FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving How do you design your Tikis?
How do you design your Tikis?
EzTiki

Posted: 2009-12-04 9:08 pm   Permalink

I see so many different styles, I just don't know were to start when trying to design one.
This is probably a hard question to answer, but if you have any tips, please share!

View Profile of EzTiki Send a personal message to EzTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Irishcarver
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-04 10:23 pm   Permalink

I don't like to copy but I certainly get inspiration from all the great pictures of Tikis on here. Its a great resource for us newbie Tikiers

View Profile of Irishcarver Send a personal message to Irishcarver  Email Irishcarver Goto the website of Irishcarver     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2009-12-04 11:20 pm   Permalink

Start here:
http://www.amazon.com/Book-Tiki-Midsize-Sven-Kirsten/dp/382282433X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259997548&sr=8-1

or here:
http://www.amazon.com/Tiki-Modern-Sven-Kirsten/dp/3822847178/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259997548&sr=8-2

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2009-12-04 11:21 pm   Permalink

Or here:
http://www.amazon.com/Oceanic-Art-Anthony-J-Meyer/dp/3895080802/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259997683&sr=1-3

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SDshirtman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-04 11:35 pm   Permalink

I'm no expert as I'm only on my 2nd tiki. My first carve was a culmination of elements I liked form different tiki's I found on the net and on this forum. I took what i liked and what I thought I could pull off. I took a technical approach making rough drawings and making posterboard templates of my design to mirror and trace onto my log for symmetry. The biggest piece of advice I could give is to TAKE YOUR TIME, plan and dont rush. Set your sights high and push beyond what you think you can acomplish. Dont be too afraid of screwing up. Just dig in.

View Profile of SDshirtman Send a personal message to SDshirtman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-05 02:06 am   Permalink

Great advice so far. I took the approach of educating myself on the various traditional styles, because you're tight, there ARE so many differences. Learn what design elements make a tiki a Marquesan, Tahitian, Hawaiian, PNG, etc. Then you can either stay traditional, mash 'em up, or just go your own way to create something new and unique.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiMango 2009-12-05 02:06 ]

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-05 02:59 am   Permalink

Here my approach:
-First documentation to know the styles, the books cited above are very good and most public libraries contain many other things. Obviously this forum is also a great source of inspiration...
-Then drawing drawing drawing ... So you get used to the shape and lines.
-After I started a few copies of historical or more recent work included here and there.
-And now, a year ago I really started, I managed to start drawing and sculpture on a piece of wood with my own almost design. All this was possible thanks to the support and encouragement of all "great" in this forum who are never stingy with advice ...(Thank's Sensei carver!)

Hope this help!

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aweulekuula
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-05 07:30 am   Permalink

I am a bit of a style purist because I just looooooove the feel of the ancient Hawaiian body poses. That being said I have never met a Ki'i, traditional or modern, that I didn't like.

I hardly ever plan what a Ki'i will look like when I start carving these days. I let the wood or stone do the talking.

Aloha!

Marcus

View Profile of Aweulekuula Send a personal message to Aweulekuula      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mijaba
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-08 6:21 pm   Permalink

my way is to map out the circumference of the wood and the height you want the timi to be on a piece of paper (scaled proportionately) and then draw a VERY blocky cartoon- minimalist- with thick outlines. Then I carve the basic rough form with bigger instruments and work my way down to finer ones. Sand, stain, clearcoat, voila!

[ This Message was edited by: mijaba 2009-12-08 18:21 ]

View Profile of mijaba Send a personal message to mijaba  Email mijaba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-08 7:05 pm   Permalink

build up a library of oceanic books. most are a little older, so check ebay and stuff.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-10 7:48 pm   Permalink

I start with the mouth and go from there. I feel that that is where the most expression in my forms originate.

But other than that I'm more inspired by my mug collection and the mid century polynesian-pop aesthetic than traditional styles.
Sacrilege to some, I know, but then again I am an apostate who carves polystyrene rather than wood or stone.

View Profile of kountzyro Send a personal message to kountzyro      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-11 10:59 am   Permalink

My first ones were basically right off the cuff. I would rough sketch my idea on a piece of paper, then just hack away on the log. Then I started to see things in the wood.(maybe too many mai-tai's) So, I would stare at the log and let it tell me what was inside. Now I've become addicted to TC and my planning and prep have taken on a life of their own. And my latest carving is by far one of my best.
This whole process is in constant evolution.

Me thinks , one can plan out and execute sophisticated carves beyond one's own
(imagined) abilities with just simple patience and determination.

Me also thinks, after a long and difficult piece,
a simple and quick Moai feeds my addiction and soothes my impatience.

keep karving !!

View Profile of Kino Send a personal message to Kino      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-11 3:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-11 10:59, Kino wrote:

... feeds my addiction and soothes my impatience.

These are very nice words...

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation