FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Mystery Tiki - Answering the questions: "Where is this tiki from? "Who made it?" What is it for?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Mystery Tiki - Answering the questions: "Where is this tiki from? "Who made it?" What is it for?
Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-27 4:14 pm   Permalink

Two moai cuddling together?

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-09 10:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-05 22:53, Zeta wrote:

After seeing a post in finds today, I'm going to change my answer for the original source of that tiki to this one:

You still owe me a dollar!
Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-10 12:47 am   Permalink

Very cool. Thank you Buzzy.

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikifan1
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-10-10 5:25 pm   Permalink

Snagged this one at a flea market yesterday for 50cents... not sure what it's used for... it's hollow with a hole in the top of the head. Has some print on the bottom cone part, reads Jamar .. something illegible Studio with a Copyright symbol for 76.
Any insight to this would be appreciated.

If I were to guess what it is.. I'd say maybe a plant waterer.. the top part is glazed but the bottom cone part is not.. kind of porous... just a shot in the dark.

View Profile of Tikifan1 Send a personal message to Tikifan1  Email Tikifan1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-10 11:01 pm   Permalink

Very cool!

I've seen these before, but never as a tiki. I've got them shaped as a bird and a worm. You pour liquid fertilizer or plant food in the top and stick them into the soil around your plants. The fertilizer seeps out of the non-glazed spike at the bottom.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-30 10:41 am   Permalink

What is it? Saw it at the thrift store but didn't buy it.

Copy of weapon? Fishing tool?

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aquatic Safarinaut
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-11-30 1:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-11-30 10:41, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
What is it? Saw it at the thrift store but didn't buy it.

Copy of weapon? Fishing tool?

Fijian cannibal fork...smaller versions are called brain forks...

View Profile of Aquatic Safarinaut Send a personal message to Aquatic Safarinaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aquatic Safarinaut
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-11-30 1:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-27 16:14, Pittsburgh pauly wrote:
Two moai cuddling together?

not sure if these are original to Fiji, but they are very big there...stylized representation of two lovers...

View Profile of Aquatic Safarinaut Send a personal message to Aquatic Safarinaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-01 10:06 am   Permalink

Hey, can one of you with one of them fancy Oceanic Arts books, tell the exact origins of the drum on the Mauna Loa menu please:

I am assuming it is from PNG, but would like to knwo the region and village if possible. I'd like to see if I can get one...

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2011-12-01 10:07 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-01 11:03 am   Permalink

Hey Swanky,

You might also be interested in the mugs Babalu did.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=37568&forum=12&hilite=babalu%20drum

You might want to also ask him about the research he did on the drum.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-01 1:34 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the 411 Aquatic Safarinaut.

Cheers.

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-01 10:52 pm   Permalink

Swanky, the drum design on the Mauna Loa menu look to be from page 10 of Oceanic Art by H. Tischner and F.Hewicker, Pantheon Books 1954.

Text.. "DANCE DRUM Melanesia (Sepik River, New Guinea) Drum in the shape of an hour-glass (a characteristic shape for New Guinea). The tympanum at one end is of skin. The handle is in the form of a human mask surmounted by a hornbill."

I can't scan the picture until this weekend, maybe someone else on TC can put it up sooner.

aloha, tikicoma

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2011-12-01 22:55 ]

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-02 08:58 am   Permalink

I don't see any research by Babalu, but looking around, I see Iatmul as a further specifiying name for the original piece. I'll ask my archeologist when I see him again.

I have a very nice version of the drum, but not this style and probably not from this village/area of PNG.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-02 11:02 am   Permalink

This is a picture from the British Museums site of the drum donated in 1928 by Rev. F.R. Bishop from Sepik River PNG. It's the same drum but a different view from the one in the book I have.

Next is a similar Chambri drum captured by the Iatmul people.

Image from Brooklyn Museum site.

The Chambri are from the Chambri Lakes region of East Sepik. Both drums were collected in the early 20th century. Hope this helps.

aloha tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-02 12:20 pm   Permalink

Nice, thanks. I will see if such a drum is still being made.

You have to look closely to see it, but there is so much detail here. If you look at the pattern on the main drum, you see that it isn't just the sort of "router" depth clean out, but that every one of those cut outs is tapered, not just removed. So much great craftsmanship there. The vintage mugs based on these carvings are great (I own both), but they miss that extra detail.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation