FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts How to Cut and install Lauhala Matting?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
How to Cut and install Lauhala Matting?
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-27 7:48 pm   Permalink

I gots me a 50' roll of lauhala and I'm looking to install it soon.

So how does one go about cutting lauhala matting accurately(ish)? Should I be duct-taping it where I'm gonna cut it? And then duct tape it again to keep it from falling apart?

And what should I use to cut it? Box-cutter knife? Utility knife? Electric tin-snips?

Also.. what would you use to put it up on a drywall surface? I'm thinking staples and caulking gun construction glue...but I'm willing to entertain other methods.

Mahalo for any input.

[ This Message was edited by: Slacks Ferret 2009-12-27 19:49 ]

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-27 8:02 pm   Permalink

duct tape will probably leave a residue. masking tape should work fine. a good sharp utility knife and a heavy straight edge. don't use a cheap utility knife with a single blade. you'll hate yourself. get either an olfa with a snap off or another kind that has cartridges so you don't have to replace the blade every few cuts.

good luck!

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-27 9:08 pm   Permalink

Hello there my good Mr. Ferret
What worked for me was to use Gaffer tape where I was planning to make the cuts.(a strong cloth tape used in video/film production that adheres nicely but also tears easily in a straight line -- both horizontally and vertically. It also leaves little or no residue)
Masking tape just didn't seem to want to stick to the matting well enough for me (but it might just have been a cheapo roll).

Anyway, once I glued the matting onto the wall, I tore the width of the tape down to a narrower width where it would not be seen beneath the bamboo ot trim that covered the seams or ends.

Also--I applied the tape to both sides after measuring and marking the cut and it really helped to keep the shape and minimize the shifting of the weave that can occur when you cut a piece down to size.
Hope this helps

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-27 9:58 pm   Permalink

Elmers glue.
Yep thats what I use.
You put the glue where you want to cut.
Put the glue on both sides and over lap your
cut by 1 inch or so. Kinda smash it in real good.
When glue dries you can cut with scissors.
The glue holds all in place.
I now cover all with shellac.
This helps hold all in place even more.
And this will help keep out mold and must smell.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-28 10:42 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: RevBambooBen 2009-12-28 10:49 ]

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-29 07:29 am   Permalink

What he said. I have always just cut with a utility knife over cardboard or something and use some straight edge. Staple it up. You can add adhesive to the back as well, but it has mixed results unless you can get it on thick and keep some pressure on it. As for taping it up, I have not done that at all. It will only be affected at the corners as far as falling apart. A little care. But it also depends on your installation. In most cases, the edge of the matting will get covered and so a clean line is not too important. And a couple of staples in the right place keeps it intact. Ideally you are not cutting anything but length, so you have a lot less to worry about than when you start cutting pieces around door frames, etc. That's where you need a little more care.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-29 2:36 pm   Permalink

Mahalo for the information folks! I've got it up and it's looking great. I use tin snips to cut and construction glue with a whole bunch of staples to put it up. It t'was a whole lot easier than I thought it was gonna be.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-29 5:33 pm   Permalink

Don't forget that you can collect all the bit o' pieces of matting that fell on the floor and place them to hide your staples if needed. Just weave them back into the matting.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-29 6:30 pm   Permalink

pics pics pics!!!! lol!! cheerz!!

View Profile of BIG tiki scott Send a personal message to BIG tiki scott  Email BIG tiki scott Goto the website of BIG tiki scott     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-29 10:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-29 17:33, TikiMango wrote:
Don't forget that you can collect all the bit o' pieces of matting that fell on the floor and place them to hide your staples if needed. Just weave them back into the matting.

A damn fine handy hint! Thanks!

Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-29 10:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-29 17:33, TikiMango wrote:

A damn fine handy hint! Thanks!

Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-30 07:56 am   Permalink

And if any staples are still showing after you weave in the bits.... take a fine point sharpie and color whatever part of the staple still shows.

And...

Pix! Or we ain't believing you finished the project.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-30 11:50 am   Permalink

OK. A few pix:

Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-30 12:38 pm   Permalink

Looks great!

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-02 5:32 pm   Permalink

I have a question along these lines:

When you cut and attach the matting to walls, how do you account for outlets and light switches on the walls?

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation