FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Tiki Central Ohana Ľ Ľ Rest In Peace,Tiki-Kate
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
Rest In Peace,Tiki-Kate
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-18 7:54 pm   Permalink

Happy Birthday Tiki-Kate!

You're missed around here very much.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-19 1:01 pm   Permalink

Indeed! Kate was a full-blooded Tikiphile in knowledge and action.

I would like to inquire about if anything has been happening with the multiple mini containers with Kate's ashes that were passed out to a couple of her friends?

As we all know, per Kate's request Squid made a beautiful urn for her remains:

Kate had always had her own way of doing things, and a great sense of humor.
She must have loved seeing her pagan urn in front of a Christian altar at her service:

What many folks might have not been aware of was that Kate also instructed Squid to make a limited number of Moai containers for her friends, to take her ashes to Tiki places she might like to visit.

Well, as it happened, early this year I took one of my trips to Europe and thought she might want to see the Rum Trader in Berlin:

The Rum Trader is sort of the Tiki Ti of Berlin: It's proprietor Herr Scholl upheld the art of mixology way before the young folks of the craft cocktail revival came along...

Inside, Moai vessel met Moai vessel:

I ordered us a Fog Cutter, which is very good here...

...and since I was drinking for two, I cannot recall the name of this concoction any more:

...just that we liked it. A part of Kate's ashes are now in the ground at the entrance of the Rum Trader.

Next, I took a little trip to Paris. I don't think Kate had been, and I thought she might like to see the Eiffel tower:

So some of her ashes landed in the famous Seine river. What is Tiki about that, you might ask? Well, the bridge that I spread these ashes from leads directly to the Quai Branly Museum...

...which is the great, modern ethnographic museum in Paris (right next to the Eiffel tower)

Kate and I had lunch at the roof-top restaurant there...

...and the rest of her ashes were used to fertilize the bamboo grove by the outside stage of this museum, where sometime in the future artifacts from her collection will be on display.

If anybody else has any stories of Kate's visits to Tiki places, please share them here. I also respect it if folks want to keep it private. I simply had some unique opportunity to grant her last wishes and thought she might like to see this report about it.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-19 2:10 pm   Permalink

Well done, Sven. I'm sure Kate's smiling.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-19 5:03 pm   Permalink

Sven, a very touching tribute. I never had the good fortune to meet or know Tiki-Kate, but she was clearly an exceptional lady, evident from the legacy of her Tiki Central posts and her lasting footprints on the hearts of the TC Ohana who knew her.

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-20 12:05 am   Permalink

Well done, Sven. Very well done, Sir. I am impressed and quite touched by your efforts. An exceedingly appropriate gesture for dear Kate.

"You're missed around here very much."

I will second that. Wish I didn't have to, though.

Sigh...

midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-21 06:43 am   Permalink

That was incredibly beautiful and moving, Sven. I know it takes a lot of time to assemble posts like that, but I'm very glad you took the time to share that with us. Not only do memories of Kate live on, but hopefully also the kind of passion and dedication she displayed in her life will live on in us as well.

Rob

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-21 12:42 pm   Permalink

Bora Boris,

Thanks for the Tiki Kate birthday reminder, thatís a great photo. I gave her a birthday toast with a Krakatoa at Trader Samís on Saturday. I know she would have loved this place with the combo of Tiki and Disneyland.

Sven,

Thanks also for taking the time to document and post Tiki Kateís travels abroad, what a fitting tribute. I am sure she is looking down and smiling.

I miss her on TC and regret not having the chance to get to know her better.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-22 12:48 am   Permalink

Thank you Sven God bless you both, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-20 9:42 pm   Permalink

Picking up where Sven left off, Iíve taken Kate on some adventures around Los Angeles.

From the Redondo Beach Pier ~

to Santa Barbara.

Some Urban Archeology with Sven ~

Visiting some Tiki friends around town ~

The Bronson Moai.

The Royal Hawaiian Motel.

The Glenlani Tiki Apartments.

The Tonga Hut.

Trader Vic's Downtown.

Some dinner

and drinks ~

Tiki-Kate meets a Tiki Kapu at Tiki-Ti.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-20 10:11 pm   Permalink

wow, my Tiki Kate Number is way to low to merit taking her out, even if I could come up with a worthy venue.
1,000 quatloos to the first TC'er that has the honor of taking her to the first tiki bar in Orbit.
Yeah, that's right Elon, I'm calling you out.

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-21 10:16 am   Permalink

Fan-tastic! That's the spirit, Boris, thank you.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-21 9:59 pm   Permalink

Damn Boris, that has to be my favorite photo of Kate (and you too) Sorry I missed this. We have traveled with Kate recently and I will have to dig out our adventures with her too. She would probably scold me gently for not posting as much as I used to.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-18 07:49 am   Permalink

Happy Birthday Tiki-Kate!

I recently found this picture of Kate shopping at Oceanic Arts, one of her favorite things.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-18 10:12 am   Permalink

Happy Birthday, oh intrepid explorer Kate!

I think of you whenever I am on my porch where your carved mask inspired by one at the "Tiki" apartments in Redondo Beach hangs underneath the Witco Spanish Galleon.

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-24 3:59 pm   Permalink

Thinking of you Kate, we miss you on TC. Hard to believe it has been over three years already.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation