FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Irishcarver
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Irishcarver
Irishcarver
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-02 8:17 pm   Permalink

Hey guys. This is my first Tiki that I have made. I used a piece of 1 inch diameter dowel rod. I've pretty much been a bone carver up to now making Hei matau (fish hooks)

He stands about 5 inches tall. I burned the black parts with a small woodburner. I used mostly a dremel for the detail. Its a bit rough around the edges.

I'd like some opinions on it from some of you Tiki masters!!:)

Slainte!

Here is some pictures of my usual stuff.

[ This Message was edited by: Irishcarver 2009-12-11 21:27 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Irishcarver 2010-11-13 21:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Irishcarver 2010-11-26 21:43 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Irishcarver 2011-12-12 19:59 ]

View Profile of Irishcarver Send a personal message to Irishcarver  Email Irishcarver Goto the website of Irishcarver     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-02 10:12 pm   Permalink

You call yourself Irish?!
Hell! He doesn't have a drink in his hand.

Excellent first job.
Welcome aboard IrishCarver

Hey, keep an eye out for us on the Trader Vic's that is opening in Dublin.

A Tiki cheers to ya!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Irishcarver
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-02 11:27 pm   Permalink

Cheers mate. I'll have to do a pint of the Black stuff on the next tiki. I'm living in the states at the moment but next time I'm back home, I'll have a look for ya!

View Profile of Irishcarver Send a personal message to Irishcarver  Email Irishcarver Goto the website of Irishcarver     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-02 11:52 pm   Permalink

good on you mate! i go to my local irish pub and show them my work all the time. luckily, one of the bartenders is also a kiwi. it's amazing the connection in art and symbolism that occurs between celtic and pacific island motifs. great start. get yourself some nice wood and sit and have a go. wait, that didn't sound quite right.

i'd like to learn more about your lashings. i'm trying to master that, too. my bone stuff has been buried in some long forgotten thread.

sla`inte

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AKUAE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-03 09:02 am   Permalink

Hello Irish Carver
great first work - welcome en TC
hope to see some new works soon

oh my goodness it's a Tikicarver ....

bye
AKUAE

View Profile of AKUAE Send a personal message to AKUAE  Goto the website of AKUAE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-03 2:39 pm   Permalink

Good looking tiki. I'd love to see more of your bone work, seems I've been only doing that the past several months.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-03 6:16 pm   Permalink

Nice I.C.!! That tiki looks like a nice bar-tap to me! Great job on the bones too, I'd love to see ya do the lashings too...I've seen diagrams how to do it...but they aint-so-good!
Welcome to TC

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Irishcarver
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-03 8:57 pm   Permalink

Cheers guys. Yeah the lashings took the most time to find info on. I went to the Ho'ike hawaii festival in Orlando and took a workshop with a guy called Uncle Hank Uhumukini. He is one of two master craftsmen left from hawaii. Awesome guy. I did the traditional tying class with him and it was great. I could already do most of the ties but I learned some new techniques which was cool.

I'll put up some more hei matau pics!

laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-03 11:58 pm   Permalink

Oh Ireland, the most beautiful country in the old Europe...
Cool work for your first tiki and perfect art for the Hei Matau! Welcome On TC Irishcarver!

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-04 08:55 am   Permalink

Your first tiki is Excellent for a First. Nice job all around. you will learn how to get the lines cleaner and more crisp as you carve more. A soft wire brush might lighten up the darkede lines and smooth them out a bit.
Your bone carvings are very good too, Nice work all around.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-12-04 09:45 am   Permalink

Now just make him 5 feet tall instead of 5 inches and it'll be awesome.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Irishcarver
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-04 10:36 am   Permalink

Cheers Benzart. Yeah, the lines were cleaner before I used the wood burner. As Itried to get into the tighter spots, it burned the edges and made it look a bit sloppy.

Grog: I really want to do a big one. I saw a load of palm trees that have no tops on them near my place. I may go and cut one down.

Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-04 12:44 pm   Permalink

Looks good for a first tiki. The smaller the tiki the harder it is to carve. Less room for error. Look forward to seeing a larger one.

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kroozzn62
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-05 03:10 am   Permalink

very nice for a first .good proportion too

View Profile of kroozzn62 Send a personal message to kroozzn62      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kroozzn62
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-05 03:21 am   Permalink

very nice for a first .good proportion too

View Profile of kroozzn62 Send a personal message to kroozzn62      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation