FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events 4 tiki related bands playing this fri. in Mar. Vista So. Cal.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
4 tiki related bands playing this fri. in Mar. Vista So. Cal.
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-08 10:45 am   Permalink

bump for tonight
Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-08 7:10 pm   Permalink

one last bump, 1 hour away.
get yer butts over there and support our tiki bruddahs.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt. R.H. Falernum
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-08 7:35 pm   Permalink

OK, I'm in.

I'll be there as close to start as I can although traffic & cocktails at the Mar Vista Lanes bar might delay me slightly.

View Profile of Capt. R.H. Falernum Send a personal message to Capt. R.H. Falernum      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-09 10:47 am   Permalink

Thanks to all that came out!!! There was a pretty good turn out last night. It was really alot of fun !!! All of the bands were freaking GREAT !!I hope we can all do another show again someday. I really don't advertise "The Hard Riders" shows on here at Tiki Central because we are a Punk band not Tiki !!

So if anybody is interested in the band I am in just visit
www.Thehardriders.com or go to www.myspace.com/thehardriders

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-09 11:17 am   Permalink

RIDE HARD!!

that was a fun show last night.
I think we got about 15 tiki peeps there.
good job thanks everybody.

overall turn out was around 50 or so.

Jeff(btd)

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-09 1:10 pm   Permalink

JOHN-O's Show Review

Started out the evening at Mar Vista Bowl to get fortified. This place is a Tiki destination in itself. Not only does Bigbro document the place in pgs. 114-115 of Tiki Modern but there's an actual vintage Tiki outside. The cocktail lounge there, while not the original Tiki bar of past, is a fine place for cheap drinks amongst an interesting group of regulars. There I had several drinks with Dave and Rebecca of Purple Orchid, Sperm Whale, Crazy Al, and Big Tiki Dude.

From there it was a short walk down to Timewarp. It's a really cool space to see bands perform inside a guitar store. Caught up with RoseRed who made the trek out from the SFV.

The first band up was the Karma Dealers, who played a great set of blues-inspired garage rock. Sorry, I was still buzzed from the Wild Turkeys so I forgot to pull out my camera.

Next up was the Hard Riders featuring TC's Sperm Whale. This was the first great surprise of the evening. I don't know why, but I just assumed they were going to be a surf band. What they were however, was an old-school (2nd generation) punk rock band. Think early 1980's OC/South Bay beach punk. Not super hardcore but I kept thinking of Channel 3 and MDC for some reason. Now I loves my surf instrumentals, but this classic punk rock style is even better !! (Sorry BTD). Sperm Whale, please post your next gig on California Events.

Next up was the Ding Dong Devils. This was the 2nd great surprise of the evening. I was expecting a classic exotica band but these guys have invented their own genre. You might think of them as the Tiki B-52's but I think of them this way: Imagine the Cramps visit the Tiki-Ti and get totally fucked up on Ray's Mistakes. There they hear a Martin Denny tune and then decide to combine psycho-billy with an exotica inspiration. The result to me would be the Ding Dong Devils.

Last but not least were the Insect Surfers. I only have two words here: "Tiger Shark" !!

Plus who's that guy on the far right? I don't remember him from the old line-up. Isn't he a Tikiyaki?

All in all this was one great and eclectic show !!

Next time listen to BTD and GO. You won't regret it.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-09 1:17 pm   Permalink

Cool Daddy O,
er uh John O

Jeff(btd)

The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-09 3:50 pm   Permalink

Thanks John-O for the props and the photos!!! I will keep you in the loop for when we play next!! I will also give you a CD the next time I see you!!

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-09 4:42 pm   Permalink

Nice. I'll probably be at Don's this Mon at around 5:30pm.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-09 7:13 pm   Permalink

Thanks to everyone who came out -- it was a lot of fun, and we in the DDD's had a great time! It's great that all the bands had a "tiki-scene" connection, yet it was a completely eclectic night!

Thanks John-O....great to meet you, and I like your description of the band -- I think it's on target. Timewarp Music is a really cool store -- there were some items on the wall that would have fit Deke Dickerson's Guitar Geek Festival, like the "Rooster Roaster" guitar, and the highlight was the guitar someone made using a Simon game as the body!

I didn't know of the history of the Mar Vista Lanes, and didn't want to drink much before the show -- otherwise I would have joined everyone over there beforehand. I'll have to make a trip there sometime (I always try to support surviving bowling alleys when I can).

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-09 7:18 pm   Permalink

Oops, I went and blew the illusion you crafted for us John-O! I should say the reason I didn't drink at Mar Vista Lanes was because I'd already had so many Ray's Mistakes at Tiki Ti!

Caltiki of the Ding Dong Devils

Quote:

On 2010-01-09 19:13, congawa wrote:
I didn't know of the history of the Mar Vista Lanes, and didn't want to drink much before the show -- otherwise I would have joined everyone over there beforehand. I'll have to make a trip there sometime (I always try to support surviving bowling alleys when I can).

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-10 07:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-09 13:10, JOHN-O wrote:
JOHN-O's Show Review

Sperm Whale, please post your next gig on California Events.

I told him that last time I saw him. Post it in beyond Tiki, but do post it! Spermy is a respected and veteran member of this forum! I definitely want to know when his band is playing!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation