FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Dragonfruit?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Dragonfruit?
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-17 09:41 am   Permalink

FLOWER BUD!!!!!!!

It's about 5 inches long. Unfortunately, I'm leaving the country for 2 weeks and won't get to see what develops - if my son doesn't take some pictures I'm gonna KILL HIM!

Dragonfruit have large white flowers that bloom at night - one night only. I'm not sure if mine will ever develop fruit, they are pollinated by moths since the bees work the dayshift. I don't know if we have any of the right moths in our area?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-21 4:00 pm   Permalink

Very cool. I have had Dragonfruit in my garden now for almost 2 years and nothing. It grows well in San Diego and needs stuff to climb on. My friend has grown them for years. He has like 15 plants and he says he gets like 5 fruit a year max. He says to only water them if the soil is completely dry, cause they don't need much water.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-01 9:50 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the info Luna. My son faithfully checked the dragonfruit bud every night and took some pics but never saw it open. Looks like it did bloom (maybe for only a short period) and it now forming a fruit?

I found dragonfruit/pitaya in Cancun and finally got to try it ~ it doesn't have a lot of flavor. It's reminiscent of kiwi with all the seeds, it's more of a visual addition as a garnish. I also found pitaya paletas (Mexican ice cream bars) in the Guadalajara airport but I went for the avocado paleta instead (it wasn't sweetened much, kinda like guacamole on a stick )

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-01 11:11 pm   Permalink

You are a patient gardener Mike...congrats on the one-second bloom and painful wait for the tasteless critter!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-02 06:18 am   Permalink

I hadn't thought about it that way ~ a 3 year wait for a tasteless fruit!

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-04 2:02 pm   Permalink

Well that's the end of the dragonfruit bud, it blew off last night in the high winds. I guess I'll have to wait another 3 years for the next one

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-14 08:59 am   Permalink

Well I don't have to wait 3 years for the next flower bud:

We'll see what this one does

VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-14 09:09 am   Permalink

Riveting....simply riveting. A person could die waiting for action from that plant. But still gotta be one of the best looking fruits on the planet!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-30 6:03 pm   Permalink

Hold that thought Marlene, the latest bud withered up and DIED

A friend accidentally purchased some Pepsi X with Dragonfruit flavor and I tried one. It was NASTY! Didn't taste at all like dragonfruit (which taste like nothing), tasted more like some kind of gawdawful medicine

The Sobe Dragon, on the other hand, is pretty tasty (but doesn't taste like dragonfruit either )

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-04 5:28 pm   Permalink

My dragonfruit plant has suffered from heat and neglect this summer. The cheap umbrella I bought at Harbor Freight broke the first time there was a slight breeze and I never got around to replacing it.

But I did find dragonfruit at my local WalMart today. It's pretty tasteless but adds interesting contrast to a fruit salad

lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-05 1:54 pm   Permalink

Doesn't look too bad Mike. I guess I neglect mine more than you do

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-05 4:47 pm   Permalink

Mike,

I keep meaning to post to this thread but always seem to forget about it, until now.

Some time ago I asked my wife if she was interested in attempting to grow some dragon fruit when I ran across an ad for some plants. She wanted to read up about them before answering, and researched them a bit online. She informed me that if you want fruit you have to have at least 2 plants, one of each color, and they need to cross pollinate to produce fruit. We passed at that time as she felt it was too much bother for an apartment.

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-05 9:22 pm   Permalink

Bear, that info does not surprise me. I was wondering how a single flower would pollinate itself. If that is the case, you would need a whole grove of the things to ensure that you had multiple flowers at the same time and then you have to have the right moths or nectar eating bats to cross pollinate them. Good thing that dragonfruit doesn't taste all that great!

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-07 08:48 am   Permalink

I have an ornamental variety growing quite well in my new "jungle"area. Use to be a great spot for tomatoes. I planted it with my tropicals/subtrops to add visual interest. I'll post a pic soon as I get home.
Nice thread MD. Hope to see you at Oasis.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-08 9:57 pm   Permalink

Here is a pic of my Dragon fruit plant. This variety does not seem to mind the humidity as my "jungle" area gets lots of water.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation