FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » 1960 HiFi / Stereo Review 5-page article on Exotica (scanned)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
1960 HiFi / Stereo Review 5-page article on Exotica (scanned)
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-01-16 5:34 pm   Permalink

A friend kindly gave me the March 1960 issue of HiFi/Stereo Review, and I was excited to discover this article on exotica, complete with album reviews!

Flickr set

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-16 5:43 pm   Permalink

Nice find...will have to read more in depth later. Great pics of Les & Arthur.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-16 6:43 pm   Permalink

Wow, what an incredible find! Such full recognition of the genre in its own time has been previously unheard of, to my knowledge!

Am I not right, Exotica afficionados?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-17 08:49 am   Permalink

Thanks for sharing that !

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-17 08:52 am   Permalink

How perfect that the writer of the article worked at the "Institute of Aerospace Sciences" in Los Angeles!!!
A prolific author of crime fiction who took up racism and gun control in his books, seems like he was a great guy!:

John Ball Biography

Born in Schenectady, New York, John Dudley Ball Jr. served in World War II with the U.S. Army Air Corps and was later a columnist, broadcaster, and director of public relations for the Institute of Aerospace Sciences in Los Angeles.

In the Heat of the Night (1965) introduced Tibbs, an astute black police detective from Pasadena, California, who becomes inadvertently involved with murder in a racially and socially bigoted town in South Carolina. In this award-winning novel and the 1967 film adaptation, Ball's message was “don't judge minorities until you know what you're talking about.” His social consciousness is also evident in Johnny Get Your Gun (1969; Death for a Playmate), in which he addressed the implications of gun ownership.

Ball prided himself on research into such fields as jade collecting and the import-export business (Five Pieces of Jade, 1972) and forensic detail, which was always crucial to the solutions he presented to his crimes. His impeccably researched settings and police procedures are also evident in his books featuring Jack Tallon, beginning with Police Chief (1977), as well as in his nonseries works.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/john-ball/

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Ho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-17 08:59 am   Permalink

An excellent find! THanks for sharing this.

View Profile of Mr. Ho Send a personal message to Mr. Ho  Email Mr. Ho Goto the website of Mr. Ho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-17 1:48 pm   Permalink

so cool,
thanks Jab.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
litlgrey

Posted: 2010-01-17 4:09 pm   Permalink

Joyousness!

View Profile of litlgrey Send a personal message to litlgrey  Email litlgrey Goto the website of litlgrey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-18 05:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-16 18:43, bigbrotiki wrote:

Wow, what an incredible find! Such full recognition of the genre in its own time has been previously unheard of, to my knowledge!

Am I not right, Exotica afficionados?

Correct Bigbro! What an extremely cool find.

Thanks for posting jab!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-18 11:20 am   Permalink

The "omissions" here are interesting.

No mention of Robert Drasnin, but maybe "Voodoo" was still too recent in 1960 for this article. Did this album fly low and under the radar when it was first released? Maybe it wasn't "discovered" until the Lounge/Tiki revival?

Also no Yma, but maybe by this time she was being associated with other musical genres. Or was she grouped into Exotica afterward during the revival period?

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-18 12:13 pm   Permalink

I had read that the Robert Drasnin record was pressed in a very small amount.
I think 5000.
Jeff C?

I bet it was probably under the radar of the writer.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-01-18 4:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-18 11:20, JOHN-O wrote:

Also no Yma, but maybe by this time she was being associated with other musical genres. Or was she grouped into Exotica afterward during the revival period?

I wasn't too surprised that Robert Drasnin wasn't mentioned (there are probably others who released relatively obscure exotica that also weren't mentioned) but I was very surprised that Yma Sumac was not included, as her records were very popular (at least it seems so because they've been fairly easy to find in thrift stores) and Les Baxter was involved.

I think you may be right John-O, perhaps she was considered more in the Latin genre.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-19 06:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-18 16:47, thejab wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-01-18 11:20, JOHN-O wrote:

I wasn't too surprised that Robert Drasnin wasn't mentioned (there are probably others who released relatively obscure exotica that also weren't mentioned) but I was very surprised that Yma Sumac was not included, as her records were very popular (at least it seems so because they've been fairly easy to find in thrift stores) and Les Baxter was involved.

I think you may be right John-O, perhaps she was considered more in the Latin genre.

Yeah, I think the article was written a little too early to include the Robert Drasnin "Voodoo" album. Plus it was pretty obscure as well selling mostly through grocery stores and discount chains.

Yma Sumac, I don't think was ever considered Exotica back in the day. Exotica was still a germinating seedling waiting to blossom in the early 1950's.

I think she was considered more of an oddity at the time than anything else.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-19 06:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-18 12:13, bigtikidude wrote:
I had read that the Robert Drasnin record was pressed in a very small amount.
I think 5000.
Jeff C?

I bet it was probably under the radar of the writer.

Jeff(btd)

You are probably right Jeff. I will ask Bob next time I talk to him. Since he also worked for Tops he might have a more accurate number.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-21 08:40 am   Permalink

I don't consider Yma Sumac as really in the exotica genre.
I don't think singers can really fit in the exotica genre. There can be some singings, but music must be more important, and the singings can only be a part of the arrangements. Well, I think.
Although, I love her style, and the orchestration of her records.

I love in this article the phrase : "the educated whinings of the theremin". That's really well writen !!

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation