FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Collecting Tiki ╗ ╗ Mystery Tiki - Answering the questions: "Where is this tiki from? "Who made it?" What is it for?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Mystery Tiki - Answering the questions: "Where is this tiki from? "Who made it?" What is it for?
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 7:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-12 18:21, Zeta wrote:
Anyway, who carved that tiki I posted above?!?! the quality of the carving is too good to be amateur... the signature, the kind of tiki... who ever did this is a professional tiki carver. But who?

A possible answer:

Quote:

On 2010-05-11 17:24, throberts2 wrote:
I am looking for a new fern wood tiki and found this site. I can shed some light on the subject, I bought mine in 1961 for a house in hawaii. I think I ordered it from a prison in Hawaii because I was told it was carved by prisoners. It maybe that I ordered it from the old Bamboo Window. Guess I am not going to get a new one.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-12 9:01 pm   Permalink

I know... Tiki carving in prision make doing time sounds like fun! But I was not talking about the fern tiki, I was talking about this one:
Quote:

On 2010-03-23 07:38, Zeta wrote:
What about this one?

I really like it...

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 9:30 pm   Permalink

Aaaaah, the "ribbed Ren Clark" (my unqualified term) ! A mystery Tiki indeed, and a fine one at that!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-12 9:21 pm   Permalink

Is this even a tiki?

pewter the size of a hand

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-12 9:56 pm   Permalink

What about this one? who did it? Where does it came from?

Vintage for sure

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-20 10:21 pm   Permalink

The carver who did these tikis is a real artist and a pioneer. Amazing skills, originality in the theme... Who is he?

P.S. What's the story with the "pewter tiki" I posted two posts above?

Thanks for participating...

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-20 11:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-20 22:21, Zeta wrote:
The carver who did these tikis is a real artist and a pioneer. Amazing skills, originality in the theme... Who is he?

He's some nameless dude like all the rest of us tiki "artists" who just take inspiration from our predecessors.

the one on the left is a copy of this piece from the Austral Islands:

the one on the right is based on this hawaiian piece:

But it looks like the carver may have referenced something more like this piece for his:

the body on his looks referenced by this actual piece to me

He really didn;t understand the Hawaiian piece's anatomy. He put two eyes on his under where the real eyes are. Kona style carvings are defined by the abstracted eyes and eyelash details, as well as the whole chin, mouth, tongue complex features. He copied the original eyes without knowing what they were, and then thought it needed eyes under his funny double triangle hat. So, he put some people looking eyes under the tikis eyes. That just looks totally wrong to my eyes. Those modern mass producing Asian carvers do that a lot. Or maybe he wanted 4 eyes because he was an artist. Same signature as that Lockness monster piece you posted earlier, I noticed.

That other one up there a post back is a Hawaiian tourist piece based on this piece:

Some roadside/International Market place vendor in Hawaii probably carved that one. There are a lot out there like that. I favor those style ones because they look more authentic than the usual Tongan Hawaiian tiki ones that are so very, very common.

I can't see anything on that pewter piece that would make me think it was tiki. Consider the medium when you are trying to determine if it's tiki. Ask yourself which islands may have had some sort of metal working tradition. The answer to that question pretty much eliminates any of the original Island cultures, as well as their current souviner markets. Just not that much metal work going on in the Pacific. the metal, and no polynesian/pacific motifs pretty much makes it not tiki, at least to my eyes, and in my mind.

Poor pali-ulii, still waiting...
Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-21 12:16 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2010-07-20 23:12, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Quote:

He's some nameless dude like all the rest of us tiki "artists" who just take inspiration from our predecessors.

Yes, I knew that, but have you (or any other carver around) ever copied that austral tiki? I don't think so. That's why this carver is original.

The tiki next to that one is weird, but original and well done still.

The "ribbed tiki" is awesome and original. period.

The pewter tiki could be modern. Not all tikis come from the islands, you know?

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-21 01:33 am   Permalink

I can hear the cuckoo singing
In the cuckoo berry tree
If he says that that's a [tiki]
I suggest that you agree
But he'll find it is not [tiki]
Will not make him bold and brave
Well, at least he'll find it useful
If he ever needs a shave
[Pewter Tiki]
Of Mambrino!

[ This Message was edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2010-07-21 01:37 ]

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-07-21 07:26 am   Permalink

Morning LOLs. Thank you.

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-21 07:45 am   Permalink

Is there any more to the carved "R" on the base, i am sure that has come up on TC before.

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-21 08:18 am   Permalink

Nothing else cheekytiki. I can tell you I found these tikis in a "Nordic cafe" called Konditori (opened in the 50's by a couple from Denmark) in Zona Rosa... Mexico City's tiki powerplace... So maybe the carver is Nordic too.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-21 10:15 am   Permalink

The off-kilter face of the pewter sculpture reminds me of certain Eskimo masks

"This mask shows a distorted human face, with one eye partly closed and wrinkled forehead. Yup'ik Paul John of Nelson Island recalled stories about a strange noise coming from outside the qasgiq (communal men's house). When the people saw the face of the creature that had come to them, it would have a bent face with a sideways mouth."

This unique concept might also have inspired Tiki Carver Mike Gildea in some of his whacky Tikis:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=22886&forum=2&vpost=284481

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-07-21 10:21 am   Permalink

The one on the left is a robot, and the one on the right is a Shogun warrior. But then again, maybe not.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-21 6:16 pm   Permalink

Can't fool me. The one on the left is Kermit The Frog.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation