FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Marketplace » » Stockton Islander BambooTreasure, Trade, Swap or Free
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Stockton Islander BambooTreasure, Trade, Swap or Free
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-23 5:14 pm   Permalink

The Stockton Islander Bamboo Treasure

Note: If you’re not already familiar with the background story of this Treasure you can find it in “The Lost Chapter: Hop Louie and the Stockton Islander” thread.

I recently acquired a 125 piece treasure of genuine vintage Stockton Islander bamboo that had been kept in a warehouse by Neil Pollard since he had it stripped from the Islanders interior over 23 years ago. Most pieces are 8 to 12 ft in length and from 1 inch to 6 inches wide. All but two are split in half as they were used in the interior trim.

Hear are some sample photos

What to do with it all…

Between the expeditions and all the research I’ve become somewhat attached to the old place. Id like to spread this treasure out far and wide if possible so here is my plan.

1, (Swap or Trade)
Since I spent a good portion of my Tiki mug acquisition fund on this bamboo I am offering to swap a piece or several, for whatever Tiki mug, swizzle stick or Tiki item a TC’er wishes to offer. You can come by my house and pick out your piece or if you live far away and wish to pay the postage on it then that’s fine to. Send me an E-Mail and we can arrange it.

2, (Free Bamboo)
I would be happy to give any TC’er a free piece or two, up to 12ft long if they want to come pick it up in Lodi or pay for the postage.

3, (Free Bamboo on the Go)
When ever I travel to a Tiki restaurant/bar or event I will bring some with me. I’ll send out a message on this thread announcing when and where. If you’re in the area just meet me there and it’s yours.

4, (Free Bamboo for Tiki Businesses)
If any owner, manager or employee at a Tiki Bar/Restaurant or other Tiki business should want some to display in there establishment just send me an E-Mail and we’ll work out the details.

5, (Other ?)
If anyone has any other ideas just send me a PM.

There are only 125 pieces and I will be keeping 25 of those pieces for my own collection. Each piece will be cleaned with soap and water unless it has been requested to leave it the way I found it. Each piece will have an identifying inscription on the back with a serial number between 001 and 125. If a long piece is cut into 1 to 2 ft sections it will carry the piece number and the section number on it.

I will try to fill the requests in the order I receive them. If you get a piece and want to take a picture of it in your home Tikibar or collection and post it on this tread that would be great. I really don’t know what the demand will be or how this will all turn out but I hope it will be fun and beneficial for the TC ohana and somehow the Mythical Stockton Islander.

Happy Hunting!
Abstractiki

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-24 5:46 pm   Permalink

Abstract,

What a great gesture, thanks for sharing this cool find with the folks here on TC.

Here is the link to the main Islander post for more info.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=15550&forum=1&start=135&139

Look forward to trading for a nice little piece of Islander history - sent you a PM

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-25 5:46 pm   Permalink

Thanks dusty!

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-25 5:52 pm   Permalink

Here is a tag I made, I'll send one of these with some string out with every piece or section of bamboo.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-25 6:29 pm   Permalink

Nice! Appropriate artifact tagging, I say.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-25 7:44 pm   Permalink

Excellent! I like the incorporation of the blueprints and sign.

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 6:12 pm   Permalink

I picked up my Islander bamboo today - thanks Abstractiki! Tomorrow I'll clean it up and post pictures.

I may make a tapa lamp and use the bamboo as an accent, or maybe a picture frame for an Islander tribute collage, or new trim for my bar...

Abstract is not only a super-star urban archeologist, but an amazing watercolor painter, not to mention a helluva nice guy. Thanks again man and I hope to see you again soon! I'll be watching for pics of your Tiki Hut...

Trad'r Bill

-Abstractiki still had some pieces left when I was there, but I bet they go quickly!

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-27 7:14 pm   Permalink

Would love a few long pieces for the bare ceiling in my VampTiki Lounge. I'm sure we will hook up sometime, so hang onto a few and will ply you with some kind of a rum concoction.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LiddleLola
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 08:46 am   Permalink

That is a wonderful gesture.
Count me in for a piece or two. I'm in Elk Grove, just a few minutes up the road.
PM on it's way.

Darilyn

View Profile of LiddleLola Send a personal message to LiddleLola      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 10:48 am   Permalink

Looks like alot of the bamboo is water stained , probably from where it was stored
after tear down-abstract ?

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 7:59 pm   Permalink

Yea, there are a lot of water stains but mostly on the flatter pieces, not sure why those got the brunt of it. Maybe because the water sat on it and didn't run off like on the curved pieces. Allot of the other ones don't have any water stains. Those stained flat pieces are actually my favorite pieces, they look really cool when they are cleaned up.

Yea, the warehouse wasn't a real nice one, its falling apart and has been for a long time I'm sure.

A few pieces have hardly a scratch on them. It all has one or more of the following: cracks, split ends, water stains, dirt, cobwebs, dead spiders, nail holes, pealing varnish, some kind of paint or stain, scratches etc. .

It sounds bad but Its really not that bad, the stuff is really cool when cleaned up a bit.

and i want to say thanks to everyone for all the posted comments and PM. The response has been great. I'm diligently cleaning, cutting, organizing, numbering, mailing and working on the orders

abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-03 9:50 pm   Permalink

Trad'r Bill traded this cool poster for some bamboo recently, Mahalo Bill!

Trader Vic's poster

Tai Won On
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-05 06:15 am   Permalink

You are a great person Abstactiki. Way to spread the Aloha.

View Profile of Tai Won On Send a personal message to Tai Won On  Email Tai Won On     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-07 3:06 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Tai!

abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-07 3:11 pm   Permalink

Closettiki traded this Stockton Islander Mug!!!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation