FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Canlis', Honolulu, HI (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Canlis', Honolulu, HI (restaurant)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-11 12:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-11 12:02, Dustycajun wrote:
Here is another postcard with an interior scene.

Aaah, I think I see these chief's bowl sculptures hidden in the plants!

It appears these were not only decorative wall sculptures, but a water feature, with water running down from the bowl along the tile, which caused the wall to become overgrown with plants. Sigh ....time machine, please!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-11 1:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

So Phil, can you confirm that the menu art is not an accurate rendering of the original carving?

yup.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-11 3:27 pm   Permalink

Ho-kehhh...this is gonna be a long interview! Now, do you own that carving?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-11 4:25 pm   Permalink

WOW!! What tiki architecture eye candy!! I would dearly love to see all of the book.

The mosaic behind the bar looks spectacular. I can only imagine what it would look like in color.

This post once again brings home the realization that we now live in such an architectural dark age...

Rob

PS - Thanks for the post, Mike. Enjoyed sitting next to you and chatting at the Bum's seminar at the Mai-Kai last June (was that the best?). Hope to run into you again soon.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-11 4:42 pm   Permalink

I'm gettin' the feeling that it'll be name, rank, and serial number only from Phil from this point on.

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-11 11:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-11 16:42, bigbrotiki wrote:
I'm gettin' the feeling that it'll be name, rank, and serial number only from Phil from this point on.

Well, not really. Sven, I know you have scholarly questions about the item in question.

I do not own it. It took me years to track it down and (a few more months after I did,) to get permission to photograph the Brownlee carving. While I cannot reveal the location or the owners due to their request for privacy, I can tell you that it is safe and being preserved for the future. They do understand the huge importance of the piece, Brownlee's first commission.

I will tell you, to finally touch the master carver's work was a distinct pleasure. It had a certain unexplainable mana that sent shivers up my spine.

There IS much more to this story, but I cannot reveal it now. Please bear with me.

I will tell you I had a very interesting meeting today (2/11/10) and am hot on the trail of another VERYimportant artifact. I hope soon to document it's current state of existance. I'm so very close, I can almost reach out and touch it.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-11 11:45 pm   Permalink

Phillip,

Thanks for the amazing photo and the info on the Canlis Tiki.

Very interested to see your latest research.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-12 12:28 am   Permalink

Very exciting to hear, Phil, it is wonderful to know there are Tiki agents out there who get it, and who do the work of finding the lost artifacts, and of documenting them for future generations (however small future Tiki appreciation generations might be)

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-12 01:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

The mosaic behind the bar looks spectacular. I can only imagine what it would look like in color.

If you look closely in the first postcard that Tikishaker posted, in the bottom right corner, you will see the mosiac in color.

Thanks DC and Sven. Your kind words are much appreciated. Sabu, I dig your Kung-fu.

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-02-12 01:16 ]

WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-13 8:41 pm   Permalink

I've enjoyed the pics offered by others. Thought you might enjoy the whole Canlis article from "Interiors Book of Restaurants."

I really like this book. And now that I've glimpsed part of "1950's Buildings in Waikiki and Honolulu", I have such a hunger to see all of it, too!
~Kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-02-15 1:51 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the photos and the title of that book, Kele. Now I need to find myself a copy.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-20 07:56 am   Permalink

What a great post this turned out to be. Here is another rendering of the Tiki from an ad seen on ebay.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-17 10:39 pm   Permalink

Another pic, this one's from the 80s.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swoopjenkins

Posted: 2010-04-12 2:28 pm   Permalink

Hi All,

My name is Joy from Honolulu, HI and I'm looking for any memorabilia from Canlis Honolulu. My mom used to work there and she always has a twinkle in her eyes when talking about the good ol' days there. She has always spoken so highly of Mr. Canlis and I would love to give her something special for her 60th birthday. She has many great stories and even appeared in a newspaper ad for a gift certificate for Canlis. She also got a small gig on Hawaii Five-O while working at Canlis. Everything about Canlis makes her smile.

Please let me know if you have any information on where I can get anything pertaining to Canlis Honolulu or if you can send me towards the right direction. I greatly appreciate your time.

Thank you,
Joy

View Profile of swoopjenkins Send a personal message to swoopjenkins  Email swoopjenkins     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 5:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-12 14:28, swoopjenkins wrote:
Please let me know if you have any information on where I can get anything pertaining to Canlis Honolulu or if you can send me towards the right direction. I greatly appreciate your time.

Thank you,
Joy

Joy,

Check ebay for some postcards and a nice little fridge magnet with the menu art.

http://desc.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=canlis&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=1&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=canlis&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_rdc=1
DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation