FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Thrifting for Tiki in the urban jungle
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
Thrifting for Tiki in the urban jungle
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-20 4:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-20 14:00, SandraDee wrote:
Why don't you read the title of this thread "Thrifting for Tiki in the Urban Jungle" and then get a clue.

Maybe the reason you start so many new threads is because you DON'T read or follow basic posting guidelines. Even unspoken/unwritten it seems EVERY other member but you can figure them out.

Your menu ain't no big score. If I wanted to I could have bought it off Etsy just like you did days before you did but I already have 2 of those menu in MUCH better condition so why would I? I didn't start a brand new thread on my menus when I found them because I care very little about paper finds. I just give them away or resell them. I am more into mugs.

You wonder why people don't contribute to your threads/get back to you about your collecting book..well hate to tell you but you come off like a dick and people who have been around on these boards for awhile--or heck even those considered "newbies" don't want to deal with more dickish behavior.

Uncle Trav and I have been forum friends for let's see 7 years just about (holy crap Trav!) and its people like him (not you) that make posting on the Collecting Tiki section fun....because they share stuff without rubbing anyone the wrong way.

Find stuff..post stuff..add your 2cents to threads that you can but READ and post in the correct places that things go..ain't that hard.

This isn't your personal blog..its a forum.

I really could care less but if you feel so inclined go ahead back to that "throwing tantrum" portion of your posting if you like. I am guessing you are a middle aged man stuck in a land locked state whose only tiki connection is Ebay and Etsy. Being "stuck" here in California within driving distance of 10+ tiki bars thriting at stores with shelves full of tiki swag I sympathize with your situation.

But hey thanks for tainting this fun thread here with more of your dickish behavior.

*Cyber high five* to you there guy!

Way out of line, Liz.

You see to have a particular problem with "middle aged men".....seeing how you called me "old man" in a PM not too long ago.
I find it ironic that you send your hate filled posts to people like me, ATP and now Tiki Tacky, calling some of us "sociopaths" here and in harassing posts on facebook....yet you fail to recognize your own part in things.

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-20 5:12 pm   Permalink

**YAWN**

Same old Lucas posting the same old shit.

Go troll someone else.

Actually let's go back to the Bahooka thread and talk about animals.

It's better that way.

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-21 5:05 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I do. The thrifts just seems to be my wasteland. I have great luck at antique malls & flea markets.
Quote:

On 2014-02-20 15:07, SandraDee wrote:
Quote:

On 2014-02-20 14:30, Big Kahuna wrote:
Jeepers, Trav! All I've ever found in the thrifts, around here, was a rocks glass from the Hukelau in Chicopee.

BK you do quite well with your finds. Sure you have your slim months but looking back on 2013 you found tons of great stuff!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-22 04:52 am   Permalink

I may have mentioned this before. I go to many large antique malls in my area. I rotate which ones I hit during my rounds. Antique mall booth stock rotates much slower than thrift store stock so I give the malls some time to restock before I visit again. Spring in my area means that the dealers are out and fresh swag shows up in the mall booths. When you go to cash out at the mall ask the cashier if the dealer offers any discounts. Many many times the dealer has left a note offering ten to sometime twenty percent off. It never hurts to ask. Don't forget to ask the folks at the mall if any tiki items have come in lately. These folks know the dealers and the stock. Just thought I'd throw that out there based on my experience. It's the thrill of the hunt. Have fun!

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-22 08:25 am   Permalink

I've got 4 "routes" I take when I go hunting. It really helps to get to know the dealers. My favorite multi-dealer shop has a spot reserved for my Tiki stuff. When I walk in, the first thing I do is check my spot. No Tiki stuff hits the floor without me seeing it first. Not only that, but 5 of the dealers pick with me in mind & know what to buy & what I'll pay for it. This is a huge benefit & they've found me some amazing stuff. I've also taken some stuff I wouldn't have, but we keep the lines of communication open & they rarely pick stuff I don't want.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation