FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Thrifting for Tiki in the urban jungle
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Thrifting for Tiki in the urban jungle
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-10 05:28 am   Permalink

Just a few observations about the thrift store scene in my hometown. Now we all know the economy is bad so I won't turn this into a thread about that. I have been hitting the thrift stores as long as I can remember. Always some good finds to be had in many areas of collecting. At one time the thrift seemed to be the habitat for lost Tiki treasure now it is truly a treasure hunt indeed. Lately the thrift stores in my area are crowded and I mean that sometimes I can't find a parking spot. And the Tiki items have dropped almost off of the radar. Now around here the good finds always come in the spring when the spring cleaning kicks into gear after a long winter. Large donations are made to the thrifts from cleaned out basements, closets and attics. Garage sales also start in the spring as do the antique shows and the local flea market which is now filled with dollar store junk and socks. I hit five or six thrift stores a week and Tiki is harder and harder to find. I think location may be a factor as well. My sister lives in south Florida and can hit about twenty stores a day and find not one Tiki item in months. I told her the lack of Tiki is because folks have off loaded their junk in the north before moving to the sunny south. Is it like this in other areas? Is the supply of vintage Tiki running low in the wild? Still a great hobby when you can find a fine piece of art filled with history in the form of a Tiki mug on a thrift store shelf for a buck. Like I said just some observations. Now I'll stop.........I gotta go to the thrift store because you just never know.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2010-01-10 05:31 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-10 07:46 am   Permalink

the thing about thrift stores is that they are the repositories of all things that did not sell at the local garage sales and estate sales......it's rare these days to find much tiki at thrift shops because alot of ebay sellers have already learned to grab them up at estate sales and garage sales, thus they never make it to the thrift shop anymore....of course, sometimes houses are cleaned out or items donated by folks that never bothered or had time to have a garage sale or estate sale......this would account for the tiki stuff you actually DO find at thrift stores......so it's always hit or miss and worth going to thrift shops.....I happen to find tons of other non tiki vintage stuff at our local shop that i have been able to sell at ridiculous prices through various venues....(i.e. a vintage lava lamp i paid $ 2.99 for and sold on ebay for $169.00 2 months ago)

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-10 08:00 am   Permalink

It's not just an awareness of value or the presence of more shoppers,* vintage Tiki has thinned out because stuff comes to junk shops in waves based on the decades when it was first acquired. The waves are created by people closing up the family homes in order to move somewhere smaller (condo or plot).

Non-Tiki stuffs from the Golden Age of Tiki are just as hard to find in the wild. I haven't come across a piece of Franciscan Ware in a junk shop in years. In general finding any cool bits of pop culture or household items from before 1975 is rare now.

In my area (Seattle) the Conquistador Living Room Conquest arrived on the thrift shop shores right near the end of the Easy Tiki Score era. Back then I came across so much giant rustic wood furniture and huge plaster helmet lamps that I wished I had a house big enough to make a room of it. (With some red and black wall to wall shag and black velvet flocked gold wallpaper, of course.) It's been a couple years now since I've seen a Spanish made chain and wood wall sconce.

Even the Great Owl Migration has thinned out. Where once the shelves groaned with the wise gaze of the owl cookie jar or lamp barely a spoon rest or S&P set can be spotted now.

* The junks shops have been busy lately, but most of those folks are people who are addicted to shopping for shopping's sake. They're usually pawing through the clothes and shoes.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-10 08:10 am   Permalink

Thanks guys. The flock of owls is plentiful here in Michigan but not my thing. Franciscan ware is around in good amounts also. I just picked up a few pieces of starburst not long ago including the sugar and creamer. Not so much Tiki though. I did find a set of the mini mugs yesterday, a rare find lately and a Bertoia child's wire chair in black. So all is not lost.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-10 08:22 am   Permalink

And, as your post just showed, area does have something to do with it...But I'd guess that's not always due to an awareness of an era or certain items but how popular those items were to begin with in their original eras and possibly how long people in one geographic part of the country stay in their homes.

I was visiting Califusa in the 90s at the height of interest in the American Arts and Crafts look. At the Rose Bowl flea market pert near every vendor of general junk had some vintage hammered copper pieces. Back in Seattle the stuff was all over the junk shop shelves and no one was interested in it.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-10 10:05 am   Permalink

I know here in upper northern cal. it can be pretty thin at any of the shops. Here, many of the old shops are tuning into trendy upscale antique shops with more upper end items and pricing. When I tell them what I'm looking for for I get the " why?" look. I do have to figure area in as well. The tiki trend burned out here back in the late 70's or early 80's. witco or O.A. items are like finding the lost ark.

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-10 11:01 am   Permalink

I make extra money from thrifting and have for over a year now.

I hit anywhere between 5-12 thrift stores weekly.

Sometimes I find just 1 thing, other times I find a whole lot of stuff tiki/Hawaii related in addition to all the mid-century/vintage/kitschy items I find.

For Christmas about 90% of my gifts I gave were all thrifted. Brand new items that I paid pennies for that made my holiday shopping cheaper than it has ever been.

I love my thrift stores and seriously it has to do with the area you live in. I couldn't imagine thrifting in San Francisco for example since those stores are so picked over. My thrift stores are awesome.

The only change I have noticed over the past couple of months is that instead of it being beat up cars in the parking lot they are filled with Lexus, Mercedes and Hummers these days.

Thankfully all those people are picking through the clothes while I make a killing on everything else.

This year I plan on being more of a garage saler as well as hitting thrifts.

I can not wait for it to warm up!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-10 12:37 pm   Permalink

Yep, what you find in the thrifts is a direct representation of the taste and style preferences in that part of the country. Here in the middle of the country, middle-of-the-road is the dominant theme. The only saving grace for Kansas City is/was TWA, IMHO. KC had at least three major TWA corporate offices as well as the national overhaul base. And what did all those employees do with their bonuses and vacation time? Why, go to Hawaii of course! And they brought back stuff as well as ideas. I can't imagine the cultural black-hole this town would have been without TWA! Unfortunately, from the recent archeological evidence found at the thrifts, these people have largely moved on and, like other parts of the country, good vintage finds are rare these days.

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hombre
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-01-10 3:32 pm   Permalink

Things are very slow here in Ohio but then again, I think Tiki David gets it all before I can find it. : )

The few things I found this weekend were over near Toledo.

Nothing like a good cigar and strong drink!

View Profile of hombre Send a personal message to hombre  Email hombre Goto the website of hombre     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-10 4:58 pm   Permalink

Owls, owls, owls... Indiana shops are loaded with 60's-70's owls.

Absolutely, the thrift shops are busier over the last years. Like Liz, I see most after the clothing.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-10 5:04 pm   Permalink

..funny... I too have noticed the recent rash of really nice expensive cars in the thift store parking lots too within the past few months....

...and as for thrift content, i agree it's regional.....here in the midwest chicago with o'hare airport nearby, a huge amount of old tiki haunts back in the day, basements which housed home tiki bars back in the day we tend to find more tiki, united airlines stuff an universal statuary products (they were also headquartered here) than in other areas.....alot of manufacturing was done here in the old days..witco had showrooms downtown and johnson products also had a huge warehouse which was the midwest answer to oceanic arts....

..and yes, owls.....they are everywhere.

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2010-01-10 17:05 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sideshow Bob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-01-18 12:46 pm   Permalink

Here in the south, all I see is County boy stuff......
Lots of Squirrels......Glass Squirrels.....
When I see Tiki it's like finding the lost Ark! LOL!

View Profile of Sideshow Bob Send a personal message to Sideshow Bob  Email Sideshow Bob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-18 1:08 pm   Permalink

I know ,I can't find a thing.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Atari
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-18 2:41 pm   Permalink

You said it, Sideshow Bob. They do sell Tiki Farm at Junkman's Daughter though, if you want to "cheat" <grin>. We should wander to Trader Vic's sometime.

View Profile of Tiki-Atari Send a personal message to Tiki-Atari  Goto the website of Tiki-Atari     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-18 3:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-18 14:41, Tiki-Atari wrote:
You said it, Sideshow Bob. They do sell Tiki Farm at Junkman's Daughter though, if you want to "cheat" <grin>. We should wander to Trader Vic's sometime.

God how I love Junkman's Daughter!

And in Athens Junkman's Daughter's Brother.

Please eat at the Vortex for me and have some deep fried veggies. Oh how I miss ATL!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation