FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Creating Tiki Ľ Ľ Tiki Carving Ľ Ľ A couple more weapons
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
A couple more weapons
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-29 5:08 pm   Permalink

Bad ass! Yeah, the braiding is quite nice as well. Great job!! G

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-29 6:05 pm   Permalink

Pendants look good!

I happened to go back over you thread just now, and have a few comments on past posts.
1. A solid Koa outrigger!?!?! That must be a heavy sucker! I paddled outrigger some, and know how many people it takes to carry a regular one to the water and back. And a whole race of Koa boats is very cool!
2. That's you in the #4 seat? You are a big dude! < memo to self: never piss off coconuttzo! >

3. Love the Kanaloa carving you posted on June 22, especially the staining. Did you ever make a mold of it like you mentioned you might do?

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-30 9:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Looking great! You've been busy, which is awesome.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-03 11:06 am   Permalink

Uhh I love the second one , so great!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coconuttzo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-03 12:01 pm   Permalink

Thank you:

TikiG, yeah it is. Men here like the look. Now I know what big breasted women feel like when others stare below the neck line .

TikiMango, not as busy as I'd like, but thank you. Speaking of busy, you must have a few suprises yourself because I've been waiting to see new pieces from the bone master himself. What's going on. Don't keep us waiting too long now .

Clarita, some girl friends of mines really like it too. They love the whale tail incorporated into the design & the koru cut. Not so much the nihoniho(spikes/barbs). Too macho for them I guess.

4WDtiki, yeah, solid Koa. We weighed it & it weighs just about the same as the fiberglass type, about 400+lbs. Also, no worries, I'm just a gentle giant kinda guy. It's all the good local kine grinds we got here; laulau, kalua pig, lomilomi salmon, poke(raw fish), opihi, haupia, poi, that's made me this size. Man just typing this is making me hungry. And no I still haven't made a mold of the Kanaloa. Haven't found the time. Anybody want to have a crack at it? If anyone's interested, PM me so we can talk story/trades .

View Profile of coconuttzo Send a personal message to coconuttzo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Irishcarver
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-08 8:24 pm   Permalink

Hey bro,

The pendants look great. I especially love the tiki one. The micro paracord looks real nice man. Just a tip if you want to use finer cords that are strong and lash real tight , I would recommend beige Jewelers Twine. You can get it on findingking.com. I always like to experiment with different types of cord and I have really like this stuff. Anyways, great work and keep it up!!

View Profile of Irishcarver Send a personal message to Irishcarver  Email Irishcarver Goto the website of Irishcarver     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-09 03:57 am   Permalink

Nice!

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-08 1:15 pm   Permalink

went through your thread.....amazing work man...just beautiful stuff......any new stuff in the works? thanks for the lashing sketch you posted on the Q&A bone carving thread.....very helpful. its hard to find anything out there. i have a collection building of techniques i had to search high and low for.

View Profile of Creative Chimp Send a personal message to Creative Chimp      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigodz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-08 5:04 pm   Permalink

Amazing pieces my freind lovin the work and detail.

View Profile of tikigodz Send a personal message to tikigodz  Email tikigodz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-09 9:27 pm   Permalink

Very classy looking pieces. Very nice.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-16 08:53 am   Permalink

very nicely done on both the carve and the lashing. I like it!

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coconuttzo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-17 11:01 pm   Permalink

Malo everybody for the words of encouragement. I am humbled by all of your compliments. I have a few pieces that I have finished or in the process of cleaning up a bit. I figured I throw it in for suggestions.

First, the finished pieces. A commissioned piece that someone wanted the design out of a sticker that they loved.

They wanted the complete body but I didn't feel like carving the complete body, it just takes too long, unless they were willing to pay more for my time invested. I talked them into just creating the head instead & exagerated a bit from the original design. I dipped it in a vinegar & instant coffee mixture, dried with paper towel, sanded the highlights & redipped in dye for about 20 seconds. Dried & buffed & this is the finished product

Next is my version of an ancient fishing lure which was purposely made as a pendant.

As a kid, I was always fascinated with them & after seeing the diagrams on that nzetc.org site, I just knew I had to make one. So using the diagrams, I tried to lash it as best as I could interpret the diagrams. The wood is Koa'ia which I am told is more rare than Koa. It was cut out from the natural healing scar tissue of a broken branch collar. The back edge is more curved than tradition & is shaped with a solid edge.

Only native artisans are allowed to harvest only dead trees or dead broken branches. I got some from a friend who makes Hawaiian war clubs. I like the wood because itís harder than Koa and polishes darker. I have no tung oil so I rubbed on olive oil & rubbed off excess a couple minutes later.

My lure awaiting aproval from one of my green friendly lawn mowers.

Next, although not tiki related, I made a pair of chopsticks for my wifeís hair. Theyíre made of Koa & I burnished the Chinese symbol of her name, Stephanie(at least thatís what the internet website said) on the end. It was my first time using a burnisher.

I drew the symbols with pencil & just traced the drawn lines with the burnisher. After the sanding & burnishing, I rubbed olive oil on them & wiped off excess a couple minutes later.

I was fortunate to go to a music store for my son who needed something for his first year in intermediate school band & there was a custom picture frame shop next door which had a box of scrap pieces of wood. I asked the store owner if I could take it which he allowed. I scored because a lot of pieces were long, narrow, thin pieces of Koa which I immediately pictured chopsticks in my head.

This here is from another piece of Koa from the box of treasures from the frame shop. I grabbed a strip of wood & was thinking of possibilities & came with an idea of a taiaha head. This is actually my first wood carved piece in life. I had fun till the intricate carvings of the spirals came up. I wasnít really happy with how the carvings of the brows were coming out so I stopped here.

I donít have any paua for the eyes but I feel that the intricate lines of spirals, especially the ones that traditionally are carved on the tongue/blade would make it more complete. I was thinking of just burnishing the lines on instead of cutting them out. It is a really small piece of Koa which is a little soft. Iím afraid of a small slip of the blade thatíll just ruin the entire piece. Any suggestions out there?

Finally, I initially started this design as a simple petroglyph open work because of my recent outrigger paddling interest, I didnít like the idea of wasted material so I included an oval shape behind the subject which later evolved into a surfboard shape, thus my SUP petroglyph boarder.

This is just a rough cut. Iím still deciding if I should make the entire piece with dimples like porous lava rock or maybe just the board. Any suggestions?

View Profile of coconuttzo Send a personal message to coconuttzo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-18 05:28 am   Permalink

LOVE those lawnmowers over there! And LOVE all your new pieces. You just gave me the confidence to say "NO" to friends who want massive undertakings on too big of a carve! LOVE it!
On the SUP guy, making the board pourus, wouldn't look like a board anymore. I dunno, maybe you can make that work...I guess I'd like to see it. You can be the guinea pig!! HA HA.
On the Maori piece, I'd think you'd have access to plenty of Paua? Hit up ebay if not...
http://cgi.ebay.com/4A-PAUA-ABALONE-INLAY-BLANK-VENEER-3-x5-10-00-D28-D45-/230197443286?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3598d63ad6#ht_1803wt_1139
There's so many good uses for it.
Just' loving your stuff.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-18 10:28 am   Permalink

the fishing lure is so beautiful, congrats!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-18 12:10 pm   Permalink

Sweeeet! You should have tried wood long ago.

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation