FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » Official Hukilau 2010 Room Crawl Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Official Hukilau 2010 Room Crawl Thread
JETSETTER
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-14 4:43 pm   Permalink

Now that Hukilau 2010 is behind us I just wanted to take a minute to thank all of the Room Crawl Hosts personally for the part they all played in making this year's event so successful.
All the rooms and served cocktails were simply spectacular, and the highlight of most everyone's weekend!

As a judge, I can say that while I enjoyed all of the rooms, having to make 'winner' decisions was a hard task for us all.

The winning decor went to Planet of Forbidden Tiki, hosted by Robotiki and Trader Rick, while Gaugin's Grotto, hosted by the Diabolical Dr. K, Damon Vegas, Dylan Otto, and Jonathan Lee Blouk, took home the prize for best cocktail for their 'Papeete Paralyzer' (recipe below for you to try at home).

From the neon glow of Tiki Woo's Radiation Spaceport, the wildman antics of Gaugin's Grotto, the tiki robotics of the Planet of Forbidden Tiki, thebeauties in Look At The Bunny, the Mele Kalikimaka holiday spirit of Christmas Island, until the 'endless' fun at the Macadamia Nut Hut, the Room Crawl was a hit from start to finish!

Again, thanks to all for their tremendous creativity, and perhaps most importantly, generous hospitality for making the 2010 Room Crawl the best one ever, as thousands of drinks were passed along to guests!

Hope to do it again with you all in 2011!

Mahalo!

Recipe for the 'Papeete Paralyzer'
1.5oz Benedictine
1.0oz JM Agricole Blanc
.25oz Falenum
Juice of one lime
1 inch fresh banana
Lemon Hart 151 demerara float
Lime zest

The build: In a mixing glass pinch one inch of fresh banana and muddle with the juice of one lime. Add the the rest of the ingredients (save the 151) and shake wellwith ice. Strain into adouble old fashioned packed with crushed ice. Top with 151 and garnish with fresh lime zest.

Created by Damon Bolte (Damon Vegas)
Prime Meats, Brooklyn NY

View Profile of JETSETTER Send a personal message to JETSETTER  Email JETSETTER Goto the website of JETSETTER     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Rick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-14 5:14 pm   Permalink

Well, here's our drink. It didn't win, but a lot of you told me how much you liked it. I only made 20 Xerox copies of it and they were snatched up in the first hour. So for the benefit of those who wanted the recipe, here it is:

1 oz. Seven Tiki Spiced Rum
½ oz. Orange Curacao (Dekuyper)
1 oz. Orange flavored Tang© (mix 2 Tbsp. per 8oz.)
1 oz. Orange Juice (Tropicana© No Pulp Premium)
1 oz. Fresh squeezed lemon juice
¼ oz. simple syrup (Trader Vic’s© Rock Candy Syrup)
¼ oz. Orgeat syrup (Trader Vic’s© Orgeat Syrup)

Fill a Boston Shaker with party ice. Add all the ingredients. Shake for 10 seconds. Pour into a Double Old Fashioned Glass. Add fruit stick (maraschino cherry and pineapple wedge) for garnish. Add a couple of cocktail straws for sipping.

-By “Trader Rick” (Rick Coyle) for the 2010 Hukilau Room crawl.

View Profile of Trader Rick Send a personal message to Trader Rick  Email Trader Rick     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-14 5:46 pm   Permalink

The Room Crawl was great this year, though I only got to visit about half of them. Mahalo to all who took their time to hydrate the Hukilau masses.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JETSETTER
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-14 5:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-14 17:14, Trader Rick wrote:
Well, here's our drink. It didn't win, but a lot of you told me how much you liked it.

-By “Trader Rick” (Rick Coyle) for the 2010 Hukilau Room crawl.

I heard much the same, and as I said, the decision making was REALLY tough on the judges. Thanks for posting the recipe to allow those that didn't make it the opportunity to play '2010: A Cocktail Odyssey: Hukilau Room Crawl HOME VERSION'!!!! (Note to Tiki Kiliki: a merchandising opportunity for next year ;)

View Profile of JETSETTER Send a personal message to JETSETTER  Email JETSETTER Goto the website of JETSETTER     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-14 6:42 pm   Permalink

Everybody really went all out whether on the cocktail, decor, or both and the rooms were all awesome. Very very very hard to judge. Fantastic job everybody.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-16 08:49 am   Permalink

Master Mixologist Cocktail Challenge official results

Grand prize winner ...
"Hell in a Handbasket" by Grady Johnson

Runner-up ...
"Lewa Lumi (A Recipe for Disaster)" by Ken Kanaka

Third place (tie) ...
"Aqua Velva" by Al Negas
"Just Drink It" by Samantha Kuras

Fourth place ...
"Atomic Rust" by Ken MacArthur

Check back soon for photos plus the top two drink recipes.

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2010-06-16 08:56 ]

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JETSETTER
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-17 05:03 am   Permalink

I just posted another album to Facebook with 100+ photos from the 2010: A Cocktail Odyssey Room Crawl and Master Mixology Cocktail Challenge. Not the best photos, but taken while judging room decor and cocktails, with a little buzz on (with a new camera that seemed to switch modes on its own).

I'm also about to post another 100+ taken at the Mai Kai Saturday night.

I don't have the patience to upload them to my gallery, so feel free to view them on Facebook. Chances are we're already friends, and if not, let's be. If you're not on Facebook, get with the program. It's the 90's now

zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-17 05:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-17 05:03, JETSETTER wrote:
I just posted another album to Facebook with 100+ photos from the 2010: A Cocktail Odyssey Room Crawl and Master Mixology Cocktail Challenge. Not the best photos, but taken while judging room decor and cocktails, with a little buzz on (with a new camera that seemed to switch modes on its own).

I don't have the patience to upload them to my gallery, so feel free to view them on Facebook. Chances are we're already friends, and if not, let's be. If you're not on Facebook, get with the program. It's the 90's now

Tried to find you on FB and couldn't? Can you post a link? Here's mine:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Zerostreet-Illustration/173648555732?ref=ts

Tiki Tower
The Art of Robert Jimenez
http://www.tikitower.com

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JETSETTER
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-17 05:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-17 05:14, zerostreet wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-06-17 05:03, JETSETTER wrote:

Tried to find you on FB and couldn't? Can you post a link? Here's mine:

Sorry, there might be a few Mike Joneses on there. I'm not the rapper dude BTW.

Here I am facebook.com/imikejones

zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-17 06:10 am   Permalink

Thanks Mike! Just sent a friend request.

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-17 3:17 pm   Permalink

Hey, Room Hosts...... any of you care to guess as to about how many revelers passed through your rooms on Thursday?

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRenee
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-17 3:42 pm   Permalink

Does anyone have the recipe for the Grotto drink from the room crawl?
Thanks

View Profile of TikiRenee Send a personal message to TikiRenee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JETSETTER
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-17 3:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-17 15:42, TikiRenee wrote:
Does anyone have the recipe for the Grotto drink from the room crawl?
Thanks

It's posted above this in the thread along with photos of the winners.

robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-17 4:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-17 15:17, Chip and Andy wrote:
Hey, Room Hosts...... any of you care to guess as to about how many revelers passed through your rooms on Thursday?

Well, we served over 300 drinks. Some folks had seconds but not that many. We were open longer than we were supposed to because the lines were long and we wanted folks to be able to get in and sample our wares. We went through an obscene amount of Seven Tiki rum.

Robotiki
Mira Mar League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

[ This Message was edited by: robotiki 2010-06-18 12:53 ]

View Profile of robotiki Send a personal message to robotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-18 10:03 am   Permalink

Participants: Feel free to post any of the other non-winning recipes. They were all top-notch. And more room crawl or contest photos (or links). It would be nice to keep this thread going.

I'm working on an official press release that I'll be posting along with the official photos when they're available. I'll also be sending it out to cocktail press. Beachbum Berry will be posting a story on his blog as well.

Mahalo!

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation