FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving A couple more weapons
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
A couple more weapons
coconuttzo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-20 6:28 pm   Permalink

Thanx Surfintiki for the tips, I guess you'd be right about the board not looking like one anymore. Thank you Clarita & Tikilizard for your kind words.

I decided to try the burnishing on the Taiaha pendant.

I can't say that I am 100% happy with the results because the natural curl in the grain on the tongue of the before pic was lost due to the busy graphic design that I was trying to achieve. Sometimes less is more which was a lesson well learned.

Next is my stylized version of an eternity twist which I made for my wife carved out of bone.

View Profile of coconuttzo Send a personal message to coconuttzo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coconuttzo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-03 5:51 pm   Permalink

I manged to clean a lil bit of my sup surfer & polished it up but I noticed that in order for the image to be viewed right, he had to be under certain light conditions for the shadows to bring him out. I wanted him to pop out no matter what the lighting conditions or what position it was being viewed from so I decided to stain the entire piece & sand the surfer image for contrast against the board.

I also made a tahitian or marquesan(not sure which is which) styled tiki hook with some kind of tattoo styled engravings. I accidentally dropped the piece during sanding stages and the hooked piece that I rely on for my lashing broke off. Not wanting to glue it back on, I decide to just incorporate the remaining knub in the design so I smoothed out the rough & sharp edges, filed deep enough grooves for the lashings to bite on to, & this is what I got.

Lashing this hook was immensly difficult because I never drill holes for my hooks if I tend to lash them in this style. I had difficulty lashing the first step 3 times around the cord without the loops wanting to run away while making the transition to the next step. That is why the broken end piece is so critical in my lashings. It was a major pain in the butt!

View Profile of coconuttzo Send a personal message to coconuttzo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-03 6:11 pm   Permalink

That is SO BIG, and BADASS!! YEAHH! Worth the effort my friend. SUP dude looks great, I bet every SUP'r would love one of those!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-03 7:09 pm   Permalink

PM sent......

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coconuttzo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-06 10:27 pm   Permalink

Wow, have I been gone that long?

Just a few pendants I've been working on. I actually had more new designs due to Christmas orders but I was so busy trying to make the mailing deadline to ensure delivery before xmas, I forgot to take pics of them. I got a chance to hop island & spent the holidays with the in-laws on Oahu.

I made this for a friend of mines(former high school art teacher back in Tonga) who lives in Oahu. He actually has his own pendant booth at he back of the Dole Plantation visitor's center. His pendants are far more superior to mines using the rarest of raw materials, but I still wanted show him how much he has influenced my new hobby. I wish I could show you pics but he does not allow picture taking of his carvings for fear of others copying his designs. Just to give you an example of how exquisite they are, while I was there, a woman used her credit card to buy 2 pendants made of wooly mammoth tusks(ivory) for $5,000 a piece.

I made this stingray out of beef bone and like my manta rays, I wanted to portray movement which I tried to make with the ripples on the sides. I dunno, I was just playing around, making it up as I went along I guess.

This here is a contemporary design of a traditional Hawaiian Makau being that it is more elongated than usual. I made it this way because I didn't want to waste a lot of the material, being that this is made from sperm whale ivory(tooth). I was given some scrap whale ivory from a friend who gets them from Niho Palaoa carvers. I was fortunate to find a fairly large enough piece to make this. I was even able to use the cut out center peice for the toggle.

The two pendants on my neck. Please excuse the bad lighting. The pic was taken at night and the camera flash was too bright.

This is a hei toki made for my wife's birthday...

and this is the other side of it with an "S" for my wife's name, Stefanie carved as a double koru symbolizing our two children. A two-in-one or reversible pendant.

Just a plain hei toki. I'm still thinking if I should make this a reversible pendant as well.

A coffee stained Tanagaloa.

top & rear view of Tangaloa showing how I attatched the loop. I thread a short piece of micro-paracord. Burn the ends till they swell up and that, prevents them from coming out.

This pendant intially started off as a hei toki but as I kept grinding down, it was becoming more porous, so rather than ditch the project, there was enough solid material to carve something else so a Moai came to mind. I was just going to carve the head and discard the rest but then figured I play around with the remaining shape and carve a body. When I was finished, I was kinda plesed with the results so I just kept it as is. This is my evolving Moai Toki(is there even such a thing?). I threaded a loop similar to the Tangaloa.

This is a koru designed matau with tatatau(tattoo) motifes. A commissioned piece for a mixed polynesian man(Tongan, Tahitian, Maori). The braided weave(Tongan design, left side) symbolizing his cultural roots intertwined with each other creating him. The human form(Tahitian design, center) symbolizing himself. The 3 korus(Maori design, right side) reminding him always that everyday life begins with a relationship with God first(top), family second(next below), before he can consider thinking for himself(bottom).
I lashed this hook on wihthout drilling a hole & don't ask 'cause I could'nt even remember how I lashed it. I just played around with different styles and eventually ended with this final look. It sure took me long enough.

This is a sperm whale tooth that my friend(the one who gave me whale ivory scraps) wants me to carve something out of. The dilemma I'm facing is that he wants something traditional Hawaiian, not scrimshaw, and hanging with point down. Anybody on TC with ideas are more than welcome to post a comment. I do have something in mind but it is not traditional, more contemporary, & my design would have it hanging with the tip side up(in my design, there won't be a tip).

The whale's tooth was pulled from a dead whale carcass that had drifted to shore years ago.

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-07 05:32 am   Permalink

Yer stuff's lookin' better and better, Nutzo! I think my favorite is that Marquesan hook.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-07 07:04 am   Permalink

You have certainly picked it up. This is my fav...

I did a Boar Tusk not to long ago that is similar to what you are describing with the whale's tooth. One thing I wanted to do is cut all the way thru in the crown, but my skills with bone are not that refined. Perhaps you can figure it out. There is a lot of material there to work with. The point of the tooth was formed by the hands and chest (as a bust not a full body). The curve of the tusk gave it a lot of character.
http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=tflounder#/d2blagx

I look forward to seein what you come up with. Don't be such a stranger.

[ This Message was edited by: AlohaStation 2011-03-07 07:12 ]

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-07 10:28 am   Permalink

God, there ALL great! I like the stingray, haven't seen a design like that before.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-07 3:18 pm   Permalink

Yes, definitely post more often. Lots of excellent stuff going on here!

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coconuttzo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-09 4:21 pm   Permalink

Thanx you guys for the comments.

So I called the whale tooth guy and discussed with him my idea & showed him a quick sketch of it. He seemed pretty stoked & is willing to go along. My selling point was, "Why have traditional when you can be the only one in the world to have this?" I guess I'll be working out the details, so it's back to the lab for me. Till then, A HUI HOU!

Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-09 6:03 pm   Permalink

Daaaaaaaaang thatsa-a-nice!!!!!!! Your work is beatiful and very detailed. Cant wait to see what ya do with that tooth. Keep the pics coming.

View Profile of Creative Chimp Send a personal message to Creative Chimp      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-09 6:33 pm   Permalink

That is some beautiful work. I don't know how you guys pack so much detail into such tiny objects. I think that has got to be so much more difficult.

View Profile of Grand Poobah Send a personal message to Grand Poobah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BlueSage
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-10 01:52 am   Permalink

Greetings from the Hilo side!

Great work, keep posting!

View Profile of BlueSage Send a personal message to BlueSage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-11 06:35 am   Permalink

Very nice new work Coconutzo!
Especially love the Ku head and the tatooed matau.
You have a nice material with this tooth... Can't wait how your skills will transform it into piece of art.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-11 06:41 am   Permalink

Very nice...that Ku is awesome!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation