FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Beyond Tiki ╗ ╗ The show me your Witco Conquistador thread.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
The show me your Witco Conquistador thread.
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-27 6:30 pm   Permalink

Please share!

Quote:

On 2006-10-02 14:38, junk4cash wrote:
Here is a pic of the smokestand. Thanx.

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-27 6:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-09 19:19, Tikisgrl wrote:
Found this today, Conquistador? By Witco?

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-27 6:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-02 10:51, bigbrotiki wrote:
Meddle with an original Witco artifact? Doesn't the fact that it is featured in that great Witco Gallery photo in Tiki Modern account for anything:

O well, I guess Conquistador Style doesn't get any respect around here....

I might have to put my "The Book of Conquistador" project on ice til the awareness for the subject has blossomed more fully.

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-27 6:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-08 19:40, boutiki wrote:
I figured that y'all would be interested as well in seeing more Witco even if it's not strictly Tiki in subject matter. Sadly, we don't have nearly enough room for all these cool pieces and we'll have to let some go soon. Some of my favorites:

Sven says "musical instrument." I say "modernist abstraction."

This piece is pretty remarkable. The depth and complexity (both of the carving and forced perspective) is wonderful and the little details like the metal cross and painted sun are just great.

...or want to sail the tall ships:

Maybe you are a Spanish conquistador? You probably need these. (Think I should challenge Basement Kahuna and his weapons? Maybe not.)

You'd probably want an image of your king and queen as well:

...and maybe these too:

If you are a lover rather than a fighter, perhaps a musical instrument to serenade your sweetie?

Where do you put all those pesky magazines? Why, in your llama of course.

This guy will help light the way:

... and this firetool holder will help you stoke those flames:

So you see, there really is something for everyone. All in all, it's a very Witco world!

-Duke

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-27 7:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-27 16:13, bigbrotiki wrote:
Sorry...I don't wanna be mean now. TK, the "bowing out/too far gone" reply obviously does only marginally refer to your inquiry.
I never turn my back on an honest question (especially when I provoked it), and everyone here knows that I never tire, and am always happy to repeat my old adage:

"If it says Tiki on it, it should have Tiki in it!" or, in this case, that would be:

"If it says Tiki on it, it should have Tiki ON it!"

This is a Tiki Snob mantra invoked to slow down the inevitable watering down of the style. Inevitable, because there will always be people who will share your "liberal" point of view. Example:

This lovely Witco ensemble will be pictured in my upcoming book. Inevitably, in the future, this Conquistador furniture will be referred to as "Tiki" by some, because it

A) is depicted in a book with the title "Tiki Modern", and

B) some of it was selected by Elvis to grace his Jungle Room !

So, while the Elvises of this world will have a ball in THEIR vision of Tiki, we the Tiki snobs and Tiki elitists will continue to talk like fags (see "Idiocracy") and huddle together, and, with a sneer and a crazy grin on our faces, go on mumbling "...FOOLS, ALL!...THEY are crazy...WE know better..hee hee..", and everyone will be happy in their own way!

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-28 04:13 am   Permalink

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-28 07:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-27 18:30, Zeta wrote:
Please share!

Quote:

On 2006-10-02 14:38, junk4cash wrote:
Here is a pic of the smokestand. Thanx.

Cool, this is a Trabuco, correct?

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-28 09:11 am   Permalink

Gracias Tipsy y Lucas!
I am not sure if that's a trabuco... looks like it, but Witco is loco. One thing is for sure. It's feo!
I notice there's some dusty stuff posted above that is more into the "king and queen, castle style" than into the "Conquistador" style... But then again, Spain WAS and still IS a kingdom.
Also, I am not sure about the Lamas belonging to the "Conquistador" style, but I am sure many conquistadores saw many lamas during their conquering years!
So as we can see, it gets messy. And that's why we need as many examples of the PURE Conquistador style as we can find.
I would really like to make an article about the "Witco Conquistador Style" (WCS) for my Spanish/Mexican Tiki Fanzine. Help needed.

Conquistadores UNITE!!!

TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-28 1:05 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TIKI DAVID 2010-02-24 07:39 ]

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-28 1:07 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TIKI DAVID 2010-02-24 07:40 ]

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-05 9:41 pm   Permalink

This bar was in a house I used to rent for vacation. It has since been remodeled and de-tikified. Some things were kept in a storage area and a few are weathering outside on the patio. The 2 chairs went with the table that's in the storage room.

In better days:

View Profile of Koitiki Send a personal message to Koitiki  Email Koitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-05 10:47 pm   Permalink

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thomas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-11 12:51 am   Permalink

Bigbrotiki wrote:
So, while the Elvises of this world will have a ball in THEIR vision of Tiki, we the Tiki snobs and Tiki elitists will continue to talk like fags...

Right on! Now I know I'm elite, 'cause whenever I see the "Elvises" promoting their deviant version of tiki, I start talking like a fag! Woohoo! Oh, behave!...

(Just having some fun here Bigbro, I think the world of you.)

View Profile of Thomas Send a personal message to Thomas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-12 4:50 pm   Permalink

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-12 5:40 pm   Permalink

Does anyone else start singing that song by Procul Harum everytime they look at this thread? Just wondering!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation