FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Extolling the virtues of the basement tiki bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
Extolling the virtues of the basement tiki bar
Ragbag Comics
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-02 2:34 pm   Permalink

Stayin' cool here in Chicago...at least today. Most other days have circled cool straight into COLD this winter.

Alas, the condo association won't let us build a bar in the basement (and... you wouldn't want to even if they'd let you) so we'll have make a couple Suffering Bastards and belly up to the ol' Llama to get through the winter...

--Pete

View Profile of Ragbag Comics Send a personal message to Ragbag Comics  Goto the website of Ragbag Comics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-12 10:37 am   Permalink

It's Saturday and it's cold. I just turned a Christmas gift certificate for the liquor store into a bottle of Appleton Estate Extra and I am good to go. The space heaters are roaring as I write this and I will soon be juicing lemons and limes. I have some guests coming over this evening and the exotica is ready to chase the chill from the air. Nothing will raise your spirits like good company with good cocktails. We may not have palm trees swaying outside here but I couldn't see them from my basement lounge anyway. To all of the other TC members stuck in the snow, this evening I will be raising a Mai Tai to you. Tonight is cocktail night in the exotic underground of Kalamazoo.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-12 1:40 pm   Permalink

Hey, Trav!
I'm holding a car club meeting in my basement lounge this evening. There'll be Exotica, Rum & PuPu. I've got 2 1/2'-3' of snow outside & it's about 27 degrees. We'll be warm & toasty in the Mauna Kai Lounge tonight. I'll post some pics, later. The name of my car club is the Idol Mixtures.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-12 1:55 pm   Permalink

Well That's two of us. Looks like a multi-state event!!!!!

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-12 3:52 pm   Permalink

I say thee nay to snow and cold weather. Especially since I had a pipe burst in the basement and it filled up with a few inches of water forever dashing my hopes of turning it int o a small lounge. Basement tiki love will have to wait a while longer in Lansing.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-12 5:22 pm   Permalink

Having experienced ErkNoLikeFire’s part of Michigan in January about a decade ago, I’d advise that any freezable commodity in that basement bar contain at least 25% ethanol, in case the heat fails. Trav’s choice of Appleton Estate Extra, at 43% ethanol by volume, should be good to pour at temperatures below minus 10 degrees F. Depending on the mixers and the ambient temperature, one might need to float some 151 proof to maintain the resulting cocktail in a liquid state.

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-12 8:29 pm   Permalink

Luckily I have 2 5ths of Lemon Hart 151 to alleviate any frozen drink issues. Unfortunately for some reason that mystifies me, 2 bottles of Orgeat that I haven't a clue how they got down there were frozen solid. I now have two 5ths of syrup cicles.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-13 05:17 am   Permalink

Hang in there Erk. I know all about the water in the basement issue. If it gets deep enough you can have a real dive bar. Tom, I had plenty of antifreeze for the guests last night so no problems with the cold at all just a very pleasant evening.

Haole Jim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-13 08:05 am   Permalink

After last daughter moved out mid '09, her upstairs room became her father's Tiki-theme music room. Couple big windows for light, no basement "vibe" wanted, thank you. "Quest for loght and ventilation"

It's been a delightful daily-use place and sanctuary-micro asylum. No formal bar, plenty of ambiance, tho.

You folks taking advantage of e-piping in some Exotica-Lounge-Surf-Crime Jazz music from Cudra Clover's Exotica Hour podcasts from Maui? Free and excellent!

View Profile of Haole Jim Send a personal message to Haole Jim      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-13 09:33 am   Permalink

Thanks for the music tip, Jim. I'll have to check it out.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thunderlips
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-13 12:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-12 13:40, Big Kahuna wrote:
I'm holding a car club meeting in my basement lounge this evening. There'll be Exotica, Rum & PuPu. I've got 2 1/2'-3' of snow outside & it's about 27 degrees. We'll be warm & toasty in the Mauna Kai Lounge tonight. I'll post some pics, later. The name of my car club is the Idol Mixtures.

Hey Big Kahuna,

I know next to nothin' about cars but I know plenty about booze! Would love to see the Mauna Kai sometime and in return you & yours are invited to Chongo's Lounge in Brimfield (not too far from Grafton).

'Course, my bar's only open in the warmer months on account of no insulation. All I can do is press my nose up against the cold patio doors and dream of Summer...
(Almost defeats the purpose of the damn place!)

View Profile of Thunderlips Send a personal message to Thunderlips  Goto the website of Thunderlips     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-24 06:16 am   Permalink

Time to fire up the space heaters kids. The first snow of the season is falling in my part of Northern Polynesia and it has been waaaaay to long since my last cocktail night in the home lounge. Need a new sound system and have to rearrange the bar a bit to fit in some new items. A perfect time of year for a bit of faux Polynesia to take the chill off.

TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-24 06:29 am   Permalink

Trav, though it's a beautiful sunny morning in Florida, the flames are dancing in the faux fireplace next to the Blowfish Bar, as temperatures are in the bone-chilling 50s.

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation