FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Is there an official place to post about home bars on Tiki Central?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Is there an official place to post about home bars on Tiki Central?
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-27 11:58 am   Permalink

I was looking through Tiki Central, and was wondering if there is official consensus on where to post info and pics of peoples' home bars, and bar builds? I've seen posts ranging in places from General Tiki, to Locating Tiki, to Creating Tiki. I was just thinking that it might be nice to have a "Home Tiki Bars" category, or sub-category somewhere on TC, to make it easier to find what peeps have built, plus how they went about it, and what extraordinary lengths it took them to get there. Any thoughts? Hanford?

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-27 12:23 pm   Permalink

We had a discussion about that here...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=22034&forum=1&start=135&hilite=Better%20Homes%20and%20Tikis

Go about 3/4 of the way down the page...I suggested something like this a while ago. I still think it would make a great category.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-27 12:27 pm   Permalink

I agree. A Home Tiki Bar/Room sub-directory under Creating Tiki would be cool. Someone would have to move all of the old posts overthere though.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-27 12:31 pm   Permalink

+1 for a home bar category

[ This Message was edited by: Murph 2010-01-27 12:31 ]

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2010-01-27 12:40 pm   Permalink

This comes up from time to time. Here's my take on it:

Are we talking about showing off final pics of one's home bar? Or construction photos?

Tikiaki's post sounds like he's looking more for showing off. Mai Tai's request sounds like more of a how-to.

Regarding how-to: I kinda feel building a home bar is not a single project but a bunch of mini-projects, that all would go under Creating Tiki.

If you make a lamp for your home bar, clearly that's a Creating Tiki -> Other Crafts post. If you build some shelves, does that go in Other Crafts? or Home Bar? I've always felt that it *still* goes in Creating. I've always felt that you can break down any home bar into many projects that, by themselves, don't belong in a "home bar" section. Or perhaps another way of putting it is: "Other Crafts" is basically a Home Bar how-to section.

I'm not saying that's the final word; just it's never been really defined otherwise by members here. If we can define what a "Home Bars" subsection of Creating Tiki would include, and how it is different than "Other Crafts", I'd seriously consider creating it (again, as a sub-section of Creating Tiki).

Regarding Tiki Architecture (as mentioned in tikiaki's other post):
That would be a cool section to have, I'd love to hear more about how it would differ than the other forums on TC, just so I have a good idea as to where it belongs. I already feel that sometimes you've got postcards of buildings being posted to General, and other times they're posted to locating. So I'd like to hear a bit more about how people see Tiki Architecture fitting in with the other forums.

Also, if Home Bars were included in this section, I would assume it's for finished photos only, or perhaps general in-progress shots, but real how-tos and step-by-steps would belong in creating.

And additionally, if this forum included home and commerical spaces, I don't think this would satisfy what Mai Tai and others have been asking for, which is a single place for Home Bars.

I'm open to hearing people's thoughts on this.

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-27 12:44 pm   Permalink

You could always add it it to This Post.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-27 12:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-27 12:40, hanford_lemoore wrote:

Are we talking about showing off final pics of one's home bar? Or construction photos?

Tikiaki's post sounds like he's looking more for showing off. Mai Tai's request sounds like more of a how-to.

WHAAA ? Uh-uh...I like the "how-to" posts the best...the process...so we can all learn from the people who have done spectacular jobs already.

I DO like to see the awesome finished product too, but being a creative spazz when it comes to this stuff, I really am more interested in the creative process, being that I have no real creative ability in that dept.

Here's my post...

<<Bosko and Mike Skinner have both done symposiums about Tiki Architecture, and I'd love to see a thread like Howland's Home Bar thread where he described in photo and text how he did his amazing home bar.

THAT would be useful for us Laypeople who can't really figure out how to do that cool stuff. I think the creating Tiki thread is so cluttered up (and I mean that in a good way) with carving and painting....ie the "Arts" of Tiki, that home tiki-fying should have it's own category. >>

I will also add that the exterior and landscaping of one's outdoor tiki paradise is just as fascinating and educational...ie: what plants to choose, and landscaping materials. My wish is for a HGTV style thread for sharing ideas, designs, building methods AND the beauty shot of the final product, as you can really get great ideas from the way people put together their home bar and other home Tiki spaces.

The key difference to me in the "creating tiki" environment is whether one is alot of artists post their art in progress, but it may not be for their home, it may be for a show or an event, in which they will sell the artwork, and not for their home bar.

I do see you point about each bar is a series of mini projects tho'....I guess that takes some figurin'...

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2010-01-27 12:55 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-27 1:08 pm   Permalink

I also vote for a sub forum of home tiki bars. I dont think it would matter if they were in progress or complete...

Im going to start my next new tiki room in the next 8-10 weeks.

Its going to be a complete overhaul with window replacement, chimney removal, new doors, drywall and new wiring (network, electrical, speakers etc).

I was going to start a new thread documenting the process from basic construction all the way through final details (lauhala, routerwork, cieling treatments, lamp placement etc).

A specific sub forum might be a nice way for all of us to easily find all the other similar projects (both in process and complete)

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-27 1:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

"Home Bars" would be a fine separate sub-cat of Creating Tiki, regardless of the whether or not you consider it broken up into smaller projects or really just creation of the whole space. The thread someone starts for their Tiki lamp project could still go in "Other Crafts", or be included in "Home Bars" as that particular lamp fits into their "Home Bar".

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-27 1:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-27 13:16, Haole'akamai wrote:
Quote:

"Home Bars" would be a fine separate sub-cat of Creating Tiki, regardless of the whether or not you consider it broken up into smaller projects or really just creation of the whole space. The thread someone starts for their Tiki lamp project could still go in "Other Crafts", or be included in "Home Bars" as that particular lamp fits into their "Home Bar".

Makes sense. My photos of the bar in process would go under "Home Bars" as well as the photos of the finished bar.
If I were making say a lamp for my bar I would post the process photos of the lamp under "Other Crafts" once I was done the pictures of it in place in my bar would go in my thread under "Home Bars"

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-27 2:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

My thoughts are that I'd like to see equally both pics of people's completed home bars, as well as construction photos and how to's. On the pictures front, I was thinking that some people have bars that are already completed, whether they built them, had someone else build them, or purchased a house that where the bar was already pre-built. And also, maybe someone may have pics of a relative's or friend's home bar, but that friend isn't online or doesn't want to join Tiki Central. Or perhaps we have found some pics in a photo album either passed down from family members or found in a yard sale, that have some bitchin' home tiki bar photos. Where would we post pics like these? The Creating Tiki forum wouldn't really work so well in some of these cases, since the person posting those pics really didn't create anything.

Construction photos of home bar builds obviously could be argued that they belong in Creating Tiki. But like Boris mentions
in this thread there are so many other threads of all the stuff that all of the artists are making, from carvings to paintings to ceramics to clothes to jewelry to whatever, that threads for home bar builds seem to get lost in a sea of artists posts, as well as a sea of posts there and in other forums that are in the wrong place, are from people that didn't use the search funtion, etc. To me, it seems like the amount of effort and care that people have put into their home bars, in an effort to help foster that aloha spirit and help keep tiki alive, deserves a little more recognition than just fading away in a sea of more generalized posts.

Quote:
Also, if Home Bars were included in this section, I would assume it's for finished photos only, or perhaps general in-progress shots, but real how-tos and step-by-steps would belong in creating.

My thoughts on photos and how to's on the construction of home bars would also be in the "Home Tiki Bars" category. If the person wanted to get really detailed, and show exactly how he or she built each lamp, rain window effect that Boris will not be allowed to see, etc, in excruciating detail, then those details could be linked over to a thread in Creating Tiki. But the general details and ideas of what the person did or built could be generally conveyed in the "Home Tiki Bars" section. Take this thread by Bongofury, for example. He shows in a dozen or less pictures in one single post how he transformed an 8 foot tiki bar into a bathroom vanity, and remodeled the whole bathroom floor and all, which is a lot less photos than I'd show on how to build a tapa cloth fish trap lamp like the one I built at Monkeyman's lamp class. If I was posting a home bar build in "Home Tiki Bars", I would make a general post like Bongofury did in my thread on the bathroom tiki bar conversion, but would show how I built exactly built the tapa lamp in a detailed separate linked thread in Creating Tiki.

Quote:
And additionally, if this forum included home and commerical spaces, I don't think this would satisfy what Mai Tai and others have been asking for, which is a single place for Home Bars.

Yeah, for my own personal tastes, I wouldn't want to see home bars lumped in with commercial bars, or commercial bar builds.

I'd also like to add that, as in life, not everything can easily be categorized as either black or white, but sometimes falls into a shade of gray. But I think that we may have hit upon an idea that that can be defined and categorized enough to stand on it's own merit. That being said, I'm also very interested in hearing more on what Hanford and others have to say on this. Let's keep those comments coming! Except for Boris.

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-27 2:34 pm   Permalink

I vote for a separate "home bar" category too!

I'm in the planning stage (on paper) today to begin a major home-bar tiki project in the next few weeks (The Grotto.)

Here is the point for a "home-bar" category: The Grotto is intended to be a COMPLETE, UNIFIED ENVIRONMENT. All elements are (or will be) themed, designed, built and installed specifically for this one unique home space. Individual elements - as stand alone(s) may be considered "other crafts" yes, but...but the original intent to create them in the first place is for a unified whole, as part of a collection of elements to satisfy a common goal.

Even though most of the decor elements will be hand-crafted, I don't intend to design, make,or sell duplicates of anything in the future and/or offer them for sale. Therefore I see these projects as beyond "other crafts".

In a home bar category I may start a thread especially regarding "The Grotto" and put all my build summaries, photos, TC member responses etc ALL IN ONE SPOT that makes sense! If anybody specifically asks "How did you do that?" - I'd respond in the "creating tiki" category at that time.

It will be easy for other members to pin-point my personal home-bar project if they choose to do so and not have to search thru several different thread categories to find me (or search thru TikiG's posts for individual Grotto element info.)

Tiki architecture deserves its own space as well. More on that later.

Thanks for reading this.

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KeithH
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-27 3:07 pm   Permalink

Hoping to finally start my own construction in the coming weeks I would LOVE a section dedicated to showcasing the home bars - a section that I would aspire to have my own home bar a part of someday.

Some great points have been brought up in this thread already.

If I build "X" for my own home bar... should it go in a home bar progres thread? Or its own how to thread? Lets say for example the glass fishing float lamps thread from not long ago.

My thoughts are that if you have a single project that you wish to write a "how to" that others may find useful... create a separate thread just for that project. I'd say post a quick blurb in your home bar "build" thread with a link to the "how to" thread - sure... a bit more work for some but would help keep things organized (at least in my own hazy brain).

I would love to see each "home bar" thread grow as the build progresses but feel that some may choose to only show the finished result - while others may only choose to show the progress of the build and you have to see the final result in person. What you post in your own "home bar" thread would be up to the poster.

View Profile of KeithH Send a personal message to KeithH      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-27 3:29 pm   Permalink

Is there such a thing as a finished home tiki bar?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-27 3:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-27 15:29, MadDogMike wrote:
Is there such a thing as a finished home tiki bar?

Yes, when you sell the property and move.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation