FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Cardboard tikis!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Cardboard tikis!
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-25 5:47 pm   Permalink

Right On!
There's some really fun and clever stuff on here!
the Mystery one was based on the miehana mug,no?
Wow...and all made of cardboard..
Folk Art with a Polynesian twist!
Keep em comin!
and thanks for thinking of and posting those pre-digital camera pieces!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-11-25 6:33 pm   Permalink

First of all, YES! the Meihana...Anaheim turned around (I saw that in the Tiki Mugs book)
Do you have one? Sadly, it's retired and sold out.

And these pix are all recent shots from my phone cam...I have yet to dig up the old
photos- but I will soon, I promise!

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean

Posted: 2009-11-26 01:39 am   Permalink

Folk Art (served) with a twist

Cardboard workbench converted to electronics zone:

Back of cardboard tiki mask showing battery case (wrapped in paper), Arduino board, wires and LED.
My husband wrote a simple program to make the light glow in a randomly fading pattern so it looks like
a flickering flame is behind the mask.

Prototype hanging out- we'll see how long the 4 AA batteries will last...!

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean

Posted: 2009-12-02 11:29 pm   Permalink

I just posted the show opening info over on CA Events...

Here's a preview of some finished pieces. Positioning the LEDs was tricky!
Most of them flicker like a flame, though some have a weird and random flash or glow of color.

[ This Message was edited by: amybean 2009-12-03 15:49 ]

beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-03 12:15 am   Permalink

WOW! I really like those mask lamps! Nice and lightweight too I bet. I think it would be great to hardwire a couple of those into my stair wall! My poor hubby has changed that thing out a couple of times now - from a hardwire, to a light socket, back to hardwire!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean

Posted: 2010-02-16 1:11 pm   Permalink

Well, whaddya know. I sold 10 pieces from the show in Dec, and was asked to do 3 more commissions. Suddenly, I realized I didn't know that much about specific tiki styles or how to communicate what all the variations could be to the clients.

I went back into the awesome Tiki Mugs book and made some sketches and flash cards to determine the style they had asked me for, (and organize my thoughts). Sure enough- they fall squarely into the category of Hawaiian Gods. I tossed an Easter Island dude into the mix for good measure.

Learned a lot building the first batch- next group needs on/off switches added so the batteries last longer, and probably some motion detectors as well. People seemed to really appreciate my take on made up gods and goddesses, as well as an alternative material for construction.

I think copying designs to get my hands working and familiar is an ok place to be for now. Reading up on Hawaiian Mythology as well as
absorbing the visual feasts of Tiki Modern and The Book of Tiki. Drinking more rum.

The final ones will be original designs. Thanks fer lookin'!

leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-16 1:17 pm   Permalink

Please take part in the art swap coming up....I would love to get one of your pieces!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-16 1:58 pm   Permalink

Nice works. The lit up piece looks REALLY cool.

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-17 08:54 am   Permalink

Amy, good to see you're getting out of the kitchen and back into the studio I had just reviewed this thread last week to see what kind of art you had been up to and I like it!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-17 6:00 pm   Permalink

Hi Amy, sorry I have not checked your stuff out before now, looks great! really like the Moai to.
I am thinking Art/Cooking/craftsmanship? a correlation there?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean

Posted: 2010-06-02 6:59 pm   Permalink

Thanks, ya'll! For whatever dum reason, I never got your messages til now. That shrunken head swap was a blast!

Working on a website these days, so my handwork (besides cookin'!) has been slow... in the meantime, I've been offered a
gallery-like, no-strings situation: to cover the walls of my dentists' office with as much tiki art as I want. They have a house in Hawaii, and I'm (as I posted earlier) working on some pieces for them. They thought their patients might like some too. The only existing decorations in the office are a VERY tall and beautiful rubber plant, and 2 salt water tanks with gorgeous fish. Psyched!

Meheadhunter

Posted: 2010-06-03 5:25 pm   Permalink

Very cool stuff....so different!!

View Profile of Meheadhunter Send a personal message to Meheadhunter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-03 6:49 pm   Permalink

Wow...Amy those look great posted on that wall. What a fun craft...NICE JOB!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean

Posted: 2010-06-04 01:04 am   Permalink

Thanks thanks! I'm working on some plush things, too. Pix soon.

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-04 01:23 am   Permalink

Does that make you a plushie or is it Plushophile

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation