FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Clifton's Pacific Seas, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
Clifton's Pacific Seas, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-11-01 9:12 pm   Permalink

Open to the Public Nov. 12th is what I heard.

The press keeps throwing out dates.

P.S. And, I'm a "Thatcher" . lol!!!

Bamboo Ben
Tiki Bars I've designed/built. Zombie Village SF, TikiCat, Royal Hawaiian, Kona Club, Frankie's Tiki Room, Pacific Seas, Don the Beachcomber,Forbidden Island, Kon Tiki Tucson, Ti

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-11-02 01:06 am   Permalink

Is that like a "Wanker" or a "Tosser" ?

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-11-02 7:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-11-02 01:06, GROG wrote:
Is that like a "Wanker" or a "Tosser" ?

Margret to you Grog!

Bamboo Ben
Tiki Bars I've designed/built. Zombie Village SF, TikiCat, Royal Hawaiian, Kona Club, Frankie's Tiki Room, Pacific Seas, Don the Beachcomber,Forbidden Island, Kon Tiki Tucson, Ti

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-07 10:45 am   Permalink

KCET article on Clifford Clinton

KCET: Clifford Clinton: The Man and His Cafeteria Shaped Food and Politics in L.A.

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-07 7:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-03-07 10:45, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
KCET article on Clifford Clinton

KCET: Clifford Clinton: The Man and His Cafeteria Shaped Food and Politics in L.A.

Clifford was quite the humanitarian.

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-12 10:37 am   Permalink

T.V. Show Eye on L.A. visits Clifton's to discuss cocktails with cocktail blogger Caroline Pardilla

Eye on L.A.: Caroline Pardilla Picks Pacific Seas at Clifton's

Page also has a visit with Charles Phoenix!

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kevincrossman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 16 days ago; 08:26 am   Permalink

Mrs Mai Tai has wanted to visit The Broad in Downtown LA for some time and I have wanted to visit Clifton’s Pacific Seas for some time so we made a two-fer.

I had heard nightmares of the “particular” procedures to get into Pacific Seas, including the dress code. On this particular Thursday this seemed loosely enforced but we were prepared. We entered at opening and were asked what were we’re interested in and were promptly given explicit instructions to how to get to Pacific Seas. No doubloons. No feeling random walls for speakeasy entrances. Go up, then up again. Then left and left again, press into the mirror (see photo 10 in this set). Then through a maze of rooms not unlike the queue at a Disneyland attraction. Finally the bar!

Pacific Seas is a “order at the bar” bar. We grabbed a menu to review then ordered our first round of a Mai Tai and a Chi-Chi. I also had the Navy Grog. None of my drinks were awesome (the Mai Tai is made only with Appleton Signature rum, not terrible but not very bold either) though Julie thought the Chi-Chi was pretty good. The Navy Grog was boozy for sure, following Don the Beachcomber’s recipe.

Music in the bar was a no-show until about 30 mins after opening. I never appreciated music in a bar until I didn’t have it. Once the music came on it was what I would call modern lounge. Definitely exotic leaning but contemporary music. And it was a couple settings too high on the volume side. At least it wasn’t thumping... Decor here is A-MAZING. Museum quality. Seriously awe-inspiring and immersive. If you haven’t visited it is worth a visit. The downstairs lounge has a forest theme and is also very interesting.

Cliftons is an amazing space but does present some obstacles, some of which we didn’t experience when it was slow on a weeknight. The neighborhood for sure is pretty rough. The temperature inside was quite hot when we visited (kept us from staying longer). Still, worth visiting with the proper mindset.

Photos:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsMxopgAB4R/

Check out my Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/ultimatemaitai/

View Profile of kevincrossman Send a personal message to kevincrossman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 14 days ago; 10:56 am   Permalink

I share(d) a lot of the same sentiments. I have no reason to go through the troubles of Downtown LA to return. I heard the drinks were supposed to have improved with a new guy they brought in, but that's not enough to entice me. It was the first drink I ever had to return as the zombie was overpoweringly anise-flavored. The bartender claimed "i like to go pernod-heavy" and I'm thinking "no, do that for your own drink but follow a damn recipe or tell somebody in advance."

The music was an issue for me as well, as it mixed between club, lounge, and cliche. Blasting the Enchanted Tiki Room theme and Elvis wasn't doing it for me. Funny you didn't get a doubloon (I think I still have mine) but the secret isn't exactly secret anymore either.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kevincrossman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 13 days ago; 10:05 am   Permalink

I forgot to mention. When we were hanging out in front before they opened we looked down in the corner of one of the four glass doors we saw a pile a poo just sitting there.

Lovely...

Check out my Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/ultimatemaitai/

View Profile of kevincrossman Send a personal message to kevincrossman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 12 days ago; 8:28 pm   Permalink

Between the reviews here and a friend of mine who has chosen 1920/30's Los Angeles as his lifestyle who thinks the current owners ruined Clifton's, I feel kinda' bad about still wanting to see the place.

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo

Posted: 11 days ago; 12:12 am   Permalink

I’ll be in LA in April, and I too still want to visit, despite all the lackluster things I’ve heard....

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kevincrossman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 11 days ago; 09:08 am   Permalink

Definitely worth visiting at least once.

kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 11 days ago; 10:19 am   Permalink

Hey, I ordered a breakfast burrito yesterday from a place that I know makes horrible breakfast burritos. Undercooked mush. But, I went back thinking "it probably won't be bad this time." It was horrendous.

Sometimes you just gotta see for yourself and put all the curiosities at rest.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo

Posted: 11 days ago; 7:28 pm   Permalink

Whoops, I think we're talking about the new Pacific Seas in the wrong thread. We should be over here:

Pacific Seas inside Clifton's Brookdale, Los Angeles, CA (bar)
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=51021&forum=2&start=0

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation