FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Dragonfruit?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Dragonfruit?
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-02 1:09 pm   Permalink

Anyone have any experience with Dragonfruit (Hylocereus undatus) also known as Pitaya, either growing or eating? A tropical cactus native to Central and South America, now growing in Hawaii, Vietnam and other tropical areas. They had them at my Lowe's so I bought one and planted it in the back yard - we'll see if it tolerates the desert heat.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-02 1:59 pm   Permalink

They make milkshakes out of them here in Little Saigon.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-02 3:52 pm   Permalink

At the mai tai competition this past summer in Hawaii, some of the contestants did some magical things with dragonfruit. Of course these were all hybrid style "mai tais". One of the bartenders hollowed one out and either used it as a lid or a cup? I was sampling a lot so my memory is rum muddled. Either way it was a beautiful presentation.

www.tikikaimuki.com

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-02 6:23 pm   Permalink

If nothing else, they are an absolutely beautiful decoration. They look fabulous cut up and displayed along with other exotic fruits. Glad you started this thread, I would be interested in the culinary options.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-03 08:05 am   Permalink

I imagine they would be really good in a Daquiri (like they sometimes make with cactus fruits)

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-03 12:27 pm   Permalink

Here is a great article on it:
A million farmers come out of poverty

If this part was true, I'm sure we would have heard about it years ago...

Medicinal value:
It is now known that the Red Indians had secretly guarded their knowledge of the medicinal value of the dragon tree. Dr. Thilak Ranasinghe, director of Agriculture for the western province believes claims were made outside Sri Lanka that its pulp is antioxidant, prevents colon cancer and diabetes and even helps produce insulin among such impaired.

Dragon fruit, neutralises toxic substances as heavy metals, reduces colostral and high blood pressure, controls high sugar levels, prevents cancer and bleeding and promotes health. Eaten regularly, it controls Asthma and cough.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-06 4:09 pm   Permalink

The kind I can get here every so often (@7.99 each!) is white dragonfruit like the picture. I would prefer to get red dragonfruit.

In any event, the fruit has suprisingly little flavor for something that you'd expect might blow your socks off without removing your shoes.

It has edible seeds like kiwis, but lots more of them. It spoons up like a papaya or melon. It is kind of strange eating a fruit that has texture like a soft melon, but practically no flavor. I find that you have to combine it with other things for a flavor component. I still like them for all of their medicinal value and they do look fantastic. Just wait until you spoon yourself a mouthful. All texture and no flavor.

[ This Message was edited by: The Gnomon 2010-01-06 20:07 ]

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-06 7:21 pm   Permalink

I've had the white variety. As said, hardly any flavour!
Looks incredible, tastes like stream-water. I've noticed that a lot of wild-looking exotic fruit seems to trade off looks for what's underneath.
Pretty damn superficial, if ya ask me.

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-06 9:11 pm   Permalink

Thank you all for your input Mine is the red variety, even if it has no taste at least it will add color to a tropical fruit salad. I think it will be a while before I have to worry about fruit- it's still pretty small and we'll see if it even survives the 120 degree summer. Here it is tied to a 4 foot, burlap wrapped railroad tie.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-06 10:49 pm   Permalink

Dave's Garden has it listed as hardy in Zones 10a, 10b, & 11: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/161292/ and that they have been successfully grown in regions of Arizona. It's a succulent, so it should do fine in the high temp heat of Summer, especially since you're giving it several months to take root. Good Luck!

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-20 1:30 pm   Permalink

Progress Report - After almost 6 months my Dragonfruit is still alive, I think that's a record!!! It was starting to get a little sunburned (yellow) in the hot desert sun so I gave it an umbrella today. Still no fruit

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-20 6:54 pm   Permalink

At least it's thriving!

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-14 9:43 pm   Permalink

Robert Irving was given Dragonfruit to cook with on tonight's episode of Dinner Impossible. He said "It taste like - nothing!"

The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-16 6:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-14 21:43, MadDogMike wrote:
Robert Irving was given Dragonfruit to cook with on tonight's episode of Dinner Impossible. He said "It taste like - nothing!"

Anyone who has ever had any would not vigorously dispute that it is more flavorful than water or air.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-12 10:55 am   Permalink

Well, after 2 1/2 years my dragonfruit is still growing new branches (or whatever you call those things on a cactus) but still nothing that resembles a flower or bud

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation