FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving My 2nd carve and a new toy. Updated and finished
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
My 2nd carve and a new toy. Updated and finished
SDshirtman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-05 03:54 am   Permalink

I recently started carving on the 2nd of my three logs I have and am just now getting pictures up.
4wdtiki was right and I think I got spoiled with my first log. This one has been a pain from the get go. I was trying to remove the husk with my electric planer it was clogging and really taking a long time. I needed something different so I started looking for a draw knife on ebay. I found one for $7. It was neglected and rusty when it arrived. I took a file and some elbow grease to it and used the scary sharp method and now it will cut paper. With it I skinned the log in about 25 min. It was like a hot knife through warm butter. Amazing tool.

I'm digging the scary sharp sharpening method, if you cant afford expensive sharpening stones I highly recommend doing some research on the technique. The name is very appropriate. After the final step I was wiping the blade off with a wadded up rag and it cut through several layers of fabric straight into my thumb. It just goes to show you're never too old to relearn lessons in common sense.

I decided to flip this one upside down. I started carving into it and it was super fibrous. Almost falling is some places deep in the log. Especially towards the bottom. Best way I could describe it would be if a mushroom and a broom got together and had a tree. It was cracking badly as it dried out. I thought about abandoning the log and starting another but I decided to simplify my design and trudge on. In the end I cut a bunch of material off the bottom before I got started.

I promised this carving to a good friend after a few bottles of wine.

I had to alter the design a bit due to big chunks getting ripped off do to the texture of the log.

And here is where I'm at as of now. Its pretty rough and its going to be rustic looking when finished. You can see some of the cracking. The one on the bottom lip wasnt there when I roughed it out. Considering how crappy the wood it I'm happy with it.

Thats it for now. I'm going to bed. Thanks for looking.

[ This Message was edited by: SDshirtman 2009-12-11 14:29 ]

View Profile of SDshirtman Send a personal message to SDshirtman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drasticwagon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-05 05:53 am   Permalink

Your threads are great to follow. Nice Job

View Profile of drasticwagon Send a personal message to drasticwagon  Goto the website of drasticwagon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aweulekuula
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-05 07:25 am   Permalink

Man, I love the facial expression on that tiki. It is infectuous with its good humor. I can't wait to see it finished.

Aloha!

Marcus

View Profile of Aweulekuula Send a personal message to Aweulekuula      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-05 09:18 am   Permalink

Bravo! The second does not demerit the first even with such bad cracks... You're on the Way SD! Can't wait to see him finished!
J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mijaba
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-05 10:47 am   Permalink

you have excellent vision, technique and quality. BRAVO! These are way advanced for your time behind the log! And your style is distinct.

View Profile of mijaba Send a personal message to mijaba  Email mijaba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-05 12:55 pm   Permalink

SDShirtman, Gotta watch those sharp surfaces, they sneak up on 'ya. The carving is Exxcellent and every one is getting better and better. Keep up the learning curve, Nice stuff.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-11 10:45 am   Permalink

Nice looking second SD. Is that log wet ? I had the same problemo with a real wet sukka, but my cracks kept contained to add more character to my piece.

I will be getting a draw knife also, but I'm curious to know
what this ' scary sharp method ' is ?

View Profile of Kino Send a personal message to Kino      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SDshirtman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-11 11:32 am   Permalink

Again thanks for all the encouragement from everyone.

Kino- Yes the log was pretty wet. Like a broom crossed with mushroom.

Also - The scary sharp method basically uses sandpaper glued to a large piece of flat plate glass in place of sharpening stones. In conjunction with a cheap clamp on honing guide you start out using course 120 then 220 to shape and flatten Then: 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500 wetsand grits. You can finish with a leather strop. Its a reasonably cheap way to an extremely sharp edge on a cutting tool. If you search around the net there are lots of guides, some longer then others.

Here is a link to one of them that explains it in detail.
http://primeshop.com/access/woodwork/scarysharp/

If you try it post your results.

View Profile of SDshirtman Send a personal message to SDshirtman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SDshirtman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-11 2:43 pm   Permalink

Here is my second tiki finished. This was my first experience burning one and it was pretty fun. I wanted to see how quickly I could do this one and still come up with something cool. I didnt even really sand him that much except for some 80 grit after the burn to highlight him.

After some work with the torch. I almost think I should have left him this way. Maybe on a future carve.
In case anyone is wondering his special purpose was added last minute by request of the future owner.
I sacrificed the end of one of my brooms for it.

His body is a little off center but that was so I could utilize the crack that runs through his chest to my advantage.

I'm going to be pretty tied up for the next month so I dont see another one being started for a while but I have a prime log waiting in the backyard.
This wont be my last.

[ This Message was edited by: SDshirtman 2010-02-25 13:26 ]

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-11 4:29 pm   Permalink

You really turned a crappy log into a great lookin' tiki!
That stain really makes all the difference, is it Golden Oak?
Great Steve Martin reference.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-11 5:10 pm   Permalink

Great way to show a crap log who's boss! I like the cracks, and he turned out great.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-11 5:30 pm   Permalink

shirtman!! luvin this last carve very nice and i love the style!!!! cheerz brah!!

View Profile of BIG tiki scott Send a personal message to BIG tiki scott  Email BIG tiki scott Goto the website of BIG tiki scott     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drasticwagon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-11 5:55 pm   Permalink

Very nice, You are a natural.

View Profile of drasticwagon Send a personal message to drasticwagon  Goto the website of drasticwagon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SDshirtman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-11 7:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-11 16:29, 4WDtiki wrote:
You really turned a crappy log into a great lookin' tiki!
That stain really makes all the difference, is it Golden Oak?
Great Steve Martin reference.

It is indeed!

CapeTiki

Posted: 2009-12-13 08:25 am   Permalink

New Tiki carver here... Suffering from post carving cracking, sealed and unsealed. On one, I cut in a groove at the top and bottom and bound with bailing wire and covered with hemp rope. This seems to have arrested the cracking and it is sitting pretty indoors as a gift to a friend. The cracks, now stopped, create an authentic look.

I was wondering, I have a metal strapping gizmo at work, has anybody tried that? Also, I heard of PEG. Sounds potentially harmful to the environ... is there anything else they can be soaked in? Some type of oil perhaps?

Tiki tanks? Hm... tiki hot tubs...

Aloha

View Profile of CapeTiki Send a personal message to CapeTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation