Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki HELP me tiki-fy my new bicycle
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
HELP me tiki-fy my new bicycle
MoaiMarcus

Posted: 2009-12-22 9:22 pm   Permalink

I need help from my fellow Tiki friends. I purchased a new Electra Townie Bike, but I need to find someone who can do an amazing job adding some tiki themed painted pinstriping to my new ride. I live in Los Angeles.

Thanks,

View Profile of MoaiMarcus Send a personal message to MoaiMarcus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-12-23 05:39 am   Permalink

cycle art in vista....these guys really know how to paint bikes!!!

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-RAY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-23 07:56 am   Permalink

Heres mine I did last year .

Go on ebay and start searching for accessories for the main features for your bike , then start thinking of how you want to paint it . I did all the tapa pinstriping myself . The cool thing about tapa is that it is supposed to be a little imperfect . Have fun on your project , Ray

View Profile of TIKI-RAY Send a personal message to TIKI-RAY  Email TIKI-RAY Goto the website of TIKI-RAY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
talo ka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-23 08:09 am   Permalink

wow...thats nice. good luck on yours now.

View Profile of talo ka Send a personal message to talo ka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-23 09:14 am   Permalink

Dayyyaammm Ray, that's sweet !

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MoaiMarcus

Posted: 2009-12-23 10:20 am   Permalink

That is one AWWWEEESOOOOOOOOOOOME BIKE!!!

View Profile of MoaiMarcus Send a personal message to MoaiMarcus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-23 11:01 am   Permalink

Love that bike Ray!
but when you gonna learn to ride a two wheel?

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-24 4:58 pm   Permalink

WOW!!! Fabulous Ray...everything is just right...great details. You otta start a business.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-06 12:09 pm   Permalink

That is a great job on your trike! I was just about to post some work that I did on my wife's trike under "other crafts", but I feel like maybe it should go here instead. Hopefully other cyclists will post their TikiBikes here, either stock bikes with cool add-ons or totally unique creations.

View Profile of TikiTie Send a personal message to TikiTie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-06 12:35 pm   Permalink

So here is a picture of my wife's current summer cruiser. It is just a Nirve Lahaina with a Nantucket Basket (in the front) and a set of Electra Panniers (in the back). the other goodies are an original brass taxi horn, removable lantern (from the 60s or 70s), and a coconut drink holder. The latter being absolutely critical for the monthly Carbondale Full Moon Cruiser Ride that happens 12 times a year up here in the mountains.

Anyway, for winter riding to work, we bought a beat up tricycle from the senior housing near our home for $100. We tossed out the old (trek) frame, cleaned of the rear conversion kit, and bought a much better looking 1960s Raleigh from our local bike shop (The Gear Exchange in Glenwood Springs). The guys repaired the 7-speed hub, put in new brake lines, shifter lines, and found us a 700x35c front wheel and tire that they just had laying around. The bike worked, but just looked like a bolted together Frankenbike. We gave our friend the rear 2 wheels and new (40 year old) frame to weld together. In doing so, he lengthened the bike by about 18". Also got some custom ironwork on the sides to make it a bit more unique.

Skip to a year later. The bike was cool, but totally un-themed. During one of the rides, we tossed a few tiki torches (haphazardly) on the back...and a theme started to develop.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTie 2012-06-06 12:37 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTie 2012-06-06 12:49 ]

View Profile of TikiTie Send a personal message to TikiTie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-06 1:05 pm   Permalink

So with 3 pieces of bamboo that we bought at Target (we're STILL waiting for Oceanic Arts to open a location up here in the Rockies) I got to work.

I started using a Dremel to split the bamboo. It was only later that I learned that a sturdy knife and mallet works a lot better! The Dremel did come in handy when making the angle cuts, though.

After gluing the pieces together, I made some some brackets with scrap metal.

Split some more bamboo and glued it together around the frame tubes, using bungee cords to apply tension as it dried.

Here is the TikiTrike so far. It has the torches on temporarily for the Full Moon Cruiser Ride.

Definitely a work in progress, but I think it is a nice start. I was going to make a cargo bed out of Bamboo Laminate Flooring, but I like the bamboo slat design that TIKI-RAY has a lot more. If our bike looks half as cool as his when we're all said and done, I'll call it a victory!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTie 2012-06-06 13:09 ]

TikiTie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-07 06:43 am   Permalink

I think that we'll stick with the vintage crankarm/pedal set that we have now. I will probably make (or buy) a set of wood grips.

We will be doing a set of bamboo drag bars on our next project, which is a rusty stock OCC Schwinn Stingray.

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-07 07:40 am   Permalink

These are excellent ideas.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-07 08:32 am   Permalink

Very interesting, those are nice and simple wooden handles. It looks like there is plenty of room for embellishment with tiki/tapa patterns. I'm looking forward to seeing more photos. Wish I had the time (and the space) to do that kind of work. I already have too many hobbies, interests, and commitments - they cut into my drinking time! heh...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-07 1:21 pm   Permalink

That is such a cool bike Ray. Tiki Tony has a cool one too. Dont know if hes done with it yet. But it looks like its going to be pretty rad.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation