FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Cardboard tikis!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Cardboard tikis!
amybean
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-11-23 12:36 pm   Permalink

Finishing up some new pieces for a small art show opening in Dec. I'm interested in all kinds of archetypes, and have been making one of a kind toys and dolls for a few years now.

These are all wall hung pieces, lightweight, inexpensive to produce, and will ultimately have small embedded systems (Arduino boards, motion detectors, LEDs, buzzers) added for colored lights and sounds. These are toys that play with YOU!

Anyhow- some progress pix of my crafty art or arty craft or whatever you want to call it:

...will post the finished ones when they're, you know, finished! Thanks fer lookin'

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-23 4:43 pm   Permalink

Cool stuff! Welcome to TC, and thanks for sharing. I love paper craft, can't do it myself though (except for origami rocks). Lovin' the hair on that last piece.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean

Posted: 2009-11-23 6:49 pm   Permalink

Thanks, TikiMango!

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-23 7:16 pm   Permalink

Shows a lot of promise AmyBean, can't wait to see the finished product. The electronics is a cool ideas (I had to look up what an Arduino board was )

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean

Posted: 2009-11-23 7:51 pm   Permalink

There's so much incredibly inspiring work on this site! I am really psyched to have stumbled in... on my way... to another...cocktail recipe...blogggg...

amybean

Posted: 2009-11-24 6:17 pm   Permalink

Lucha Robot Tiki 1

Lucha Robot Tiki 2

bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-24 8:36 pm   Permalink

AnyBean, sorry, AmyBean...
My 2 cents, I really dig your emphera Tikis, I like your interpretation of TiKi in the first two.
Being a fighting robot nerd myself, I like your Lucha Robot. I at first thought; "That's not very Tiki" but thinking about fighting tiki's...that works for me, although I'd rather see you explore traditional TiKi in your paper medium.
Let's see more! And Welcome.

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean

Posted: 2009-11-25 12:13 am   Permalink

Thanks, Bananabobs! The bigger ones are still under construction, but here are some more of the
little and flat. They're not even Lowbrow- they're No-brow!

ps- see if you can guess which one is a tribute piece to a famous TikiFarm mug

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-25 06:43 am   Permalink

Amy, I clicked on the link to your website, and DAMN, what an avalanche of cool art!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Blisskitchen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-11-25 09:42 am   Permalink

Nice work Amybean,
What are you using to seal up the edges that show the corregation? Have you considered building up areas with gesso? I would love to see a finshind one with the lights and such.

View Profile of Blisskitchen Send a personal message to Blisskitchen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-25 11:11 am   Permalink

Really like your art a lot. I am a big fab of anyone who does something different than just paint or just sculpting out of clay.

Personally I am looking forward to seeing that shrunken head piece completed .

Thanks for sharing and welcome to TC

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-25 12:13 pm   Permalink

How fun! Watch out for paper cuts - those cardboard cuts are the WORST! I like the first two - are they wall sconces (for electricity not candle!)? I like the ones you just posted too - NICE! Now I have to go look at your website!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean

Posted: 2009-11-25 12:49 pm   Permalink

Thanks, all!

Also having a grand time digging up projects I started 10 years ago...just before digital cameras! haha
Old and new, traditional and experimental, deep or wide- the core purpose of my art business is to Have Fun.

After reading the thread on the Tiki Merit Badge, I couldn't help but notice that I know very little about real tiki culture. But I finally have some time to explore and learn, and I'm thrilled to find such a focused community of incredibly talented people who are excited about sharing.

This piece has a 2-way spring mounted figure, so there's a bit of physical action in the mix:
(I took hula classes years ago, and I'd say this dance is Tahitian Ori based on the wiggle speed and the grassy skirt)
The total height is about 9 3/4".

For the cardboard edges, I use some combination of Dap vinyl spackle applied with a square-tipped exacto blade, or some thick acrylic sculpting gel that combines well with acrylic paint...sometimes I just jam some paint in there, or fill with hot glue (using hot glue for basic construction in this scale- if larger, I'd use wood glue). Cardboard paper cuts are the worst! Also- fingertips can get VERY dried out after much shaping and handling- much manicuring has been accompanying this project.

I want to finish the back-lit pieces before I photograph them, so will be posting shots over the next week. The show hangs next Thursday, and there's an opening party on Dec 11, if you are in the CA 94501 area- come on by! (afterparty at Forbidden Island yeah!)

http://www.rhythmix.org/content/09gallery/091211.html

beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-25 3:36 pm   Permalink

I've worked with paper before and I know how badly THAT sucks the moisture out of your fingers - ouch! I have a similar problem right now with embroidery - I have to wash my hands all the time and the fabric drys out the fingers too. Call me Bandaid Girl! LOL Great work - keep it up!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean

Posted: 2009-11-25 5:40 pm   Permalink

It's like a Modern Gal's "dishpan hands"

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation