FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Mystery Tiki - Answering the questions: "Where is this tiki from? "Who made it?" What is it for?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
Mystery Tiki - Answering the questions: "Where is this tiki from? "Who made it?" What is it for?
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-02 1:07 pm   Permalink

Hey Swank,

I have more info on this back at the shop...will post more later on

I know that the hornbills are symbolic of head hunting: If I remember correctly...the native peoples in NG believed that humans were begat from trees. When they witnessed the hornbills eating the fruit off of the trees, they assumed....

The mask, or face is symbolic of an actual person. Drums and shields were/are very sacred. The spirit of a deceased loved one possesses the drum or the shield. It is said, that at times, a warrior would lay down his weapons and surrender to his opponent (knowing of the certain death outcome of such an act) just because he felt out numbered, or scared of the spirit that possessed a shield.

The swirl patterns also mean something...I'll have to look at my notes later for that one...the zig-jag patterns mean something too.

The drum skins are usually made from lizard skin. They use human blood mixed with ? (can't remember) as a binder to attach the skin to the wooden drum before binding.

All of this was major candy for me in moving forward to make those drum mugs a while back.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-05 09:08 am   Permalink

My PNG guys says that level of quality does not exist in PNG now, but can have a drum made like that if I want it doen over there.

The possum is also a sacred animal there and I see it in the faces as well.

To be clear, he says they do not believe in any gods that truly interact with us here and now. By their theology, the gods did all the creating a long time ago and left. Hero spirits are the ones interacting these days.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JONPAUL
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-05 1:24 pm   Permalink

The previous discussion is HERE

On a related note, an excellent book on religious art of the Upper Sepik region is Douglas Newton's Crocodile and Cassowary (New York: Museum of Primitive Art, 1971)

FIBERGLASS JUNGLE on Luxuria

View Profile of JONPAUL Send a personal message to JONPAUL  Goto the website of JONPAUL     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-06 12:38 pm   Permalink

Thanks Jonpaul. That thread was nice to look through!

BTW, the drum I have looks more like these pictured.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-31 5:09 pm   Permalink

Is this handleless mug / candle holder from the Mai Kai? It looks like a Harper.

Thanks,
Erik the Red

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2012-04-14 15:47 ]

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-21 1:50 pm   Permalink

I picked up this (probable) PNG mask a few months ago. I have researched online and haven't found much info. The only book on PNG at my library is not very detailed.

I am interested in knowing how to tell a mask made for the tourist trade from a mask made from traditional use. Age seems like it will be hard to tell but any tips on that would be appreciated. The picture isn't super clear on this but the nose protrudes and is fairly realistic - especially when compared to the stylized mouth.

gabbahey

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-22 5:08 pm   Permalink

I am sorry to say, but any PNG art you find out there nowadays is with 99% certainty tourist art - no matter what the sellers tell you. They might believe that it's not, but that's because the person who THEY bought it from told them so, and they wanted to believe it. We all do, but it doesn't change the fact that to unearth ritual use pieces for cheap, you're about 60 years too late. If it means something to you, that is what counts. Here is a handy guide:

http://www.newguineaart.com/png-categories.php

...and some Duk Duk souvenirs for fun:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiWereBunny

Posted: 2012-09-07 4:35 pm   Permalink

ok so i bought these in a thrift shop a while back for 50 cents a piece and they have no markings on the bottom has anybody seen these anywhere(ps the colors a little washed out they are a little bit darker)

View Profile of TikiWereBunny Send a personal message to TikiWereBunny      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2012-09-07 5:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-09-07 16:35, TikiWereBunny wrote:

ok so i bought these in a thrift shop a while back for 50 cents a piece and they have no markings on the bottom has anybody seen these anywhere(ps the colors a little washed out they are a little bit darker)

Quon-Quon Handled Tiki Mug

On Ooga-Mooga:
http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=3697

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
californialife
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-10-20 4:17 pm   Permalink

I have more than a few tikis in my tiki lounge. I know the provenance of most that I care about but I have three significant pieces that I don't know much about, having acquired them by various means. I suspect that all three of these have California origins but cannot say for sure.

The two below appear to me to be from the same carver due to the similarity of the eyes, brows, and foreheads. The toothy one with the split jaw I acquired in an ebay auction and the other was passed down to me a few years later when a friend passed away. I understand that the toothy one hung outside by someone's parents' pool (thus the weathering),which I'm guessing makes it at least 25 years old or more. It is thought to be of redwood.

The third one below was purchased from a Stat's floral shop in Redondo Beach, California, and was fairly newly carved at the time, about 2006 or so.

These are all part of my permanent collection and I truly just want to know more about them if anyone recognizes the styles.As you can see, they are installed in my tiki bar, not just photos in the driveway.

Any help would be most appreciated

View Profile of californialife Send a personal message to californialife  Goto the website of californialife     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-20 10:53 pm   Permalink

Just cheap tourist pieces, but they have meaning for you & that's all that counts.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-22 2:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-31 16:44, pali-uli wrote:
Here are some more mystery tiki items I have in my collection. There is not labeling on them and I am wondering if anyone has anything similar and what the story is behind them.

The first one is a glazed ceramic wall hanging in yellow. It is about a foot tall and 8 inches wide.

Any information is great. Thanks for your help

I think this may be from our own Gene S Morgan!
Gene Gene, the Sculpting Tiki on the iPad Machine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACpNVD5GMUw

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2013-10-22 14:29 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 2:46 pm   Permalink

A "Gong Show" reference! good one Skip!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
californialife
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-10-22 5:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-20 22:53, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Just cheap tourist pieces, but they have meaning for you & that's all that counts.

Thank you, Atomic Tiki Punk! I appreciate the response and I still love them. My dogs have all been mutts, too.
Best regards!

View Profile of californialife Send a personal message to californialife  Goto the website of californialife     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 5:34 pm   Permalink

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation