FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
The Jungle-style Thread - Pop Culture Iconography of the Dark Continent
TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-29 6:35 pm   Permalink

While excavating images in the digital archives, I came across this ad for a place I would have dearly loved to have spent an evening...

The Miami News July 13, 1962

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-29 7:00 pm   Permalink

I'd go!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-29 7:25 pm   Permalink

The return of the "The Jungle-style Thread" !

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-29 7:36 pm   Permalink

How about the African Room in New York? Picked up this oversized matchbook with some nice imagery.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-29 7:47 pm   Permalink

Here's a postcard of the African Room where that matchbook came from. Notice the matching address:

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-29 8:09 pm   Permalink

Love that ceiling! And is that a zebra in the bathroom??

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-29 8:52 pm   Permalink

Anyone have pics of the menus from there?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-29 10:04 pm   Permalink

Cool finds, guys! Amazing matchbook art. Wonder how the place looked with wild African drumming going on on that stage!

Here's one more film poster that fits this thread:

Oh, and I forgot if I posted this German sillyness here before, a mid-century African pop classic!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teLENOaYUpw&feature=related

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-11-29 22:13 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-29 10:11 pm   Permalink

I hope there is no fire ant attacks!

White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2012-11-30 1:25 pm   Permalink

An early chronicler of Dark Continent pulp fiction was Talbot Mundy, best known for "King of the Khyber Rifles," and "OM-the Secret of Ahbor Valley." Though jungle pulp writers were a dime a dozen during the pulp heyday, Mundy's works distinguished themselves with not only an experienced viewpoint (having traveled throughout the world during his younger, rowdier years), but more often than not took an anti-empire stance.

Though published primarily in the pulps during the 1940's, his books are more literary than most others in the genre, and later in his career began to incorporate mystical elements of adventure. His oeuvre laid the groundwork for the "Indiana Jones" franchise.

His stories range from the Himalayas to ancient Egypt and Britain, but his most quintessential adventure tale took place in Africa in "The Ivory Trail."

His books had become relatively hard to find by the 1970's when I began amassing them, but now most are available in reprinted paperbacks and free downloads.

Though I'm sure nothing he ever wrote can stand up to "Pagan Lesbians" for sheer entertainment.

[ This Message was edited by: White Devil 2012-11-30 13:46 ]

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2012-11-30 1:55 pm   Permalink

So is this where our Tanya Roberts "Sheena" pics go, or does she get her own thread?

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-01 12:06 pm   Permalink

For a dose of reality, though this thread is really not about that... If you have an urgent need for a contemporary jungle immersion experience that’s in-country, come to Florida. In the wild, we have non-indigenous native born monkeys, Burmese pythons and monitor lizards... and we are up to our armpits in indigenous alligators along with a smattering of American salt-water crocodiles. For terrain, we have practically impenetrable swamps, dense hammocks (Florida lingo for hummocks) and savannahs.

To really spice things up, our newest addition is the Nile crocodile, a man-eating, freshwater-loving species that makes its American cousin appear to be timid and gentle…
“Never smile at a Nile crocodile...in Florida”

Yes, this photo is gratuitously graphic to underscore the danger. It was not taken in Florida, but rather Taiwan, where an unfortunate veterinarian failed to realize that the tranquilizer dart didn’t take. He had a really bad day at work.

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-05 7:44 pm   Permalink

I can attest to the "up to your armpits in gators" portion. I had the privilege to travel by fan boat around a Florida lake. A very very cool way to travel, however there were gators ALL over the place. I stepped out of our car and there was actually one probably no more than 15 yards from me. Looking back on it now, I honestly wished I hadn't supported the small company I ventured with as they had very exotic animals in very tight quarters on location....and I'd almost go so far as to say that some were illegal! (don't quote me on that, though. I'm not a zoologist) I am glad that I walked away un-eaten by a Florida gator.

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-10 6:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-11 14:27, JOHN-O wrote:

Did anyone here ever visit the Jungleland (1956-1968) in Thousand Oaks ?

I have vague childhood memories of riding on an elephant there.

Facebook is good for true content after all !! (Although I had to wade through hundreds of "cute" cat photos before finding this mid-century jewel ). From a recent Vintage Los Angeles FB post...

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-10 9:01 pm   Permalink

I have a fading memory of a visit to Jungleland & seeing a chimp that was in
one of the Tarzan movies & one of the "Lassies" (more then one dog played Lassie)
Also,I remember the place was on the small side.

Spent alot more time at the "Japanese Dear Park"

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation