FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Collecting Tiki ╗ ╗ Thrifting for Tiki in the urban jungle
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Thrifting for Tiki in the urban jungle
John in Montreal
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-28 7:20 pm   Permalink

RE: Tiki Sun

Hey folks... I believe we did mention the old Tiki Sun PolynÚsien on the south shore of Montreal in one of the first issues of Mai Tai. The place had just closed down and we at the Montreal Tiki Appreciation Society never got to visit it. I did check out the original building and, if I remember correctly, it looked like it might have been a good place. They did reopen sometime later at the strip mall location in Longueuil (with the horrible sign!)... A place I did check out once but have not frequented on repeated occasions. Sounds like its worth another look... Thanks for finding it Carl.

[ This Message was edited by: John in Montreal 2010-03-28 19:24 ]

View Profile of John in Montreal Send a personal message to John in Montreal  Email John in Montreal Goto the website of John in Montreal     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-11 06:39 am   Permalink

A new thrift store is open in Kalamazoo. You will love this.........it's in the former Cheeseburger in Paradise building. The fake water tower is still there and so are the fake palm trees out front. The grand opening featured free food and there were two local radio stations broadcasting from the parking lot. I drove by and it looked like a Beatles reunion was going on so I didn't stop. I did finally stop in and it was still crowded as hell and nothing but clothes. I think I'll check this one off my "maybe I can find a Tiki in there" list.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-07 06:25 am   Permalink

Ah spring. Mud, rain and warm and cold on the same day. I saw my first garage sale sign of the season here in my part of the world yesterday. I smiled and slowly turned to my wife sitting next to me in the car and in a low ominous voice stated "and so it begins". Spring cleaning here brings out the good stuff and soon the thrift stores, garage sales, flea markets and antique stores will have a new crop of trash and treasure to dig through. It has been a long cold winter up here and the big hunt is on again.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-07 06:37 am   Permalink

I hear ya Trav. I have been getting skunked all winter. Well, except for that amazing trip to SoCal. I can't wait to see what treasures are exposed by "The Big Thaw"!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
trutiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-07 07:17 am   Permalink

Hard to find the in-between thrift stores in Miami... most are high end "consign of the times" or dollar-store and other crap outlets. I was told by one owner that he takes all his tiki to a licensed ebay drop-off dealer in Ft. Lauderdale because he can get more money for it from all those tiki crazies out there (re: suckers like me). The charity stores here are very savvy about the collecting trend... mostly about $$ raised for said charity and less about making thrifting fun for the masses. They too run their own ebay business for obvious collectibles.

View Profile of trutiki Send a personal message to trutiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-08 03:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-07 07:17, trutiki wrote:
Hard to find the in-between thrift stores in Miami... most are high end "consign of the times" or dollar-store and other crap outlets. I was told by one owner that he takes all his tiki to a licensed ebay drop-off dealer in Ft. Lauderdale because he can get more money for it from all those tiki crazies out there (re: suckers like me). The charity stores here are very savvy about the collecting trend... mostly about $$ raised for said charity and less about making thrifting fun for the masses. They too run their own ebay business for obvious collectibles.

It does make it rare to find the treasure that slips through their systems, but satisfying too. At the Goodwill stores I never find anything in the "Collectibles Case". And the tiki mugs are almost never with the coffee mugs. I think it was TikiTrav who mentioned that he always gives a thrift store a "final sweep of the shelves" before he exits. That's good advice.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-09 05:45 am   Permalink

The "final sweep" is indeed one of my number one rules for shopping at the thrift store. I almost forgot the rule and nearly missed one of my best thrift finds ever. The good stuff is still out there, just keep looking.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=37725&forum=5

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-31 05:29 am   Permalink

It has been the driest season for hunting vintage Tiki that I have ever had in my corner of the world this year. I have had a few good finds but nothing that was a "WOW" find. I don't want to over analyze it with social and economic trend charts, just say I had some enjoyable drive time and met some nice folks.

Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-31 07:32 am   Permalink

In this corner of the thrifting world at least five Salvation Army thrift stores have closed in the last three years. However, Goodwills have increased by one and a few have remodeled. Several Mom & Pops have closed too.
The stores here have been very dry for a good five years when it comes to tiki. One mug per 20+ visits? I thought the swap-meet would be promising when Buzzy took to the desert but, no.

Erik the Red

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-01 5:06 pm   Permalink

Sound like around here in the north state. A coupe of flea market finds back in oct. but other than that not much. Pleanty of the plastic tiki stuff but what we look for.. nada. Kinda depressing.

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-02 05:30 am   Permalink

Here in Kzoo the weather is perfect and the yard and garage sales are in full swing. Lots of spring cleaning means fresh finds. I'm off work at the moment but it is better than being off in the dead of winter. Hell, I even had to mow the lawn for the first time this year. I hope the finds come easy and frequent for all of us this season.

Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-14 08:52 am   Permalink

I go to my 3 local ones twice a day since they restock the shelves 3 times a day, also stores like goodwill will split up collections of ideas, like Ive found 5 size M 1970s Hawaiian shirts in 2 different Goodwills, also the Tiki Hula queens wound up in two stores also, but Im guessing they came from the same donor, id tell people go every day, search hard and dont be upset if you dont stike it rich every time!! sometimes its a dry hole

found this for 3.99 by accident at goodwill, went back and went through the pic frames a second time, always love leaving the price tag on too!! thrift stores Rock

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-20 06:32 am   Permalink

Garage sales seem a long way away here in Mi and the thrift stores are pretty dry. I did score this lone bowl last week though. Sitting all by it's self with no other Tikis in sight. $3.99

SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-20 07:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-20 06:32, uncle trav wrote:
I did score this lone bowl last week though. Sitting all by it's self with no other Tikis in sight. $3.99

1 bowl is better than no bowls

Uncle Trav I am going to offer something to you that many have asked for but I won't ever do...if you find yourself in NorCal you let me know and I will take you to my hunting grounds.

Bring a BIG carry on for the trip back home my friend...you need to get out of the frozen tundra!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-20 10:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-20 07:15, SandraDee wrote:
1 bowl is better than no bowls

Uncle Trav I am going to offer something to you that many have asked for but I won't ever do...if you find yourself in NorCal you let me know and I will take you to my hunting grounds.

Bring a BIG carry on for the trip back home my friend...you need to get out of the frozen tundra!

WOW !!! I would be honored to have a guided thrift tour. Sounds awesome! Now if I can get all the stars to align it's a date. Right now I think the damn things are all frozen in place up here Thanks SD your the best.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation