FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Is there an official place to post about home bars on Tiki Central?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Is there an official place to post about home bars on Tiki Central?
kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-27 8:14 pm   Permalink

I would love to see a home bar thread (in the vein of tikiyaki's idea of a home bar section). I think that if a side project is made for a single home bar project, it could go in the home bar section, if you have your own home bar thread, or the old standby, Creating Tiki. The difference with this newly proposed category would be that each thread is pretty much the property of it's poster. Generally, there would be no "show us your bar" community threads, prodding the general tikicentral population to show their bars in your thread...unless it was to give helping hints or to show how something similar was done with their own projects. There would obviously be some bars without progress shots, but I think that having a section devoted to the home bar/lounge/rumpus room builder would be awesome.

I think the real question is, should BambooBen be allowed to post pics?

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-28 06:07 am   Permalink

Glad Bill brought this subject up again and that Hanford is truly entertaining the idea. I agree that the subsection needs to be well-defined, but think all the suggestions so far would be helpful in doing that. I have a post on my home bar and since it is a work in progress (like most), I always go back to it to post updates...if the Home Bar section becomes reality, I would want my post to move over there. That is a lot of work for you Hanford, but we could all post a link, in a single "moving" thread, of our posting location to make the moves easier.

I love to look at home bars, probably my favorite viewing on the board, but they are so chaotically posted all over, it makes it difficult to find certain ones to reference. Less chance of accidentally hijacking someone else's post too if you are comparing your bar to theirs.

I think the option to post your own thread about your home bar is key and then perhaps threads for questions and answers like "all about sinks" or "best ice-makers"...it could be very organized, helpful and most of all...inspiring to all of us. There are just some amazing projects that people have created and I think it is important to celebrate that in a special section of the board.

Sure, people will make posting errors from time to time and may need to be redirected, but if there is a general description and a sticky with specific guidelines, I think most of us would stay on track. I know that building a lamp or making a lei would go in the "Other Crafts" section and think most folks would adhere to that.

Thanks for considering this suggestion Hanford.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-28 08:28 am   Permalink

I would love to see all the home bars (in progress or otherwise) in the same sub-section of creating tiki. I understand H.L.'s hesitation, but I think things would eventually sort itself out.

It would then easily become my favourite section to haunt.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-28 09:05 am   Permalink

I agree with slacks. A lamp making is it's own thread, but where it goes in your home bar is an update to that thread. Since a Home Bar is by definition a Creating Tiki, then it fits better there than under Locations.

All the various projects are hard to find since they may not have home bar in the subject, as mine does not.

It is it's own type of project, far from a shelf or lamp.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-28 11:26 am   Permalink

I'll agree with the vast majority on this, that Home Tiki Bars should have its own sub-directory in "creating tiki" directory/folder.

I can see that some confusion might be about shelving being under creating tiki. Well, my personal opinion and common sense seems to dictate that, if it is just a shelf to show off some wares in a room, then it should be added under Creating Tiki>Other Crafts thread since it isn't being directly linked to a home bar. But if it was built to hold the finest rum behind or under your bar, then into the potential Creating Tiki>"Home Tiki Bar" thread it should go. Home Tiki Bars directory should also include BOTH under contruction/work in progress bars, as well as finished home bars.

The Locating Tiki is a bit more sacred to me in the sense that this is the place you can find information about the polynesian themed paradises of the past, as well as ones that are still around and doing PUBLIC business. I never really thought home bars should be included in this thread, since they are not really public points of interest.

Regarding the Tiki Architecture thread would also be a great sub category/directory in the Locating Tiki thread, as the two definately coincide with eachother.

I think in the long run having or adding sub directories will benefit Tiki Central, and make it easier to navigate and quicken the search process, by eliminating non-direct forum posts in other sections of Tiki Central not relevant to your search.

The hardest thing I see is the movement of topics to get them into their proper new directories and homes, but I'd be willing to help, if it were needed. I don't have alot going on right now, so I'm here if there is a need to dig and move topics.

Great ideas all around.

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-28 11:38 am   Permalink

I agree with Slacks on this as well. A simple 'Home Bar' section would be great. I enjoy progress pics and drawings of plans etc. I know there are several different places on TC where people post them now and it's confusing. I wouldn't want pics of a lamp being built and then being hung in someones home bar. Put the building of the lamp in creating and the hung lamp as a bar improvement in the Home Bar section. I guess it's up to people to be somewhat responsible for not overposting every tiny thing they do. I think doing a bunch of improvements and posting all the work will have a greater impact. If people want to know how you did it then post your progress pics. This is how I would deal with it. People's home bars are the main reason I got on TC in the first place. Discovering 'Ona Tiki's bar on here was a revelation for me. Just my 2 cents.
Peace with every step.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-28 12:04 pm   Permalink

I think this is a great idea. I've often noticed, when folks post pics of their finds, or rattan or artwork, that they have a killer bar/lounge, in the background. Yet, they never seem to post pics of their bar/lounge on its own. Maybe a forum dedicated to the home bar/lounge would encourage people to do so. It could also include a how-to thread, in progress thread, materials source thread, idea thread, party pics thread, display area thread, water feature thread, etc. Let's get this done.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-28 12:13 pm   Permalink

Yes it would be nice to have a "Home Bar" sub in Creating Tiki for photo's of "finished" and in the works builds.

After doing a little searching for where to put my build outI figured Creating was the place for it but as others have said they get lost.

I also listed it in Locating Tiki as it has a listing for Home Bar's, feel free if in the Denver area top stop by for a cocktail!!!

View Profile of Beach Bum Scott Send a personal message to Beach Bum Scott      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-28 1:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-28 11:26, Tom Slick wrote:

The Locating Tiki is a bit more sacred to me in the sense that this is the place you can find information about the polynesian themed paradises of the past, as well as ones that are still around and doing PUBLIC business. I never really thought home bars should be included in this thread, since they are not really public points of interest.

I'm in the same boat; Locating Tiki should be strictly for public establishments.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-28 4:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-28 13:51, Haole'akamai wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-01-28 11:26, Tom Slick wrote:

I'm in the same boat; Locating Tiki should be strictly for public establishments.

+1. Just a thought, maybe Locating Tiki could be a good place for the "Tiki Architecture" sub-thread, for the architectural stylings of commercial buildings and establishments?

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-28 5:43 pm   Permalink

Like many others, I too think a separate home bar section would be great. That said I see the problems that could exist. I would say that if you are showing the build in sections that would be great, but a how I made the lamp over the bar would still go more in the orig. Creating tiki section. That way those who wanted to see the how to of the smaller projects could, but the others could follow just the overall build.
I would agree....home bars should be just the home bars. no pro.- commercial bars

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-28 7:09 pm   Permalink

Whilst i agree that shelves,lamps,tables etc. should go under the Other crafts section, i think that once an individual has started a thread on his/her own personal bar , then any additions to that bar, be it a lamp, table, shelves that they made should go straight back into the original post.
There is no need to start a new thread saying "New addition to bar".Anybody reading the forums will see that "swizzle" has added a new post to his original thread and will see the addition that they have made as an update.
I also think that although building the bar itself could go in the Other crafts section also, progress shots of it being built would belong under the Home Bar section as it will give you perspective of where the owner started and the finished product. Because although it is a craft it is still ultimately the building of the "Home Bar" itself.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-30 08:45 am   Permalink

I agree that there should be a Home Bar category and it can be placed right over the very non-tiki Ohana listing. That is just a big Happy Birthday to everyone posting place.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-03 4:09 pm   Permalink

We are just about ready to start posting pics of the 3rd and hopefully "final" version of the Wiki Wiki Room....so you guys figure it out soon....and just let us know where to post it!

View Profile of tikisobayli Send a personal message to tikisobayli  Email tikisobayli Goto the website of tikisobayli     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 5:10 pm   Permalink

Any more thoughts on this subject? Any progress, or thoughts on progress happening? Just checking.

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation