FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Ren Clark's Polynesian Village, Ft. Worth, TX (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Ren Clark's Polynesian Village, Ft. Worth, TX (restaurant)
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-27 09:22 am   Permalink

Found this here: http://law.onecle.com/texas/alcoholic/32.05.00.html

32.05. LOCKER SYSTEM. The locker system of storage is a
system whereby the club rents a locker to a member in which he may
store alcoholic beverages for consumption by himself and his
guests. All alcoholic beverages stored at a club under the locker
system must be purchased and owned by the member individually.

Acts 1977, 65th Leg., p. 437, ch. 194, 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1977.

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-27 09:42 am   Permalink

Fascinating!

The longer I live in Texas, the odder I learn that it always has been! Especially when it comes to arcane liquor laws!

If you've got a drinking establishment with alcoholic drinks on the menu, wouldn't one think that the place would have/sell liquor on-premise!?! I'm thinking it must have been away to get around laws in the county/state at the time. Basically, "If you want one of our fabulous cocktails, bring along your own booze & we'll whip it up for you."

huh.

Thanks for digging that up!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-28 8:13 pm   Permalink

I talked about this pre-1971 quirk in the Texas liquor laws, in a post about some wording in the Dallas 'Ports O' Call' menu (from the 1960s).

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2012-05-01 09:44 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-03 11:21 am   Permalink

Just a quick update - Kenike and I are still working on our DFW tiki project after a bit of a hiatus, so we hope to be able to give a projected completion date sometime soon. In the meantime, I just thought you might enjoy a quick note about the various comments. That lobby postcard pic is a great one - I agree it's probably 1950s before the PV was built. The Western Hills Hotel was most definitely Western themed, right down to their "Branding Room" restaurant, complete with branding irons to mark your steak ("M" for medium, "MR" for medium rare, you get the picture). Right behind the reception desk area in the picture was the original "Key Club" area and "Ming & Jade Room" an Asian-themed bar (likely a Ren Clark choice, given his own interest in Asian culture) which also operated with liquor lockers for drinks. This tiny room, with its exotic theme, was likely a starting point for Clark's Polynesian Village which would open in 1960. The construction of the PV coincided with an expansion of the original hotel to include a vast new wing of rooms and the entire PV complex. The PV had its own separate entry, adjacent to the pool area, which also got a makeover with thatch-covered umbrellas, new torch lighting, and an A-frame entryway. You can make out some of these details in the advertisement was posted previously.

I revisited the site of the Western Hills Hotel the other year as part of my research. While I didn't expect to find much, the sight was pretty depressing -- a defunct grocery store and rental storage units now occupy the location where the Hotel and PV stood. The picture below marks the exact spot, give or take 50 feet, where the PV once stood. Urk.

GK

Tied by my Mai Tai...

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JONPAUL
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-16 7:21 pm   Permalink

I found one of our menu holy grails very recently. It's even more striking in person! It's also much larger than I previously thought, measuring about 19" tall. Here are some quick snaps:

FIBERGLASS JUNGLE on Luxuria

View Profile of JONPAUL Send a personal message to JONPAUL  Goto the website of JONPAUL     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-18 11:26 am   Permalink

I found this interesting bit of image rip-off:

1967 menu from the Hawaiian Room in the Emerson Hotel.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
odd1s

Posted: 2013-06-22 07:30 am   Permalink

Greetings,

This rare thing of beauty is currently up for sale on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Ren-Clark-Severed-Head-Mug-/321148128530?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac5eb8d12

View Profile of odd1s Send a personal message to odd1s      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-22 12:00 pm   Permalink

It's weird to see so many photos of it right-side-up, err, I mean upside down, I never looked at it that way!

Cool background with the sister, though. That whole Ren Clark story is really one of the main things I would love having a time machine for!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-25 9:10 pm   Permalink

I saw this too on eBay and I could not believe it jumped from 9.99 to $1000 in a matter of hours. I see a over zealous first bidder who entered $1000 bid thinking no one will ever go that high. Probably shit his or her pants when it was outbid. WOW!!!!!!!

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-03 06:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-25 21:10, forgotten tikiman wrote:
I saw this too on eBay and I could not believe it jumped from 9.99 to $1000 in a matter of hours [....] WOW!!!!!!!

... and the winning bid was $1,500. (That did include free shipping, though. If it was me, I'd want it bubble-wrapped and packed in a box, then bubble-wrap the box and put it inside another box,... repeat twice more.)

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2013-07-03 06:43 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-03 1:46 pm   Permalink

Pretty cool to see one of these up at auction again.

His listing was kind of vague--I wonder if it was from his personal collection or he just happened across it.

Either way great sale.

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-13 7:59 pm   Permalink

Hard times call for drastic measures- I'm putting one of my favorite things up for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300948781894

If it doesn't sell, that's ok too. I'm kind of freaked out right now...

[ This Message was edited by: bigbadtikidaddy 2013-08-13 20:39 ]

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-24 6:49 pm   Permalink

I thought I set my autobidder to bid on this single salt/pepper shaker but alas it did not work

This went for $51.00.

I personally have never seen a set of shakers in real life before so I don't know if the paint job was standard or not.

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-25 12:25 am   Permalink

At least a couple of other sets of salt and pepper shakers have popped up in prior years, including these (posted elsewhere on TC and Ooga-Mooga):

The monochrome ones are possibly later, as they have the name of Polynesian Village molded into the bases rather than stamped ion the underside as the others. I'm not sure what markings these two sets carry.

Interesting about Ren Clark's sister being mentioned in conjunction with the head mug. I tracked her down a few years ago and spoke with her about the Polynesian and her brother. A very nice lady.

GK

Tied by my Mai Tai...

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-25 08:04 am   Permalink

Grand Kahu thanks for adding those photos

The first set I had seen but the way they were photographed I thought they were mugs.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation