FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Exotica 2003 in Chicago: Who's coming?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Exotica 2003 in Chicago: Who's coming?
vntgkitten

Posted: 2003-07-22 2:05 pm   Permalink

hey turbogod! I saw your pictures, where did you get those Outre Shag mugs. They are great!

Again, I can't wait to meet all you guys. Will be really nice to meet people with the same interest as me.

View Profile of vntgkitten Send a personal message to vntgkitten  Email vntgkitten     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-07-22 6:07 pm   Permalink

Naomi and I are 2 more SF bay area types planning to attend. We might even come with bells on, depending on the available space in our luggage.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-07-22 6:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-07-22 18:07, aquarj wrote:
Naomi and I are 2 more SF bay area types planning to attend. We might even come with bells on, depending on the available space in our luggage.

-Randy

I'm glad you're going! Ring-a-ding-ding!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 11:06 pm   Permalink

Aloha Everyone,

Me and the my wahine will be there. We got an awesome rate on expedia for booking the flight as well as staying at the Palmer House which is home to Trader Vics. It looks like we should be able to take the "L" to the Kona Kai without any problems. Saturday will be a different story but I am trying to get tickets for Jimmy Buffett on this day as well. He is curreently on his "Tiki Tour" and it happens to coincide with Exotica 2003. Hey Bigbro, it will be nice to see you. Let's talk seriously about the "Big Book of Exotica". See Ya There,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kongtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-23 08:02 am   Permalink

Hey Jeff...two quick notes to further help you chart your course through the dazzling waters of Exotica 2003:

a)The blue line el will drop you off about 2 or 3 blocks from the O'Hare Marriott, but you should be able to see the Marriott from the platform. Keep it in your sights as you walk over there and you should indeed get there with no problem.

b)The Saturday night Buffet show appears sold out, so what better way to spend Saturday than enjoying true polynesian entertainment with the Fires of Polynesia luau?! It appears they added a Buffet show for Thursday night, but it's still waaaaaaaaaay out in the south suburbs of Chicago. If you're at the Palmer House, it's about a 2-hour drive to the concert venue.

View Profile of kongtiki Send a personal message to kongtiki  Goto the website of kongtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-23 9:35 pm   Permalink

WOW! Thanks for the great info kongtiki. I didn't realize that the Buffett show was 2 hours away from the hotel. That would add up to some major bucks via taxi. I can cross that off my list. Looks like the Fire Dance show is in. I will make reservations shortly. The only reason I opted for the Buffett show was to surprise the wife. Oh well, thanks again for all the great tips.

Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Dan

Posted: 2003-07-29 09:38 am   Permalink

hi jeff, id be remiss if i didnt volunteer a reminder that the tiki busses ("kon tiki transports") are a smart (and outta control fun) solution to getting around on friday and saturday nights. the busses tie the events together (+more). heres the direct link to the website: http://ddemichele.home.mindspring.com/Index.htm
hopefully its helpful in planning your journey to chi-town! looking fwd to meeting you all.
-dan

View Profile of Captain Dan Send a personal message to Captain Dan  Email Captain Dan Goto the website of Captain Dan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kongtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-29 6:38 pm   Permalink

Ahoy, Captain Dan! Nicely said. And we look forward to reading of all of the Kon Tiki transPorts journeys across the wide-open waters of Chicago's hiways and side streets.

And while Dan's bus trips are certainly the most fun way to get from event to event and Exotica 2003 recommends you take him up on the offer, there's still a bevy of transportation choices in Chicago. Check out the side bar on
http://www.konakai.com/exotica/explore.html for tips on getting place to place, and discover some of the lesser seen but no less charming tiki spots of Chicago.

View Profile of kongtiki Send a personal message to kongtiki  Goto the website of kongtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-30 9:42 pm   Permalink

Tikivixen and I plan to do some non-tiki sightseeing while we're in Chicago, which will include visits to the Art Institute and the Wright homes in Oak Park. Anyone want to join us?

Also, I sent the payment for my Kona Kai ticket a couple of weeks ago, but my ticket hasn't arrived. Should I panic?

--cindy

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-31 01:42 am   Permalink

Brad T.B., are we gonna do this one, buddy?

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JoeTiki

Posted: 2003-07-31 07:31 am   Permalink

I have plenty of Hawaiian shirts that I need to break in and spill drinks on.....Can't wait.

Gin Martini Please, three olives.

View Profile of JoeTiki Send a personal message to JoeTiki  Email JoeTiki ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-31 09:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-07-30 21:42, cynfulcynner wrote:

I sent the payment for my Kona Kai ticket a couple of weeks ago, but my ticket hasn't arrived. Should I panic?

--cindy

Cindy,
Please do not panic. We have yet to send out the tickets. We have had a very good response and many have requested tickets, however, less than half have paid for theirs.

We will be printing and mailing your ticktets very shortly. We are just trying to not have to go through the whole process several times as the late payments straggle in. We will send out emails when they are sent, so you will know when to expect them. We will get them out in time for you to have them before you hit the road, but if you happen to miss them in the mail, it's not a problem. We will have a master list at the door and those who have paid for their tickets will be able to waltz right in.

We have sent out several reminders, but for those who have yet to request tickets the deadline to request them is August 5 and payment must be received by August 15 at the very latest (we have to give the Marriott/Kona Kai a final count and full payment in advance.) Therefore, tickets will not be availabe at the door.

Thanks for your patience, we are looking forward to a great time at Exotica 2003!

-Duke and Amy

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bree
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-01 11:44 am   Permalink

Tristan and I will be there! $$ sent in today for kona kai....

View Profile of Tiki Bree Send a personal message to Tiki Bree      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bree
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-01 6:09 pm   Permalink

Tristan and I will be staying in the Homewood Suites, 40 East Grand Avenue. Could someone tell us where we are in relation to all the scattered venues.
We will not have a car.
Also, I'd like to pack the appropriate apparel, so what is the temperature during the days and nights (remember that we are Florida babies and are acclimated to intense heat so what might be warm to a Chicago person would be chilly to us...)?

View Profile of Tiki Bree Send a personal message to Tiki Bree      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kongtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-08-03 4:09 pm   Permalink

Ah...you're right in the heart of downtown, about 8 blocks due north of Trader Vic's and access to the BLUE LINE EL, which will take you out to the Kona Kai. You're also about a $10 cab ride away from Delilah's (traffic permitting) to catch the bus Friday night. Another $10 cab should get you easily over to the Rock-a-Tiki. From where you're at, you should also be within walking distance of all of Chicago's major tourist destinations - MCA, Art Institute, Hancock & Sears Towers, blah blah blah.

Weather-wise, I'd guess you could plan on Chicago in August being akin to Florida in April or May -- humid, sunny, temps 70s to 80s unless something all goes to hell and then you can get high 90s and the accompanying elderly die-off...

But have a sweater handy. Nothing worse than one of those weird afternoons where Chicago acts like S.F. and drops temps over the Loop about 30 degrees in about an hour...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation