FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food how do you deal with this disaster??
how do you deal with this disaster??
talo ka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-16 12:56 pm   Permalink

i was opening a new bottle of pyrat XO today and the cork broke off right at the mouth of the bottle. i broke out the corkscrew and removed it. my question is, now that the cork has been penertrated by the corksrew should i use it or put this in a decanter? i am concerend that rum could be affected by not having the good seal. help me save this fine rum.

View Profile of talo ka Send a personal message to talo ka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-12-16 1:03 pm   Permalink

Once upon a time, fruit flies found their way into my (very expensive) bottle of Carpano vermouth ...I would definitely decant, or at least get a fresh cork!

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-16 1:20 pm   Permalink

You should be able to get spare corks at liquor stores, kitchen stores, etc. They're often tapered so that they'll fit several bottle sizes.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-16 1:56 pm   Permalink

You could use the cork from your last bottle of Pyrat as a replacement.....

Or a similar sized cork from some other empty bottle.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
talo ka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-16 2:07 pm   Permalink

all good suggestion. my wife says i should just man up and kill the bottle.

View Profile of talo ka Send a personal message to talo ka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean

Posted: 2009-12-16 3:02 pm   Permalink

Your wife is my kinda gal.

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-18 08:24 am   Permalink

The only issue is the fruit flies. Cover it and it's good. A cork is not required. A pour spout with a sealing flap will do to keep bugs out.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-18 08:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-16 14:07, talo ka wrote:
all good suggestion. my wife says i should just man up and kill the bottle.

Best advice Evah!

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Carmine Verandah

Posted: 2009-12-21 7:16 pm   Permalink

If concern is that the rum will get stale, get one of those wine vacuum-thingies from a good alcohol emporium, pump out the air and stick in one of those stoppers that keep the air out.

View Profile of Carmine Verandah Send a personal message to Carmine Verandah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-21 7:21 pm   Permalink

I remember waaaaayyyyy back in my first rum-drinking days having a bottle of Screech Newfoundland rum that I had lost the cap for.
Being that I have a "eh, whatever..." attitude I just left it open and after a few months I noticed it had accrued a fruit-fly float.
Harking back to my attitude, I merely strained out the flies & surmised that the alcohol content would have long taken care of any germ-issues present upon the bugs' arrival and kept up with the drinks. Not to disparage my Eastern Canuck brothers, but it was Screech, and the fly-infusion didn't seem to make a taste-difference...

Like I said, WAY back.

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Connection
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-01-03 07:30 am   Permalink

I usually keep the corks and toppers from most bottles of spirits I consume. That way, when a cork malfunctions, I've got a nice replacement at the ready.

View Profile of Rum Connection Send a personal message to Rum Connection  Goto the website of Rum Connection     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-10 9:59 pm   Permalink

a liitle over the top, I know....sorry.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-02-16 14:02 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation