FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki THE 8FT Tiki wishes to introduce you to his older cousin!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
THE 8FT Tiki wishes to introduce you to his older cousin!!!
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-04 9:41 pm   Permalink

Nice score!

When I first saw it, I thought it was based on one of these:

It's not exactly like any of them, but not very different than any of them either.
That other one you got is pretty close to it too. HIP and Polyart had ones close to it too, but their's had teeth. Hard to tell if the changes were made because of the medium or becouse of the original source piece features.

Tough call! My final verdict: I have no idea...

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-05 03:07 am   Permalink

Sven knows lighting!

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-05 10:14 am   Permalink

+ Sven knows TIKI = Sven knows Tiki Lighting

I was just saying that because the gravelly, organic texture and dark color of the Tiki literally seem to suck up light, there is no part that reflects, and so -at least in photographs- he comes across very contour-less. Top light would be best to create that brow shadow that works so well with Moais, but since he is not a Moai, and the the body tapers off away from the center from the bottom towards the tip, a light source at its feet might just do the trick, if rigging a spot on the ceiling is too difficult.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-01-05 10:15 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-05 2:15 pm   Permalink

$51! Good price!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260514079391&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I wonder what it would have gone for if it was local pickup in Los Angeles or the greater SF/Sacto areas?

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-05 6:02 pm   Permalink

Boy-oh-boy, it sure is a buyer's market out there in Tiki land!

I bet the problem with this one was that most Missouri housewives would not have allowed this monster into their home. Lucky are those of us whose wives have been converted!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-05 7:13 pm   Permalink

Good detective work, Buzzy! We were both surprised that it went for so little.

OTOH, BigBro is right; there are less than a handfull of us die-hard tiki fans in this part of the country. This is both a blessing and a curse. Tiki is pretty rare in these parts (the curse) but when it does turn up we can usually get a pretty good deal on it (the blessing)!

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-06 2:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-05 18:02, bigbrotiki wrote:
I bet the problem with this one was that most Missouri housewives would not have allowed this monster into their home. Lucky are those of us whose wives have been converted!

Sven, that's no problem for me. Mrs 8FT sees eye to eye with me on this stuff (which is hard to do because she is much shorter than I am).

I do have an uplight for Boss Moss but I think as you mentioned a light from above shining down would help also. We had talked about it but it would take some rewiring and climbing back up to that rediculously high ceiling again. You're right about the light being sort of sucked up by the material of the tiki. Silverline is going to come back and take a proper photo at a later date. He's a pro you know.
His skill with a lens will show you how really cool it looks up close.

Buzzy old boy, now you know what I got for my Christmas present from the Mrs. I got her another vintage lamp. It's a table lamp that has 2 spun glass or plastic globes and is orange with a wood piece in the center...oh heck I'm doing a bad job describing it. I'll just add a pic later.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-10 2:20 pm   Permalink

Here's the lamp I got the Mrs. Looks like a late 60's early 70's goodie. Not quite as old as her gift for me (BossMoss). But we both prefer the vintage things you just don't find under other people trees on Christmas morning.

Now imagine my surprise when yesterday I look up at the tv just in time to see another tiki appear right in between the 2 big boys:

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-10 2:40 pm   Permalink

That lamp is sweet! The Tiki in the middle is kinda ugly & whoever carved him made his mouth too big!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation