FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Tahonga, , Stockholm (bar)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tahonga, , Stockholm (bar)
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-17 2:38 pm   Permalink

Name:Tahonga
Type:bar
Street:
City:
State:
Zip:
Phone:

Description:

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-17 2:41 pm   Permalink

Translation needed

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-23 12:06 am   Permalink

I thought this major archeological discovery was going to make the Euro Tiki community go loco but aparently no one cared or nobody understand the tonge from Sweden. Oh boy... it feels so lonely here sometimes...

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-23 09:11 am   Permalink

Don't fret, Zeta, even on the American continent there's only a small group of people who make an effort to reply, so one cannot expect too much more from Europe, or the even tiny-er Tiki contingent in Scandinavia. We are grateful for the participation we get, (and every now and then there are some outstanding new discoveries!) and steadfastly must carry on our quixotical quest unfettered by the lack of response or acknowledgment.
And you have been doing that very well, sir!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fritiof Andersson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-01-13 2:28 pm   Permalink

OK, hi again. Well I am Swedish and I am amazed!! Some intitial googling reveals this: There were two Tahonga places. One in Stockholm, one in Malmö. They had live piano-music and drinks as main attractions. Ex-cuban, ex-Tropicana band leader and pianist Bebo Valdez who lives in sweden have played at the Stockhom place (that's classy!). The matchbox says: the first and only polynesian bar in Stockholm. It was started by the french owner Charles de Marie who took over the hotel in 1973. Could this be the place? http://www.scandichotels.com/Hotels/Countries/Sweden/Stockholm/Hotels/Scandic-Continental-Stockholm/?hotelpage=facilities&facilityid=3793

I'll be back!

View Profile of Fritiof Andersson Send a personal message to Fritiof Andersson  Goto the website of Fritiof Andersson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-13 2:48 pm   Permalink

Aloha Fritiof Andersson!!! Welcome! Tiki needs you! Gracias for caring! thanks for the info! so cool! Can't wait for more!
Picture from the link you posted above:

We need a picture of it from it's hey day pre T.V. days.
Rasta la vista!

Fritiof Andersson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-01-14 1:30 pm   Permalink

The bar in the picture match the adress. It is very likely the place. The other Tahonga, in Malmö, was open 1980-2005. It was located on the second floor in Scandic Hotel St Jörgen, Stora Nygatan 35 and Södergatan 20 , Malmö. Browsing through various swedish sites the bar is described as excotic, with palm trees, showy bartending, and as a classic end station in Malmö nightlife since it was open to 4 in the morning. Actually I lived in Malmö during some of this time, and I heard some vague talk about a tropical place that I tried to follow up, but never got any clear info... Ironic.

[ This Message was edited by: Fritiof Andersson 2010-01-14 14:19 ]

View Profile of Fritiof Andersson Send a personal message to Fritiof Andersson  Goto the website of Fritiof Andersson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fritiof Andersson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-01-14 1:58 pm   Permalink

I am desperately looking for pictures... but find some other stuff instead in this aticle (in swedish) http://sydsvenskan.se/kultur-och-nojen/dygnetrunt/article99704/Tahonga---The-story.html . The bartender, Donna Jeremias, worked at Tahonga first in Stockholm and then in Malmö, she is described as legendary, and specialized in tropical drinks. Various famous people who was there is mentioned and several songs(!) where the place is mentioned... I can't believe I missed this...

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-14 4:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-14 13:58, Fritiof Andersson wrote:
I am desperately looking for pictures... but find some other stuff instead in this aticle (in swedish) http://sydsvenskan.se/kultur-och-nojen/dygnetrunt/article99704/Tahonga---The-story.html . The bartender, Donna Jeremias, worked at Tahonga first in Stockholm and then in Malmö, she is described as legendary, and specialized in tropical drinks. Various famous people who was there is mentioned and several songs(!) where the place is mentioned... I can't believe I missed this...

JA JA JA "I can't belive I missed this..." I hear you... everyone here has a story like that... *sigh
So far you are doing great with your investigation. It is so weird that I found that matchbook in a flea market in Mexico... Tiki Central is awesome!

I looked for Tahonga on wikipedia and this is what I found:

Kings of Easter Island
Lists of the monarchs of Easter island : 43 Ko Te Kura Tahonga.

So, that Tahonga guy was the # 43 King of Easter Island... And that HAS to be one of the most exotic, misterious and cool names for a Tiki bar.
I wonder what Tahonga means literally...
Anyone speaks Rongorongo around here?

Trader Magnus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-01-19 05:28 am   Permalink

Very cool, didn't know that the current ugly Scandic Hotel used to have a tiki bar. The restaurant Niki - which opened approximately at the same time - is still there...

View Profile of Trader Magnus Send a personal message to Trader Magnus  Goto the website of Trader Magnus ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-19 07:16 am   Permalink

A tahonga is also the name of a Rapa Nui pendant, with 2 heads, worn by chiefs.

Nice find Zeta.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fritiof Andersson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-25 2:04 pm   Permalink

I had a hour+ conversation with Donna J today over the phone. The two Tahongas have been her babies and made up most of her career as a bartender. We talked about drinks, about tikis (they had several supposedly authentic from polynesia), clothes they wore, prominent guests, musicians (Bebo Valdes check), good times, trix of the trade, glasses, travel in the west indies in the 70s, swedish alcohol laws (there were only Bacardi and Negrita on the Swedish alcohol monopoly in the mid 70s). She is a local legend in Malmö and was really friendly and fun to talk to. We also discussed how to get pictures from the 70s and 80s that can give the oh so important substrate for armchair travelling in space and time. I'll come back with much more on this, but now, getting pictures is the main focus! T

Trader Magnus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-25 2:06 pm   Permalink

Wow, cool - great initiative! Looking forward to the photos.

View Profile of Trader Magnus Send a personal message to Trader Magnus  Goto the website of Trader Magnus ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-25 7:32 pm   Permalink

Yes, GROG looking forward to photos, also.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fritiof Andersson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-26 2:34 pm   Permalink

When it comes to Tahonga in Sthlm, I really don't have much leads when it comes to pictures... Newspaper-archives? Postcard-collectors? Books or magazines from the time? Some archive for the hotel Continental? The owner at the time (Charles de Marie)? I'll buy an Appleton VX for one producing the first picture that show the interior of Tahonga in Sthlm! The hunt is on!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation