personal message to Customkiis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-19 11:24 am   Permalink

Welcome to TC Nicholauslee, Glad you found us. Love your first carving, looks like you've done it before. Yes the Ash IS very hard but you should be able to get lots of tight detail. Good luck,, we'll be waiting for more progress shots.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-19 5:28 pm   Permalink

Stay at that hard wood and complete it. The ash has has a beautiful grain when finished with natural stain.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-20 3:59 pm   Permalink

welcome!! and i cuncure w all!!and this is a great start!!keep it comin!!! git r dun!! lol! cheerz!!

View Profile of BIG tiki scott Send a personal message to BIG tiki scott  Email BIG tiki scott Goto the website of BIG tiki scott     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nicholauslee
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-11-20 10:08 pm   Permalink

First, I'd like to say thank you all for the kind words. I'm pretty happy with the way this thing is turning out so far. hopefully things will continue to work out okay for me, and I won't mess everything up with a single stroke.

View Profile of nicholauslee Send a personal message to nicholauslee  Goto the website of nicholauslee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nicholauslee
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-11-30 12:51 pm   Permalink

Just thought I'd post an update as to how this is coming along. Still a long way from being finished, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. Any suggestions or critiques are welcome.

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-01 11:02 am   Permalink

It's getting better and better as you go along. Gonna be a nice one.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aweulekuula
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-01 5:00 pm   Permalink

Ooooooh!

I like the way this guy is going. Sometimes the best work is the one we are forced to do slowly. It usually gives the finished tiki a whole different feel and meaning.

Awesome work so far!

Aloha!

Marcus

View Profile of Aweulekuula Send a personal message to Aweulekuula      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-01 5:20 pm   Permalink

Lookin good so far. Great start. Get a little more depth around the eyes and nose and I think you'll be really there.

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nicholauslee
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-29 9:59 pm   Permalink

So, this is why I haven't updated on this in a while. I went out one day to continue working on Lono, and behold, a beautiful crack had started right up the middle of his face.
So here are the photos as he stands now, and all the cracks he has gained along the way. Again, if anyone wants to contribute advice, I'll be more than glad to listen. Although I'm thinking it may be too late. I figure I'll let it dry out over the winter and see how bad it gets.

This is the matching crack up the back and side.

TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-30 11:09 am   Permalink

crack shmak...it looks cool !
Finish it up and enjoy it !

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aweulekuula
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-31 11:13 am   Permalink

Many a good log will split while being carved. Heck, I saw a few replica tikis at Hawai'i's City of Refuge in Honaunau while they were being carved and the logs were already splitting already. Keep on it and just see the cracks as part of the character for the finished piece.

Aloha!

Marcus

View Profile of Aweulekuula Send a personal message to Aweulekuula      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-31 1:28 pm   Permalink

Hey, cracks happen. Look at any art book about south Pacific carvings and you will see a lot of them. Keep carving and you will be surprised how well the crack fits in with the primitive look when you are done.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-01 11:14 am   Permalink

yeah, just keep carving before it drys all out. You notice the deeper your details get the better he looks? Carve Deeper. See how little his nose sticks out from the face? Just drop the upper lip down at least an inch and work that out all around and you'll see his nose grow and everything will start to pop. Don't worry about the cracks or "Checks" as wood workers call them. Keep up the good hard work, it's obvious you are having a great time and showing reaL Progress.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation