FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Canlis', Honolulu, HI (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Canlis', Honolulu, HI (restaurant)
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-25 7:03 pm   Permalink

I was cleaning out a drawer today and stumbled on this photo I snapped in the mid 90s. The picture isn't the clearest but it looks like the Canlis' tiki lurking behind a tree on Kuhio Ave in Waikiki before it went into exile.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-25 10:12 pm   Permalink

Whoa, that looks kinda mystical, the Tiki seems almost eeeevil....!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-25 10:43 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2010-11-25 19:03, naugatiki wrote:
I was cleaning out a drawer today and stumbled on this photo I snapped in the mid 90s. The picture isn't the clearest but it looks like the Canlis' tiki lurking behind a tree on Kuhio Ave in Waikiki before it went into exile.

Wow, that photo is like holding quicksilver... probably close to 1997ish...

That IS Edward M. Brownlee's creation off of Kuhio Avenue. As "Jay" related to me...

"As the Canlis building was being torn down, I owned an antique shop in the same mall that housed "Hernando's Hideaway," a dive shop, and kiosks on the ground floor. Before Canlis was torn down, I got in there and rescued the 'carving,' carrying it a block and a half to my shop. Not long after I had it, lawyers arrived and demanded it's return to the rightful owners. They have it now."

That conversation led me a valuable clue tracking it down... I have said this before...

It is safe for future generations in a private collection. I am honor bound not to reveal the location or details of it's current location.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-12-25 10:40 pm   Permalink

Merry Christmas, All

The Canlis logo tiki used on the 1961 Christmas Menu of the Naval Air Station, Barber's Point, Oahu.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-28 10:57 pm   Permalink

More good stuff Sabu! I like the colors of the menu. I'd have used it in "Waikiki Tiki" if I'd had it.

Peter Canlis was quite a strong booster for our boys in the military in Hawaii. During the WWII conflict, he ran the lunch counter at the Y.M.C.A. (Now the Hemmiter building and currently the Hawaii Art Museum) perfecting his kiawe wood grilling technique. He got a culinary degree from KCC. I love the story of him coming to the islands pre-war as a shoe salesman and realizing that they were a hard sell here.
more here

Great photo here of Peter, Donn, and others serving up pasta... (It's been posted before but worth being here too.)

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-12-28 22:57 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-08 6:36 pm   Permalink

Here are a couple more interior shots courtesy of Hawaii Five-0, I like the way they framed the scene in the Brownlee tiki and a colorful shot of the mosaic behind the bar.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-10-08 7:52 pm   Permalink

Great stuff Naugatiki!

Looking forward to more of your digital finds!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-09 2:01 pm   Permalink

Fantastic!!!

What a great mural.

aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-10 12:22 am   Permalink

Nice Five-O captures again naugatiki. What episode or season was that from?

The Canlis exterior was also briefly shown in a Five-O episode from 1974 called "One Born Every Minute". But the sign isn't shown, and also once they go to the interior, it's a different place.

Also, while we're at it, a couple more Canlis images...

Not sure when this is, but clearly earlier than the 1974 Five-O capture above (shorter palm trees, nicer cars).

Managers and Japanese waitresses celebrating the 8th anniversary.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-10 02:24 am   Permalink

Wow, what a great shot of the mosaic!

Hey Rory, now THERE'S the appropriate work uniform for ya!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-10 07:19 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2011-10-10 00:22, aquarj wrote:
Nice Five-O captures again naugatiki. What episode or season was that from?

It is from the 3rd season titled The Late John Louisiana and good for fans of The Canilis since it's the villain of the episodes lair and keep going back to it for some beautiful interior shots.

I'm about half way through the season and spotted another tiki at the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor that I didn't know existed and looking forward to other poly pop gems in the background.

howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-10 12:24 pm   Permalink

Ok, is it just me....or is the dude in the white jacket in the waitress and management pic above the same guy in front of the mosaic in the 5-0 episode??? Maybe he made a cameo?? Can we check the credits and see if he's credited and maybe check IMDb to see if he was in something else or if that mentions if he's the manager???

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-10 12:37 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Looks like the same guy. I'll check the microfilm once we get his name.

aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-10 3:13 pm   Permalink

Guy in the white jacket is Dave Hill. The man on the right is Lloyd Samaha. I scanned the photo from Robert Allen's fascinating book, Creating Hawaii Tourism. It's on google books too, so a lot of good stuff is readable online.

Dunno the bartender's name from the episode, but I see a resemblance too. Good catch, seems like a pretty safe bet they're the same guy!

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-11 6:41 pm   Permalink

Some great screen grabs, Hawaii 5-0 is really panning out.

Here are a few photos of the Canlis restaurant from the front street.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation