FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Sea World Fire King....Really?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Sea World Fire King....Really?
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 04:32 am   Permalink

So, whats the deal with this auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300372683669&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I have always thought this to be a really common mug....$80+ really??? If the seller is here on tikicentral....congrats!

View Profile of tikisobayli Send a personal message to tikisobayli  Email tikisobayli Goto the website of tikisobayli     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 05:03 am   Permalink

No surprise at all. This mug falls into the crossover area of collecting. Tiki and Fire King. Fire King in it's own right is highly collectible especially the Jade-ite pieces. A Fire King logo mug is an added bonus to collectors.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 05:24 am   Permalink

Wow - really?? I've seen those at goodwill - I guess I'll have to pick-up the next one!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 05:27 am   Permalink

Whaaa..that cheap-ass thing, 80 bucks!? I am digging mine out and putting it on e-bay when I get back! (..and so will half a dozen of other sellers, bringing the price down to 3.50 again) "Fire King", huh? The stuff people collect...

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-12-09 06:11 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 09:05 am   Permalink

Remember this is true for the Fire King mugs not the standard old ceramic mugs. Look on the bottom to make sure.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 09:54 am   Permalink

I dunno....I have seen so many of these Sea World mugs (all being Fire King) both in person and on ebay and they have all been around .99-5.00 and nothing more. Plus a quick ebay search and you can find tons of Fire King stuff..and yes, some going for higher prices. Whatever...I just thought this was $$$$ for such a common cup.

I guess I should not have said anything...and put the two that I have up on ebay...oh well!

View Profile of tikisobayli Send a personal message to tikisobayli  Email tikisobayli Goto the website of tikisobayli     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 10:15 am   Permalink

Mine has a capital "F" in a sheild.
So the collectable has a rounder/beveled bottom

Compliments of Ooga-Mooga

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 10:26 am   Permalink

This was my very first Tiki mug form Sea World at the Hawaiian Punch village (1967-68 ?). Then they switched to the present one, and I hated it.
The only picture I could find of the original is with the picture of Otto's mug (plural ) .

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-09 12:39 pm   Permalink

Shhhhhh...I collect Jadite Fire-King. Life's a Diner!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 1:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-09 10:26, Unga Bunga wrote:
This was my very first Tiki mug form Sea World at the Hawaiian Punch village (1967-68 ?). Then they switched to the present one, and I hated it.
The only picture I could find of the original is with the picture of Otto's mug (plural ) .

That looks very much like
my first Tiki mug - I got at Marine World Africa USA which at the time was located in Redwood Shores, CA.

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 3:32 pm   Permalink

Once before, about 4 years ago, I saw this very same mug go for something like $50.00 on eBay (and this was shortly after I found one in the wild). I thought that it was rare then, but had since seen it go for a few bucks in auctions. I guess you just gotta get lucky as a seller.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 4:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-09 15:32, Slacks Ferret wrote:
... I guess you just gotta get lucky as a seller.

That's exactly what's happening here. An overly exuberant bidder who doesn't know the value of the item he wants. Either that or someone is purposely messing with this auction, with no intention of paying.

That said, about a year ago I saw an Islander Pineapple mug go for over $100. This past year I've seen Macumba mugs go for over $200 (more than once) and once over $400. And Miehana mugs for $30, $40 and $70 (while still available from TF for $14.95).

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 4:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-09 16:03, LOL Tiki wrote:
....This past year I've seen Macumba mugs go for over $200 (more than once) and once over $400.

Wehellll.. that one is easy to explain: Many collectors did not know about that mug --UNTIL it was published in TIKI MODERN.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 5:45 pm   Permalink

Definately looks like a pissing match auction...The guy with the most testicular fortitude wins the auction!(and loses any and all respect)

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-12-09 6:17 pm   Permalink

Sorry folks,

This is definitely due to the fact that it's a Fire King mug of some rarity and not the Federal Glass version. Fire King collectors are as meticulous and crazy as we Tiki Mug collectors. The jadeite and milk glass coffee mugs are some of the more collectible pieces because a lot of restaurants and other locations got their logos put on these mugs and some of them are really obscure and rare.

As an eBay seller, I've learned to pick up Fire King mugs on sight because they're usually cheap at garage sales and you may find one of the uncommon ones that sells for $100 or more. The collectors know which ones are valuable by the transferware pattern, shape of the handle, the style of Fire King logo, and stock number on the underside.

I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous, so don't quote me, but I've noticed that the "D"-shaped handle seems to make some difference. Note the handle on the mug in question:

As opposed to the square handles on these mugs which were made by Federal Glass:

The Federal Glass ones are the ones I see all the time on eBay and I think they're pretty common. The Fire King one is clearly marked Fire King on the bottom:

It could be that these Fire King mugs are more common than the people think, but aren't hitting the collector's radar because they don't get listed as "Fire King". If that's the case, and you have one of these mugs, by all means list it on eBay and take advantage of this fact. But I have a feeling the Fire King mugs are less common than the Federal Glass ones, and that's what caused the high price.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation